3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss News and Current Events (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events-183/)
-   -   Incredible Offensive Blog Post at MArie Claire (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-news-current-events/215889-incredible-offensive-blog-post-marie-claire.html)

knitsforfive 10-27-2010 09:01 AM

Incredible Offensive Blog Post at MArie Claire

Have you read this?

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/...ision#comments

The comments are great really.

ANy thoughts?

Breannaj1215 10-27-2010 09:49 AM

WOW. :( thats horrible

lazylioness 10-27-2010 09:50 AM

I just read this. And initially my reaction was to be a bit upset. But then I got past the language and paid attention to what the writer was saying, and really, I sort of have to agree. I AM a fat person, and I do not like watching fat people make out, or on the beach or whatever. Ironic huh! But the writer is also correct, in saying that being obese is essentially a choice. We have all chosen to live this way and make these bad choices, and now we are all choosing not to. Yes it is hard, yes it is not comfortable, but lets face it folks, being easy and comfortable and not making hard decisions is why we are where we are.

All that being said, I fully realize that I am probably not the "norm" when it comes to my opinion on this matter, in fact I never have the "normal" opinion about anything. LOL.

So while the article at first upset me, I was not "offended" in any way over it. It is the truth in the harsh glare of sunlight. And, it has served to kick start me out of the slump I was feeling in this week. So..yay!

amber961 10-27-2010 10:00 AM

I love the addendum at the bottom from the author where she says "i'm really sorry if i offended you.." but not for what she said. It looks like she's trying to cover her butt for saying it. And please note that she is an anorexic and has never had an issue with being overweight because of it. THAT is the most disturbing part.

ThicknPretty 10-27-2010 10:07 AM

Hmm...

1) Since when is depicting something "promoting" it? It's not like the characters break into song and dance about how AWESOME it is to be overweight! I'd say it's pretty realistic. Also, the characters met at an OA meeting...that indicates that they have recognized their weight issues. Doesn't sound like complacency...I doubt any of the episodes consist of the characters sitting on the couch feeding each other jelly donuts...oh, and making out, let's not forget all that disgusting making out they do.....

2) This article makes me want to watch the show. I haven't yet, but I feel the need to now. I could see where a comedy sitcom with two heavier lead characters could very easily take the "fat" jokes too far, but then, every sitcom has it's "thing".

3) With all that being said, I respect blatant honesty. This author has no tact and is rather crude, rude and cruel...but a lot of people probably think exactly the way she does and just don't have the nerve (or ignorance? lol) to admit it.

4) Television shows these days are FULL of healthy weight or thin or in a lot of cases, underweight actors and actresses. It is moving towards fair and closer to realistic to have a show like this. The real world is not full of Sarah Jessica Parkers and Calista Flockharts.

LoveRyGuy 10-27-2010 10:11 AM

IMO I find it disgusting. People should be thin to be aesthetically pleasing to HER? gag. Obviously "super thin Hollywood" hasn't motivated America to be thin, because it isn't happening. I just think you should be a little bit more sensitive when bashing entire groups of people in a public place.

flippychick 10-27-2010 10:20 AM

I for one, am just plain tired of looking at so many people who look the same. I got a magazine the other day and I thought the woman on the cover was three different actresses before I got to the text and saw that it was someone else. I like seeing all kinds of people - short, tall, fat, average, bald, bearded, glasses, and all kinds of ethnicities. I don't care if it's two women in a relationship or two men. But the fact that overweight people stir this kind of anger in others who may not be overweight, has got to be the symptom of a larger issue. Because honestly, unless you're sitting next to someone in a tiny airplane (and this is true of tall, muscular line-backer types too), why should someone else's size be so bothersome? I think it's a control issue and an irrational need for the comfort of conformity. The most offensive thing to me was that so many people gave this writer the time of day.

AnnieDrews 10-27-2010 10:24 AM

Wow, that blogger is one shallow b*tch. As one of the comments noted, this should have never gotten by an editor.

kateleestar 10-27-2010 10:26 AM

I watch Mike & Molly, because Melissa McCarthy cracks me up. (She's Jenny McCarthy's cousin!) She cracked me up as Sooki on Gilmore Girls, too. On Gilmore Girls, she was overweight (and was pregnant on it too!) and it was never brought up. She was just her best friend/business partner, and that was it. That's how it should be.

As far as the author to say it "disgusts" her to watch that, then... Maybe she shouldnt leave her house. Because, FAT PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE! Omg! Run, hide! :rofl: Ignorace is bliss, apparently.

And the fat jokes on Mike & Molly are slowly getting fewer and farther between, and they both still talk about eating less... So, points for trying. But at least the look like normal people and not 12 lb actors!

ETA: http://celebritybabies.people.com/20...regnant-woman/

liway 10-27-2010 10:36 AM

That whole article was just wrong on soooo many levels. The "apology" at the end was almost as offensive.

For the record, I'm a huge Mike & Molly fan, so I might be a little biased. Also, I would hardly call a couple of kisses on the couch - "making out". I think they're sweet. I think the writing is hilarious - even with the fat jokes - I guess that's just me though - and I might be a little harder to offend. That said, its a TV show....if you're offended - change the channel. Simple! :)

Jelma 10-27-2010 10:42 AM

I dislike the show she is talking about not because it is not funny and there is a constant barrage of fat "jokes." Roseanne had two overweight/obese main characters but did not make weight the central theme.

Although the writer was extremely nasty in her post, she is right - for the most part it is something you can control, that is what we are all doing on this website. But she obviously has some major personal issues with her own self image and weight and no one should have this one person's opinion determine their self worth.

NiteNicole 10-27-2010 10:43 AM

I wonder how she felt as an anorexic when people thought they could "fix" her by telling her she looked disgustingly thin and she should just eat a little something. I mean, if it's just that easy and all, it must work both ways.

KimL1214 10-27-2010 10:45 AM

I can't believe that this article actually made it past an editor. With that said, as angry as I was when I first read it. It makes me wonder. How many people think this about me when I used to be in public with my ex? We held hands, hugged, kissed... in public... did that gross people out? If it did, at least those people were smart enough to keep it to themselves... while this woman apparently felt it was her right to degrade all "obese" people. Her apology is pathetic, and only there to try and save her job! If you haven't read the editors stand on the article yet... read this...

http://fashionista.com/2010/10/exclu...ist-blog-post/

katy trail 10-27-2010 10:50 AM

i couldn't load the article. i hated the title. from the comments it sounds like i would've hated it. i didn't grow up over weight. i was on the higher end of the normal range. but one of my sisters and i are almost the same age. growing up i really tried to empathize. now that i'm obese myself, i understand much more. i just generally feel so much empathy for the 'fat' people. we have the same mental struggle thin or fat. so many thin women obsess about how they look, or losing weight. it's just so wrong for the skinny people to make it such a big deal, or act like fat people are a different species or something.

and i looved sooki too! i watch parenthood just for the mom from gilmore girls. oh i used to love that show. i guess it's how i wish i could be with my single parent mom.

beerab 10-27-2010 11:04 AM

Wow- Just WOW.

I have to agree with those that say don't watch it then. I mean really- it's a sitcom I doubt they are doing anything crazy like we see in the movies.

To be honest insanely long intimate scenes with even thin people bother me cuz I'm like get to the story! lol.

Bottom line the author needs to get over herself. She's probably one of those lucky people who eats all sorts of junk and is just naturally thin. If she were in my body eating the diet she most likely does she'd probably be 300 lbs.

Btw I totally agree with this comment here:

You say, "I think obesity is something that most people have a ton of control over. It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it." I would say the same for being a jerk. Hopefully you'll take it to heart.

ZING!!!!

saef 10-27-2010 11:43 AM

This woman needed to ruminate longer before writing something that a lot of people would read. That is, if she really wanted to promote a thoughtful discussion. But I suspect she & her editors did not, and all they wanted was a large number of Document Page Views showing up on the counter that monitors individual Web site visitors -- and anyone can get big numbers there by putting out something that irritates many people. I resent that they get to add me to their count because I clicked on the link.

I take this with a shaker full of salt. It's a fashion magazine, which has never been my go-to source for advice on physical or psychological health. It's primarily a source for looking at expensive advertisements of clothes, make-up & hair & skin care products & perfume -- all featuring naturally slender people. Because people can be naturally slender, apparently.

But no one is ever naturally fat. It just works one way.

Yeah, right.

LiannaKole 10-27-2010 03:30 PM

I watch the show (and love it! The actress is hysterical!), and I'm not uncomfortable with it at all. They're just two people who really like each other. And two obese people kissing? So what? Other than their weight, neither is bad looking at all. The actress is STUNNING really.

Why should people have to stop living their lives because they're obese? That's just downright stupid. We watch people who smoke make out on TV, AND I've seen drug addicts make out on TV, AND girls with body weights low enough to categorize them as anorexic make out with someone on TV. Really, that argument in the post doesn't hold.

It's nowhere near the worst article I've read, but as I was reading I couldn't help but think, "This writer cannot ever have been obese." Usually when people say things like, 'all you have to do to be healthy and skinny is ____,' it's a safe bet they've never struggled with being far too big. Actually, I think she is/has been anorexic, so she should REALLY understand what it is to battle a food disorder.

It's also interesting the level of dehumanization the writer puts on "fat people" in general. Like she shouldn't have to witness the grossness of them being in love or dating or even existing. She basically said that if you're obese, she doesn't want to see you AT ALL, not even walking across a room.

I'm disappointed in her, though sadly not surprised. I think it's fine for her to have an opinion, but the way she went about it was probably nothing more than an attempt to gain readers or something.

Interesting, though.

stacylambert 10-27-2010 04:14 PM

Seems kind of like a trolling article to me. I really can't believe someone would seriously post that and risk losing readers. I think she's just trying to stir up drama and get some more publicity.

kaplods 10-27-2010 05:14 PM

The article disgusted me, so I stopped reading. It makes me wonder why the author didn't do the same (not really, stirring up debate is the obvious aim). If fat lovin' disturbs her so much, why didn't she just change the channel.

With all the horrors that are graphically depicted on tv (rapes, murders, drug use, child abuse, child abductions/rape/murder....) I think it's more disturbing that it's fat affection that disturbs her enough to inspire commentary.

pipernoswiper 10-27-2010 05:36 PM

i love when people say "choose to be fat", now i understand! here i thought i had suffered from mental illness for all these years.....now i know it was my choice the whole time. great. thank you. i will have to let my doc know too that finding my way to 300 plus pounds TWICE isnt an eating disorder after all!
i bet who wrote the article "chose" to be an anorexic too!

mandalinn82 10-27-2010 05:53 PM

Jen Lancaster (LOVE HER. Read her books!) wrote a counterpoint:

http://www.jennsylvania.com/jennsylv...ie-claire.html

kaplods 10-27-2010 05:58 PM

Awesome rebuttal!

junebug41 10-27-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandalinn82 (Post 3541284)
Jen Lancaster (LOVE HER. Read her books!) wrote a counterpoint:

Ack! I came here to post just that. Love love love Ms. Lanacaster. I will buy every book of hers in hardback till the end of time. This is my solemn vow.

GreenTeaYum 10-27-2010 06:30 PM

Oh. My. Gosh. That article is so incredibly offensive, it's unreal. I would be less surprised if it were on a personal blog or private webpage, but no- this is Marie Claire, a very prominent magazine that women all over the world read. I am shocked that this is how they choose to portray themselves.

I found this counterpoint article in the comments, I clicked it out of curiosity and found myself laughing alone at my desk. It does have some offensive language, but I highly recommend it- she sums up my feelings towards the article perfectly.

EDIT: Oh no! I didn't see the 2nd page of posts when I went to share the link. Apparently, mandalinn82 beat me to it.

chickybird 10-27-2010 07:07 PM

As an OA member, I am livid over this crap. Not that I buy those kind of trashy magazines anyway, but still..
Thanks for showing the rebuttal!

Hyacinth 10-27-2010 07:28 PM

I cancelled my Marie Claire subscription after reading this. I'm fat and I love to spend money on fashion and beauty, but I don't love to be insulted by people who take my money.

Speaking of which, does anybody know of a magazine that promotes all body sizes? I miss Mode magazine.

Thank those of you for calling out Jen Lancaster. I haven't read her books, but I am off to update my amazon wish list. :)

grammajiggles 10-27-2010 07:45 PM

Personally I find the blog article offensive but then we are all about free speech ... and it was voicing somebody's own opinion whether we agree or not ! Tat little rebutle after was just to protect thier own hinny ...... Personally I think somebody that allowed that to be posted should go eat something really fattening ! Just kidding ! I love Mike and Molly and don't even see them as " obese " ... I LIKE their sense of humor and their " truths " ............................ and that is JMHO !!!!

kaplods 10-27-2010 09:47 PM

Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences. And exercising of free speech invites others to do the same.

