Incredible Offensive Blog Post at MArie Claire

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • Hmm ... It makes me sad to read that, but I'm not offended — just embarrassed. She talks about how it disgusts her to even see a fat person walking around a room, and that kind of hit home — I always feel like my life has to be one giant apology for existing, and apparently it does.

I actually think the way she wrote about it was pretty fair. I guess my feeling is that, like a couple of others said, I'm fat by choice (well, laziness), it isn't healthy, and it isn't attractive. So why should other people pretend they aren't disgusted? I almost think if fat people weren't so coddled maybe we would be more likely to get our butts in shape earlier.

But I understand all of that ^ could just be the self-loathing talking.
  • The author of this article is a bigot. simple as that. (she KNOWS some fat people???) I mean really, if she had inserted (ethnic background here) she would've been astrocized by her comments and would it never have gotten past the editors desk.

In today's society fat people are the last acceptable group of people it is actually okay to put down and condemn for how they look.

Quote:
    But I understand all of that ^ could just be the self-loathing talking.
    Paradisefalls...I would have to say it is.

I am fat...that does not give ANYONE the right to try and shame me into something I am not. I choose to lose weight because I want to be healthy..my self esteem is just fine. I don't think anyone has the right to post an article like this as the only point that I can see to it is that the author is being deliberatly cruel and predjudiced towards a group of people. Many overweight people would not CHOOSE to be overweight but sometimes mental health/environment or medical health directly affects a person's weight. Sometimes we just weren't taught how to be healthy ...who knows but it does not give anyone the right to talk with such disgust and desrepect towards a group of people they do not know.
  • Oh, what profound "advice" she gave. I just love her simplified suggestions (sarcasm), but not every situation can be "fixed" so easily. You can't just slap a band-aid over it, and say you're done. *rolls eyes*

What about when she was struggling with anorexia? (If she even was) I wonder how many times she had to explain herself when people would tell her to "just eat something", that it's easy to fix, that it's completely a choice. You'd think she would have more decency than that, because of her anorexia, that she'd tread a little softer.

And let's not forget that oh-so-moving apology, how she had to make sure we didn't forget that she likes to see women of all sizes on Television and in magazines ... just not the morbidly obese.
  • I have to input on this....Like Mike & Molly, my finance and I are both overweight. We are always holding hands, kissing, and hugging each other out in public (not in a "making out" situation, just a few pecks and a nice hug Do we gross people out? If so, CLOSE YOUR EYES!!!! Hopefully you will run into a pole and knock some sense into you. Love between two people, no matter what their size, is sweet! When did sweet become gross???
  • She's just jealous, because she deems the stick-thin models, actresses, and herself higher than us lowly overweight people, and feels that only they and herself are entitled to romance.
  • Do you think that person gets paid for spouting off all that crap... and then thinks it is made better with a "sincere" italicized apology. Made me cringe and feel sick at my stomach and I will never purchase a Marie Claire.
  • I think that was the most rediculous thing I have ever read... it disgusts her to see a fat person walk across the room?!?!?!?!? wow I dont even really know what to say... hmm us that are overweight should just give up and not be seen in public because of people like her.... Ha no way. She is a horribly sahllow person.
  • Harsh, but I think she has some good things to say, like this:

Quote:
    But ... I think obesity is something that most people have a ton of control over. It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it.
    It's so true, and as I'm surrounded at work by overweight people who continually make excuses for why they can't lose weight, it's a valid point.

Yeah, what she said was mean, but that's her opinion. She shouldn't have had to apologise for voicing her views. Free speech, and all that.

And to be frank, no programmes or magazines should promote obesity, as one of the commenters mentioned. That's why all the models and most of the actresses are slim. Beauty is health, to quote Tyra Banks, and being obese is NOT healthy. Nor is super-skinny either, but anyone who knows anything about the fashion industry knows that most designers won't use anorexic models.

I had a point but I lost it :/ Sorry xD
  • haha! i love how in her apology she says "I would like to reiterate that I think it's great to have people of all shapes and healthy sizes represented in magazines (as, it bears mentioning here, they are in Marie Claire) and on TV shows — and that in my post, I was talking about a TV show that features people who are not simply a little overweight, but appear to be morbidly obese. (Morbid obesity is defined as 100 percent more than their ideal weight.) " Like we should totally ignore people of that size in the media and pretend they don't exist or something?
  • im just going to laugh at this...actually makes me wanna grab a fat boy, go to her work or outside her home strip down to our undies and rub our fat rolls together.

if she doesn't like looking at fat people,well i guess she needs to pick her eyes out..more overweight people out there than not...
  • You know, I've pretty much given up hope that people of all sizes will be accepted. I mean, ****, there are places hat still have RACIAL tension. I mean, you'd think that in 2011 THAT wouldn't exist but, alas, it does. Yes she was insensitive but I have had an eating disorder and it does warp the mind quite a bit. So I figure just forgive and forget. That does not mean, however, that I will be buying Marie Claire. I hate that magazine anyway.
  • Quote: im just going to laugh at this...actually makes me wanna grab a fat boy, go to her work or outside her home strip down to our undies and rub our fat rolls together.
    ha! I like how you think!
  • Quote: im just going to laugh at this...actually makes me wanna grab a fat boy, go to her work or outside her home strip down to our undies and rub our fat rolls together.
    Actually, something similar happened ...

http://stacybias.net/2010/10/big-fat...laire-article/
  • oh, that is great!
  • The big thing that bothers me about this blog is that this woman is basically saying that to be worthy of affection, you must be the right size. Love isn't a roller coaster ride with a sign posted, "Must be this weight or down to ride". Everyone everywhere deserves love, wants love, and desires love. There's nothing wrong with two people sharing their love on TV, and definitely not for plus sized. Plus, they're doing something constructive and healthy, which is going to an OA meeting! Many people meet in bars. Nothing is wrong with that, but which one seems more conducive to health? In any case, this woman needs to get her head on straight. Most of my life, I have felt, as Paradise Falls has said, "my life has to be one giant apology for existing". Well, no more, and nobody else should answer to a society filled with people like her.