Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #1  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default Qnexa? Anyone heard of it?

I have lost weight with phentermine, but hated the side effects. This new combination of phentermine and Topamax is supposed to work well together.

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/...920090728.html
doIlookfat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/150/132

Height: 5'2"

I personally don't think it's worth the risk to take that kind of medicine. I hate to be a Negative Nancy (lol) but you have to learn how to maintain weight without that kind of thing ultimately anyway unless you'd want to be on it for your whole life which I'm sure you don't.
NinaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Topamax was put on the market as an anti-seizure medication. It basically helps deaden nerve cells. One of the side effects is that it helps people with migraines. It's not even typically prescribed for people with mild migraines either because of the side effects. And it has some pretty bad ones, including being so "fuzzy headed" you have a hard time carrying on a conversation. It's now being prescribed for people with severe ADHD because it slows them down so much. Other typical side effects include anxiety, depression, and and dizziness.

Prescribing it or taking it for weight loss is irresponsible imo.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #4  

I just started back on Topamax for migraines last week. I took it years ago and it helped tremendously for migraines and a side effect was weight loss as it helps with appetite. I have hardly an appetite now, especially for sweets as they just don't taste right. The side effects aren't bad like many say. You need to start off at a low dose and titrate up slowly. Maybe some people just are started off at a higher dose too fast and that causes the brain fogginess? Eating bananas is supposed to help with the brain fogginess and hand and feet tingling too. Those symptoms usually go away after a while anyway. I know I'll be very happy to not have the migraines anymore.

Phentermine and Topamax as a combo is interesting. I can see how they could work. They both could work alone though so I'm not sure why they are combining them??? I don't like the speeding effect of Phentermine..maybe taking the Topamax counteracts that effect? who knows?
Violet73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'3

but this drug is not approved yet.. its interesting but i think it can be really dangerous. i think there is a reason why so few diet drugs get approved.. because a lot of them have side effects that arnt work the benefits.
bellaella is offline   Reply With Quote