Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #1  
Live. Laugh. Love.

S/C/G: 191.5/126/120

Height: 5'1

Red face "FDA approves wider use of Lap-Band"

Dr. Oz spoke about this on his show yesterday about how the FDA has lowered the BMI requirements for patients seeking lap-band surgery if they also satisfy other criteria. This approval allows people with lower BMI (as low as 30) to qualify for this surgery is they have at least one weight-related medical condition like diabetes or high blood pressure.

I just wanted to put it out there and wanted to see how people felt about it.

Is it sensationalized how little these women can eat post-surgery? One woman only ate 4-5 spoonfuls of yogurt, 1/2 cup of chicken stock (soup) and 4-5 spoonfuls of pudding.

The other woman ate a little almonds, a small bowl of chili, and 4-5 slices of chicken and 4 pieces of penne pasta.

More information regarding the FDA's decision:

Los Angeles Times Article
February 16, 2011
FDA approves wider use of Lap-Band
InControl2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #2  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

My friend had the surgery several years ago (I'm sure it has changed some now), but she had to puree her food in the beginning, no matter what she ate. She ate very, very little. Now it seems that she eats about the same as everyone else. She has successfully kept her weight within 5-10 lbs. of the total that she lost.

We don't talk about it much anymore because it's been quite a while, but if you have any specific questions I can ask her.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 208(preg)/179/135?

Height: 5'3"

I would be interested in it. I have seen several people where I work have the procedure and be very successful with it. I have also noticed they all eat the same as everyone else now....
ryeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #4  

I have two friends who have had this done. Yes, you lose weight, BUT you cannot eat steak. Some people can't even digest meat very well. You have to chew your food very good, this is after you have been on liquids for a while. You will more than likely vomit your food from time to time if your band is too tight. You will have to go in for fills. If you can eat like everyone else then you band is not tight enough. If you can't eat like everyone else then it is pretty painful if you eat too much. Your food can actually feel stuck. You should go to the lap band forums online and talk to people who have had it done. There is a lot of good information there. I personally will not have it done. The weight loss may be great but it's too fast and leaves you with unwanted loose skin. Also, you are miserable. I prefer not to vomit my food. It's not a cure all, it's just a tool and leaves many people pretty depressed that they can't just sit down and enjoy a meal or even take a medication like normal anymore. It's not to be taken lightly. I think these surgeries are done too often these days and people are jumping in way too fast without knowing exactly what can happen. LIke I said, really read about it. Some people have more complications than the benefits. I've seen so many success stories here on 3FC lose weight without surgery so I know it can be done. I really don't mean to sound negative but I see what my friends go through. One friend says she would do it all over again, but she admits it is a struggle. The other friend just had it done last year and sometimes thinks about having it removed. We went to lunch the other day and she had to vomit after eating. She is losing weight but it is coming with a price. Her band is also twisted. My sister has a friend who almost died from her band cutting off the circulation to her stomach and she had to have it removed. That part of her stomach was almost black. There are many success stories though, just weigh your pros and cons.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

Oh boy. It makes me so sad they'd recommend WLS for someone who's 30 lbs overweight, although that makes them obese. Is surgery really better than an education program and structured eating plan in these cases?
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
Oh boy. It makes me so sad they'd recommend WLS for someone who's 30 lbs overweight, although that makes them obese. Is surgery really better than an education program and structured eating plan in these cases?
It's pretty extreme. Also, people aren't given the full side effects of this surgery before going into it.
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote