3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss News and Current Events (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events-183/)
-   -   Scientists say Carbs are Bad! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events/220041-scientists-say-carbs-bad.html)

nelie 03-31-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WASaBubbleButt (Post 3784888)
While I agree with you that some carbs are essential, there are studies that would disagree with us.

There are entire communities of people that have never eaten a plant. They survive on meat alone and they are healthier than us.

How do they not get scurvy and other nutrient deficiencies from nutrients found only in plants?

EZMONEY 04-01-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZMONEY (Post 3776997)
I bet that tribe did not have TV ~ Computer Games ~ pesticides ~ smog ~ cigarettes ~ alcohol ~ microwave food ~ preservatives ~ cars.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by WASaBubbleButt (Post 3777284)
Nope, I'm sure they don't. But they also don't have carbs and they are still doing better than us.

Not that anybody cares but what I was trying to point out WASaBubbleButt is that they probably don't have all the other things that we have and use that potentially harm us :)

kaplods 04-02-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 3784909)
How do they not get scurvy and other nutrient deficiencies from nutrients found only in plants?

Some of the nutrients we think of as "found only in plants" really aren't. Sea mammal blubber (fat from whale and seals), is reported to be exceptionally high in Vitamin C (with more vitamin C per kilo than oranges).

In the modern SAD (standard american diet) many of the nutrients we can get "only from plants" can come from other sources, but they're sources we're not normally willing to eat (insects, organ meats, blood, skin, bones...).

The meat-eating people referred to in the reference study were Inuit people (Eskimos) of Greenland, Canada, and Alaska and while their traditional diet is "almost exclusively animal protein," that almost is very important, because they do eat some plant foods, just not many and not all year round. Blueberries and related berries for example are very high in Vitamin C (which is the nutrient that prevents scurvy), and the Inuit do eat berries when they're available (often mixed with seal blubber (also high in vitamin C) to create a traditional treat akutaq, called Eskimo ice cream).

The Inuit also used plants medicinally, for example brewing a tea or tonic from stinkweed.

Neanderthin and other ancestor and "primal" diets often quote the research of these people as well as other aboriginal hunter/gathering people who eat very little plant food (or at least receive very few calories from plant foods, but use plants as seasonings and medications)

Exercise is also a variable too often left out of the equation. Hunting and hunting/gethering cultures generally require quite a lot of movement (and physical games are very popular in traditional Inuit culture).

nelie 04-02-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 3787570)
Some of the nutrients we think of as "found only in plants" really aren't. Sea mammal blubber (fat from whale and seals), is reported to be exceptionally high in Vitamin C (with more vitamin C per kilo than oranges).

The opposite is also true in that people associate certain nutrients to meat those nutrients are also found in plants. My mind immediately jumped to scurvy as it was a common disease hundreds of years ago with sailors and pirates who went for long periods of time without access to plants.

I also am aware of the studies on the Inuit and although their plant sources are limited I remember reading that their diet wasn't just meat.

VillageGirl 04-03-2011 12:57 AM

I bet that tribe did not have TV ~ Computer Games ~ pesticides ~ smog ~ cigarettes ~ alcohol ~ microwave food ~ preservatives ~ cars.....

I think you might be on to something, EZMONEY!

kaplods 04-05-2011 04:15 PM

For some reason, I can't see page 3 of this thread, anyone else having this problem?

kaplods 04-05-2011 04:16 PM

Even weirder, my previous post "appears" on page 2, but page 3 is still listed, but unavailable (when I click it, I still end up back on page 2).

Weird glitch!

_______

Ok, this post is now on page 3, and I don't see any other posts.

Ok, so I guess, uh, never mind (turns out I wasn't missing anything).

Still strange though (of course, now it looks like I was delusional).

Heather 04-05-2011 07:38 PM

You can change the number of posts per page. under "edit options" near the bottom. I set mine to 40 posts per page so there are fewer pages to scroll through.

deetermined2 04-09-2011 04:10 PM

I believe that a large part of the obesity epidemic is caused by all of the "unnatural foods" that are part of the main stream American diet.

Most of our meat supply is shot-up with hormones and antibiotics, as well as being fed grains specifically designed to fatten the meat, but which fattens us as well. Grain fed meat also lacks the CLA which we need to preserve muscle mass and remain lean.

Our dairy supply suffers from the same problems.

Our fruits and vegetables have high pesticide levels and lack the trace minerals that we need, because BigAg doesn't care about the consumer.

Our foods are full of man made chemical additives that our bodies can't handle.

Our grains have been hybridized a few times, making them more likely to cause allergic reactions in some people.

So I think it isn't just certain carbs that are bad for us,(and yes I am aware of and watch the glycemic index of the carbs I consume), but the US food supply, in general.

In Europe, many of the things that are allowed in the US food supply were banned in Europe in 1989, so over 20 years ago. I wish the US would catch up with Europe.

I wish US labeling laws would make full disclosure in readable terms mandatory. I think we should be told what our meat is shot-up with and what our vegetables are sprayed with so we can make informed decisions. One of my pet peeves is the way MSG is hidden under so many different names in products. It can be called hydrolized protein or even natural seasoning.