I don't personally subscribe to Marie Claire, but I would have cancelled my subscription if I did. I do (or rather did) occasionally buy it on the newstand, but I doubt I'll be doing that for a while. The article, and the magazine representatives reaction to it (as described in several reports of the incident) left too bad a taste in my mouth.

kaplods 10-27-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyacinth (Post 3541373)
... does anybody know of a magazine that promotes all body sizes? I miss Mode magazine.

I found this (looks promising, though it's online only)

http://www.plusmodelmag.com/

kaplods 10-28-2010 12:32 AM

I have to say this blog editorial is hitting me a lot harder than it should. It just pulls me right back into the mindset of my teens and twenties - when I felt obligated to protect "decent people" from the disgusting horror of my presence.

So many of us feel we don't deserve a "real life," and definitely not a "public life," until we reach some arbitrary level of social acceptability. Some people never feel they've reached that level (and as a person who's struggled with anorexia, as she claims, Ms. Kelly should have realized this and known how hurtful such comments could be).

It's bad enough that it's still largely (no pun intended) taboo for fat people to exercise or in any way be active in public, but to label normal human affection as disgusting and off limits to us as well. It burns me up a lot more than it should.

kaplods 10-28-2010 02:19 AM

"Counterpoint" articles have been added, entitled Free Speech: It's a Beautiful Thing and Yes, Fat People Exist: A Vote in Favor of More Diverse Bodies on TV

ThicknPretty 10-28-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 3541716)
So many of us feel we don't deserve a "real life," and definitely not a "public life," until we reach some arbitrary level of social acceptability. .

I feel this way. :( I just realized it the other day. I have these thoughts..."I can't wait to go out and dance in a hot dress when I'm skinnier...I bet I'll meet a great guy when I'm skinnier...I can't wait to allow people to take pictures of me when I'm skinnier...I'd love to go out with my friends, but I look so gross and fat...

It's like I don't want people to "view" me until I'm less disgusting to them.

AnnieDrews 10-28-2010 11:57 AM

Here's an article discussing this event:

http://www.shine.yahoo.com/channel/h...ology-2404430/

Jezlyn 10-28-2010 09:39 PM

And here's an interview about the article with the creator of "Mike & Molly" - http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/28/mi...-mark-roberts/.

just keep swimming 10-29-2010 12:04 AM

Another interview with the creator. He's funny. I so want to like this show, but I watched like 5 minutes and couldn't do it.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv...ck-on-fatties/

NiteNicole 10-29-2010 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 3541765)
"Counterpoint" articles have been added, entitled Free Speech: It's a Beautiful Thing and Yes, Fat People Exist: A Vote in Favor of More Diverse Bodies on TV

Oh, she is totally allowed to say it. I won't argue otherwise. And I'm totally allowed to cancel my subscription to Marie Claire (done) and never buy it again.

Tarisaande 10-29-2010 12:45 PM

I'm probably the only person in the world who isn't outraged by this article. I don't like it or agree with her, but I understand her opinion.

I know my point of view is unpopular and have already been accused of being "a zealot and a convert", having lost weight. Because somehow, were I still overweight, I also don't think I would have felt that way. People can post their opinion, and the author of the article did it in a very public space. Her opinion happened to be incredibly insensitive and not PC, but she was asked to write an opinion and she did. Kudos for her honesty, too bad it was the wrong place for it.

kittycat40 10-29-2010 02:28 PM

I want to say both of the main actors on mike and molly are quite good looking. And fat. And their comments are real, as in hits the nail on the head, about struggles with weight, body image and food (well, as real as a sitcom would allow.)
It is fun and sweet and not a little predictable and dopey.

As for the blog post...bfd.....there is stupidity and hate everywhere.

beerab 10-29-2010 05:14 PM

I think there is a difference between having an opinion and just being plain mean. Saying people should lose weight- yeah- valid opinion- saying a fat person walking across the room DISGUSTS you? That's just RUDE.

Opinion isn't free passage to be cruel. I don't mind her saying you shouldn't be overweight- but she was callous- I hope her overweight friends stop speaking to her- I know I would cut off a friendship with her. I'd always be thinking "damn so all those times she said nice things to me she was really disgusted by me?"

JayZeeJay 10-29-2010 06:51 PM

As an aside, I didn't know until I followed the links above that the show Huge has been canceled after its 1st season. That makes me sad. Despite being aimed at teens, I liked the show and particularly Nikki Blonsky a lot. I wish there was a show like that when I was a teenager.