Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #31  

Diet sodas have the same quantity of carbs even if they change the sugar with artificial sugar. Never drink sodas to cool yourself. You must always prefer having fresh juice or even packaged juices.
belljason92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belljason92 View Post
Diet sodas have the same quantity of carbs even if they change the sugar with artificial sugar. Never drink sodas to cool yourself. You must always prefer having fresh juice or even packaged juices.
Sorry, but this is just not correct. Diet sodas have no carbs. They may have other ingredients that you wish to avoid, but I know of no diet soda with any carbs in it.

I personally avoid juice and think it is a fairly unhealthy beverage for me because it has all of the sugar carbs (including a lot of fructose, which I'd rather avoid) of fruit and usually none of the fiber.

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-12-2011 at 12:38 PM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:35 AM   #33  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Height: 5'4"

My favorite "soda" is fruit juice with some club soda mixed in. Fruit uices still have a ton of sugar. So I figure cutting in half makes it a little better.
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #34  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Fruit juice can be extremely unhealthy. They can actually have more calories and sugar than regular soda.

Of all the sweet beverages, for me, diet soda is the lesser of evils. The perception of sodas' unhealthiness is worse than the reality. Don't get me wrong, it will never be a health food, but it's not exactly the chemical stew people think it is. Often they're getting the same or worse chemicals in other foods they're eating, if they eat any processed, prepared or restaurant foods at all. And they're often living with and using far more dangerous substances in their homes, but because they're not swallowing them, they don't take those risks as seriously.

It frustrates me when I'm lectured on the evils of diet soda by friends and family who are using so many household chemicals that I can't be in their homes for more than a few minutes without risking an asthma attack because of the odor and fragrance overload. Bleach, pine sol, air fresheners, detergents, oven cleaners, fabric softeners...

And if they smoke and/or drink more than moderately, I find it extremely difficult not to point out that the risks of smoking and excessive drinking far outweigh those of artificial sweeteners, preservatives and food colorings in diet soda.

Just as annoying are the people who are self-righteous because they drink sparking waters (which is only uncolored or less-colored soda).

People often think that because they're usually clear or very palely colored, flavored "sparkling waters" must be healthier than soda (because it "looks" cleaner and hey it's more expensive and says sparkling water beverage rather than soda - it must be better for you).

There are some really good books out there, that explain food additives and environmental pollutants, household chemicals... which help you really understand which products are safe and which aren't - and how they compare to each other.

"Reputation" is the least valid way to evaluate a food or product's safety, because reputation is a reflection of impression, not reality.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 182/158/105

Height: 4ft 11"

I am not a big fan of diet drinks. The calories are less but there's not alot of nutrition in them and the ingredients list often has no natural ingredients.

There was a television show in the UK recently (I forget which one) that conducted an experiment with groups of athletes. The first group drank regular cola and the second group drank diet and then they monitored how much they ate. The results showed that the second group ate on average 20% more food, this was because the sweetness of diet cola makes the body think it will receive a rush of energy and when this doesn't happen the body looks to find that energy.

Now personally, I have had the odd can of diet cola in the past and I have not felt an elivated hunger level but it is an interesting theory ...
lisa4621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #36  
hot mama!

S/C/G: 184/149/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Fruit juice can be extremely unhealthy. They can actually have more calories and sugar than regular soda.
Agreed about the fruit juice. Especially if you drink too much. DH stopped buying juice once he started his weight loss about 6 weeks ago. Now it's mainly milk, water and every now and then some diluted kool-aid (it's a nice treat sometimes-haha). We haven't missed the fruit juice much at all. The ONLY side benefit from the fruit juice are some vitamins... however, it's always better to eat the whole fruit. Less concentrated calories and more fiber.

I have no problem drinking an odd diet soda, but I do try not to drink them too much. For what it's worth, I don't eat a ton of processed foods either. I do think that some people are sensitive to artificial sweeteners though. A few of my colleagues/friends/family members get terrible headaches from aspartame. I also don't doubt that the sweeteners mess with the body's cravings for sweets.

In moderation, no problem for me
Tanna Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 281/194/181

Height: 5'10"

I used to drink regular Pepsi to the tune of about 1,100 calories a day. I finally switched to diet pop and have lost 87 lbs so far. I know this is not totally due to the switch but it did help a lot. I will not give up my Diet Dr Pepper;-))
I also lost a lot of inches off of my waist going from a 47" to a 34". I really question some of the studies that are now coming out against diet pop.
MGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 192/see ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I rarely ever drink a non-diet soda, preferably Dr Pepper or Barq's Root Beer, maybe once every couple of months? I used to hate diet soda but I really like Coke Zero. The past couple years I've been drinking it maybe a can a day, some days more than that. I do think it triggers some overeating for me. There have been periods of time where I don't drink any soda and feel like it's easier for me to stick to my diet that way. Also, I like to not eat processed/chemical laden foods so soda doesn't really fit in there.

