Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

Default so being fat is contageous???

OBESITY BUG YOU CAN CATCH

Obesity is a major problem in Britain

Monday January 26,2009
By Jo Willey Health Correspondent Have your say(3)

OBESITY can be “caught” as easily as a common cold from other people’s coughs, sneezes and dirty hands, scientists will claim today.

Researchers believe that an airborne “adenovirus” germ could be causing the fat plague that is blighting Britain and other countries.

As many as one in three obese people may have become overweight after falling victim to the highly infectious cold-like virus, known as AD-36.

It is known to cause coughs, sore throats, diarrhoea and conjunctivitis but has now also been found to make fat cells multiply, leading to weight gain.

The shocking discovery will add to evidence that Britain’s obesity epidemic is not simply down to an unhealthy diet or lack of exercise.

Research suggests a third of UK adults will be grossly overweight within three years, with Britain even predicted to overtake the US as the most obese nation in the world. The problem already causes 9,000 premature deaths in the UK a year and costs the NHS £1billion. Many experts already believe that genes can make some people more susceptible to weight gain and now it seems that infections could also hold the key.

Studies have shown that chickens and mice infected with AD-36 put on weight quicker than uninfected animals, even when they were not given extra food. It has also been found to cause huge weight gain in monkeys. Now studies on humans show that 33 per cent of obese adults had contracted AD-36 at some point in their lives, compared with only 11 per cent of lean men and women. Professor Nikhil Dhurandhar, of Pennington Biomedical Research Centre in Louisiana, US, who led the research, said AD-36 continued to add weight gain long after those infected had seemingly recovered. His studies indicated that the virus lingers for up to three months, during which time it multiplies fat and is contagious to others.

Dr Dhurandhar, who will make the extraordinary claims on BBC2’s Horizon tonight, said: “We now know that this virus goes to the lungs and spreads to various organs such as the liver, kidney, brain and fat tissue. “When it goes to fat tissue it replicates, making more copies of itself and in the process increases the number of new fat cells, which may explain why people get fat when they are infected with this virus.” The findings were welcomed by some medical experts, although others sounded a note of caution.

Dr Shahrad Taheri, clinical director for obesity at the Birmingham Heartlands Hospital, said: “Most people believe obesity is caused by environmental factors. “But there is a lot of information about how things like the furring up of arteries could be linked to infections. It is not beyond reason to think about various different factors, including infections, adding into the mix about what causes obesity.”

Tony Barnett, professor of medicine at the University of Birmingham, said: “These associations may give some clues but they detract from the basic message that we all need to take more exercise and eat a bit less. “This kind of research needs to go on but we have to be cautious.”

Dr Colin Waine, chairman of the National Obesity Forum, said: “We must acknowledge it is a contribution to the research but it doesn't alter the management of obesity.” The documentary also reveals research which claims to explain why those on diets feel permanently hungry, even when overweight. A US study found that people have a “natural body weight” and respond to losing a few pounds in the same way as if they were starving.

The findings suggest that overweight people who diet will always suffer hunger pangs, even if they become lean and healthy.
flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:54 AM   #2  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

Whaaaaaaaat?

"Let's not stand next to her, she's fat. We might catch obesity or something." lol!

Oh well.

Last edited by RedPorcupine; 01-26-2009 at 03:55 AM. Reason: misspelling
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think one of the reasons finding effective treatments for obesity is so difficult, is because there are many causes. I've only met a few people who were always thin or even underweight, despite high calorie consumption, and then suddenly, for no apparent reason experienced a metabolism shift and gained weight - but maybe those folks did "catch" something that drastically lowered their metabolism.

I think it's interesting that there might be a viral link to some obesity, but if anyone uses it as justification for unhealthy behaviors, they've missed the point.

I do think obesity research is still in its infancy, and I think studies like this, at least open up researchers minds to the possibility that all obesity is not the same. I think a major flaw of much of the weight loss research is trying to find the single best weight loss method, when I don't think there is one. It's like trying to find a single cure for headaches, whether they're caused by tension, migraine, allergies, sinus infection, cancer or a blow to the head. Understanding that there are mutliple causes, may lead scientist to (finally) explore multiple treatment options and ways to determine, possibly with a screening tool, what options would work best for an individual based on their medical and weight gain history.

I think the day is far of when you'll be able to use a diagnostic tool (ideally before you gain weight) to determine which level of physical activity, and what type of diet is right for you to maintain or manage your weight.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/264/120

Height: 5ft.3

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2171311.ece
Weight gain can last three months until the body has built up resistance to the bug.

So there is just enough excuse for three months of weight accumulation.
fractal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:40 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

This is so odd to me. It seems so unbelievable that this could happen (i'm not saying it isn't true, i'm just saying it seems like something out of a bad dream). These studies really are in their infancy, and I can't wait until scientists and the general public have more knowledge about this kind of stuff.
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #6  

One thing to consider also, is that while the tendency to put on fat from the virus might stop after three months, once one becomes fat, other factors may contribute to staying fat, or even becoming fatter. I've seen many women gain weight from prednisone, and once they were off the prednisone, they found it very difficult to get back to their pre-prednisone weight. Now, did the prednisone have a permanent effect on metabolism, or did getting fat make it harder physically or mentally to exercise, to feel good about oneself or to avoid using food as comfort. I think many of us realize that being fat itself, often can make many things more difficult, something as simple as being willing to exercise, or even just to be active. Many women start to isolate themselves when they gain weight, not wanting to go the places they usually do, or do the things they used to do, out of self-consciousness. Even if you think you're going to stay home and exercise, staying home even with an hour of exercise a day, may not burn the calories that an active lifestyle did. So, if you're isolating yourself, because you've gained weight, it may be difficult for you to burn the calories that you naturally did at a lower weight.

There are psychological messages we're taught to give ourself when we gain weight, that often only serve to make the weight gain worse, not better. It may not matter how you get onto the weight gain rollercoaster, once you get on, at least if you follow the traditional self-destructive loop of crash dieting, and trying other unrealistic methods, then being upset and frustrated when unrealistic expectations are not met, seeing yourself as having failed (because you've set yourself up to fail), eating out of frustration, gaining, and then starting the whole doomed-to-fail process all over again.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

This makes my brain hurt.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/239/140

Height: 5'4"

I just keep thinking of little viruses dressed up in Taco Bell and Pizza Hut uniforms, multiplying my fat via my increased food intake...but hey, who knows.
Betony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

My virus is dressed up like a DQ Blizzard and is calling my name ... "Kira...KIIIIIIIIraaaaa..."

As for the WHYS of weight loss, I personally think these forms of investigation really serve to take the onus of personal responsibility off of a person with a weight issue. You know, "It's not MY fault. I have a VIRUS (or my mother was a bad parent or I have issues or my feet are flat and I can't exercise, or I am helpless in the face of food, or the big corporations sell bad food that I eat, or, well, you get the idea)". So why do anything about it if "science" will vaccinate us or solve our problem FOR us? It is so much easier to accept this situation if believe you are a victim of biology, psychology, and our consumer society.

We all have biological and psychological challenges in life. We can do one of two things as a result: we can believe that we are helpless and our weight just IS because we need to FULLY understand WHY we are fat in order to address it becasue we are victims of circumstance, OR we can make a CONSCIOUS DECISION to fight the good fight and just DO IT while acknowledging that our specific issues may make things more challenging, but NOTHING is unsurmountable. It may take more time if I have a thyroid issue, but I am not DOOMED to being overweight. It may be more challenging to turn that donut aside if this is my usual way of dealing with stress, but I CAN DO IT.

I get so TIRED of the current trend to "understand" and "scientifically prove" that there are external factors to BLAME for our weight issues, because it leads to the trend of not accepting responsibility and consequences for our actions. We are NOT powerless in the struggle against obesity, and those who place the "blame" external to themselves really win the right to hold onto that limitation of learned helplessness, and unfortuantely, will most likely win the right to hold onto those excess pounds. After all, it isn't their fault...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #10  

I think people who look for excuses find them - that is people find the excuses, the excuses don't find the people. Knowledge is power, and understanding the factors that may have contributed to my weight gain only made me feel more powerful, not less so.

In looking at my adopted family, my weigh history is much different than anyone in my family. I'm the only person who was overweight (and very overweight, at that) as a child. I believe that it is likely that I may have inherited a tendency towards obesity - that doesn't at all mean that I don't take personal responsibility for my weight, regardless.