The only exception is pizza. I don't know why but if I eat pizza, I want a soda with it.

What helps me to stay away from soda is make myself a water goal and to reach that I don't have "time" to drink soda, I'm busy trying to reach my daily water intake.
toodles11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #39  
Hap
next stop: fit & fabulous

S/C/G: 181.8/174.4/142

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Just as annoying are the people who are self-righteous because they drink sparking waters (which is only uncolored or less-colored soda).

People often think that because they're usually clear or very palely colored, flavored "sparkling waters" must be healthier than soda (because it "looks" cleaner and hey it's more expensive and says sparkling water beverage rather than soda - it must be better for you
I agree with a lot of your post but I just want to point out there are many many sparkling waters out there that are simply carbonated water and nothing else and just the carbonation alone hasn't shown some of the negative effects that soda may cause. However there are flavored waters (as you say) that do have the same chemicals as soda. One has to read the labels. I know it is annoying when some get on their anti soda high horse tho!

Last edited by Hap; 08-29-2011 at 06:37 PM.
Hap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #40  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I totally drink seltzer, plain, because I'm diabetic and the fruit juice is bad for me and I've been drinking seltzer since I'm a kid because I was told it quenches thirst. I did have a diet pepsi monkey on my back at one time. I gave it up because of the artificial sweetener(s). I try to stay away from those, and I am particularly intolerant of the taste of Splenda. I don't know why. I would occasionally enjoy a sugar free Sans Sucre brand cheesecake mousse; when they switched to Splenda, it changed for me and seemed very chemical tasting.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #41  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Well I have been diabetic so I can tell you that it had NO affect on this human's blood sugars. I am more concerned about the effects of the carbonation on bone density but since I have osteoarthritis, I am at less risk for osteoporosis.

I like diet soda. I can't afford it all of the time but I do like to enjoy them as a part of a balanced plan. Obviously, if you're drinking a 24 pack a day, you might want to moderate that behavior and create some balance.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #42  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Unfortunately, often the way research is conducted, some information gets lost in the shuffle.

If something helps some people, and to a similar degree hinders other people with weight loss, the statistics used to judge the data are likely to convince the researchers that there was "no effect."

Likewise, if diet sodas helps some people, but hinders more people or to a larger degree, the research will conclude that diet sodas hinder weight loss (and the fact that it helped some people will go unnoticed).

Or if diet sodas help some people, but hinders more people or to a lesser degree, the research will conclude that diet sodas help weight loss (and the fact that it hindered some people will go unnoticed).

All three of those results (no difference, helps, hinders) may be true for some people and false for others. The research can only tell us the trend, not the specific truth in our own lives.

In my own life, if I use drinking a diet soda to justify splurging on dessert - that's not a helpful strategy. However, if I choose a diet soda in place of sugary soda or dessert, that is a helpful strategy.

Like absolutely every "tool" we have for weight loss, diet sodas and artificial sweeteners (and all the other thousands of potential tools) can be used to help or to harm.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #43  
yehaw!!

S/C/G: 220/166/150

Height: 5'3

I can only speak form my experiance because I think all the reserch is done in favor of the all mighty dollar.. I tgink most of its crap
That being said I gave up all soda and coffee 3 weeks ago. I did have 1 rum and diet coke. Last weekend and that was only cause I wanted to knumb the pain assoicated with a terrible ear infection.. it worked also
I feel more aware and clear then I have in my whole life... I never wake up foggy and slow. And I have only craved coffe a couple times. I don't think it has had any effect on my weight loss. But I don't like being reliant on something for my mood or energy levels...
Also about the juice I thimk it is awsome for you if it is fresh homemade and noy just orange.. I have been making my own and have a glass or two a day as a meal replacement and its great I use carrots apples grapes cucumbers celery whatever crosses my mind.. and there's no better nutrient... . My husband seen what I was doing and gave up his daily 6-8 mnt dews and feels way better also. He loves the homemade juices
I highly recomend ditching the coke diet or not and the caffenne as well. Let your body learn to energize itself without the stimulants and fake crap...
brillmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #44  

I drink loads of diet coke - I know I shouldn't - but I think I might have a bit of an addiction! I prob have about 2 cans a day... which is mental. I've read that high levels of artificial sweetener in the bowel can increase the chance of getting bowel cancer - has anyone else heard this? Also, although it's not real sugar it can apparently rot your teeth too...
I'm going to cut down on the fizzy pop.... have a water target instead. You are right brillmama2 about getting your body to energize itself and ditching the caffeine
lulu84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #45  

I don't drink diet sodas. I've heard that it doesn't even help with losing weight. That's also a misconception in many magazine articles.

But I do believe there are some positive effects in relation to diet sodas.
jttw18 is offline   Reply With Quote