In fact, when I first realized that there might be a genetic component, it did not make or encourage me accept being fat. Instead, I thought "huh, that's interesting - maybe that's part of the reason I've found it so difficult to lose weight. Maybe I'm not lazy, crazy, or stupid." If anything, it inspired me to work harder because I suspected that I had to in order to "compensate" for all and any factors that put me at a disadvantage.

Being insulin resistant, borderline low thyroid, and having autoimmune disease that requires periodic treatment with prednisone also lower my threshold for obesity. I suppose I could use them as excuses not to lose weight - but that's not what I did. Instead knowing those issues could make weight loss more challenging, has resulted in me being much more willing to work that much harder, because the extra vigilance is necessary in order to lose weight.
Knowing I may be at a disadvantage in comparison to others, only means I have to work harder to compensate for the disadvantage. Knowing why (or even just a possible why) I have to work so hard, gives me more motivation and willingness to put in the extra effort.

If I wanted an excuse, I could find one, and it wouldn't have to be one with any legitimacy. Excluding genetics, insulin resistance, thyroid, prednisone, or a fat virus, I'm sure I could come up with something equally plausible, if I wanted to make excuses (and since it's only myself I have to convince, it doesn't even have to be very plausible).

Often people criticize weight loss research as providing excuses. I think it's hogwash, because I don't believe that people decide to make an excuse based on factual information. Some people may misuse the information to make excuses, but I'm pretty sure those people would have found or created one, regardless.

I think weight loss research is very valuable. I think it will help eventually in the treatment and prevention of obesity. I think the risk of "providing more excuses," really is minimal in comparison to the potential benefits. Especially since I find it difficult to believe that people who are not **** bent on making excuses are persuaded to use the information as an excuse.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-10-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #11  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!

The best treatment for obesity, IMHO, is to make sure one's intake is LESS than one's output calorically. I think it really IS that simple. There are no drugs or potions or magical undiscovered biological systems to be discovered. And while family history and current medical status are interesting, it doesn't change the fact that if one takes in more calories than one expends, one will gain weight. And if it continues, one will become obese.

In reading the maintainer's logs, not ONE has done anything other than an absolute committment to radically change eating and exercise patterns to get to goal and maintain it. Regardless of history or medical conditions. No pills. No drugs. No products of science. Just plain old determination. So while interesting, IMHO, research money on this issue could be better spent elsewheres, like in prevention, because NEITHER the "cure" for nor the prevention of obesity is pharmaceutically-dependent. So to pour money into finding a prevention/cure for a condition that one can prevent/cure oneself without taking pharmaceuticals seems to me to be misguided.

And the best prevention for obesity is for people to understand the link between what they put into their bodies and how much they move and what they see in the mirror. And how their actions and habits affect their children with respect to THEIR eating and movement habits. And education with respect to accepting personal responsibility for one's actions would go a long ways towards solving this problem instead of relying on science/psychology to solve the issue.

And here's a thought! Take all that research money that is looking at obesity and fund decent, well-balanced school breakfasts and lunches, so at LEAST the youth of today gets some vegetables and whole grains and quality protein down-range 5 days a week. Oh, and fund recess and gym class and sports programs, too. Instead of trying to find a vaccine or a pharmaceutical solution for a problem which doesn't need it...

Science won't solve the issue of obesity. There will be no magic pills, no special fountain of knowledge that will cure people. It takes a personal decision and determination to change those habits that, for whatever reason, are there in order to cure obesity and prevent its recurrance if one is obese. And a determination to make SURE that the youth of today get at least a fighting chance at good food habits and health...

JMHO...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-10-2009 at 09:51 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #12  

In 38 years of dieting, it's true that taking in fewer calories, always resulted in weight loss (even when I was forced onto my first diet in kindergarten, and when in 8th grade my doctor put me on amphetemine diet pills). What was also true was that, especially when dieting, but even when not, I was hungry 24/7. Not just a little hungry, but food-obsessed, can't think of anything else, can't even sleep because I'm thinking of food, and my stomach is growling, hungry. Dieting only made the compulsion and food obsessions worse.

I also found that from age 9 or 10, when puberty hit, that I had extremely severe food issues during the four to five days before and after my period's start. I wasn't just hungry, I felt like a starved, caged animal. FOOD! Only food would make me feel even slightly normal - then I spent the rest of the month, trying to lose the weight I gained that week. My PMDD was so bad that my husband (we've been married 6 years) called me "werewolf," and TOM "meat week," because of the personality and hunger changes "that week."

I lost weight repeatedly, but it was so difficult to do or concentrate on anything while losing weight, it was hard to have any kind of life - so I went on and off the diet rollercoaster so many times, just to insert some life in between the weight loss.

It took me almost 37 years to find that changing my bc to one that eliminated periods (and therefore eliminated PMS - or more accurately PMDD) and changing my diet to reduce carbs, was I able to lose weight without feeling tortured and starved. Finally, I learned what it felt like to only feel hungry after having gone quite a long time without having eaten. In fact, if I eat too low a carb diet, I can "forget" to eat (which until about 18 months ago, I would have told you was impossible).

There are a lot more factors than just reducing calorie intake, and increasing calorie output. While weight loss inevitably does boil down to those, there are a lot of factors that go into how easily a person can accomplish those tasks. It is not a level playing field, and knowing why it isn't can be a huge help.

Because for almost four decades I believed that it was "simply" a matter of calorie reduction - that's all I ever tried - simple calorie reduction. I didn't look for ways to make the work easier, I just thought there was something wrong with me (mentally or even spiritually) for not being able to maintain the intense, super-human effort it required to lose weight. I had to learn to work smarter, not harder - but because I didn't know that, I never did.

I long suspected the hormonal component, but I trusted my doctors when they discouraged me from "messing with" my menstrual cycle. I wouldn't have tried the bc change, if I hadn't encountered a female doctor who encouraged me to try both the bc change and low carb dieting (a second opinion from my primary care doctor who first recommended it, but I was skeptical because I've always believed low carb diets to be unhealthy).

There are a lot of factors that contribute to obesity. Not just those you mentioned and the ones I have, but countless others. The problem isn't simple, it's multi-faceted, and the solution has to be as well.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-10-2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #13  
Love on a Diet

S/C/G: HW:155 SW:147/141/107

What is the source for the original article? This doesn't sound legitimate. Everyone knows The Sun is a rubbish source, right? It's a British tabloid. Their information is always faulty at best, if not completely fabricated. I mean, just look at the homepage.
MiniMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 PM   #14  
Empress/Queen

Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
... As for the WHYS of weight loss, I personally think these forms of investigation really serve to take the onus of personal responsibility off of a person with a weight issue. You know, "It's not MY fault. I have a VIRUS (or my mother was a bad parent or I have issues or my feet are flat and I can't exercise, or I am helpless in the face of food, or the big corporations sell bad food that I eat, or, well, you get the idea)". So why do anything about it if "science" will vaccinate us or solve our problem FOR us? It is so much easier to accept this situation if believe you are a victim of biology, psychology, and our consumer society.

We all have biological and psychological challenges in life. We can do one of two things as a result: we can believe that we are helpless and our weight just IS because we need to FULLY understand WHY we are fat in order to address it becasue we are victims of circumstance, OR we can make a CONSCIOUS DECISION to fight the good fight and just DO IT while acknowledging that our specific issues may make things more challenging, but NOTHING is unsurmountable. It may take more time if I have a thyroid issue, but I am not DOOMED to being overweight. It may be more challenging to turn that donut aside if this is my usual way of dealing with stress, but I CAN DO IT.

I get so TIRED of the current trend to "understand" and "scientifically prove" that there are external factors to BLAME for our weight issues, because it leads to the trend of not accepting responsibility and consequences for our actions. We are NOT powerless in the struggle against obesity, and those who place the "blame" external to themselves really win the right to hold onto that limitation of learned helplessness, and unfortuantely, will most likely win the right to hold onto those excess pounds. After all, it isn't their fault...

Kira
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I think bad habits can be "contageous".

If others don`t excercise and eat a bad diet you don`t feel too bad about living like that yourself (and, of course, children learn from their parents).

Nobody likes to be the only fattie in a group but if others are overweight, too, we may not bother too much about being on the large side ourselves. In a country with a large porportion of large people the clothes industry provides more choice, which makes it easier, too, being overweight.

So I do think that there is an element of that.
Stella
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote