Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

You're right on the intent, Amba Dawn...each case is different and should be handled differently based on circumstances.

In this case, according to the blog update, the mother was offered help and assistance and refused it multiple times. She was told his life was at risk had chance after chance for help, and she ran.

To me, THAT makes it abuse...when she's been approached and told his life is at risk and failed to care.
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:12 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

I think an earilier poster mentioned that this wasn't about the weight per se, but about the refusal of the mother to deal appropriately with it. I think we should all keep this in mind. There are lots of over and underweight kids in America who are in the home. There are very, very few that are removed as a direct result of their weight.
It seems to me that alot of posters on this thread have this kind of thought process: "This child is obese and was removed from the home. I was obese and wouldn't have wanted to be removed. I have children with weight issues and it doesn't make me a bad parent. I don't believe in foster care. I don't like the government involved in this issue because of what I experience/d."
If we all keep in mind that this child is 550 pounds with a parent unwilling to get help for this child, the State has taken this responsibility for the good of the child. There is more to this case than "this child is fat. The government is evil for stepping in." We need to all keep this in mind before passing judgement. The life of this 550lb 15 year old is at stake.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindiV View Post
You're right on the intent, Amba Dawn...each case is different and should be handled differently based on circumstances.

In this case, according to the blog update, the mother was offered help and assistance and refused it multiple times. She was told his life was at risk had chance after chance for help, and she ran.

To me, THAT makes it abuse...when she's been approached and told his life is at risk and failed to care.
I wish we had more details about it. I read the blog misskimothy posted, and people who commented on that brought up good points. We don't know what the "treatment" offered was...it could have involved surgery that she felt was dangerous...or involved something that went against their religious beliefs. There's just too much we don't know. I don't really blame her for running...I would run too if the government tried to take my children away. I think in a weird way that it actually shows that she DOES love her child...if she didn't love him or care that he was being taken away, she wouldn't have ran.

I dunno. Its hard to take a solid position one way or the other without more information.
Amba Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:08 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

I don't think surgery was an option because before any type of surgery they need to assess the compliance of the patient, and in this case there is no compliance whatsoever. And if it is a religious thing, the state often makes the health of the child take precedence over the beliefs of the parent. Blood transfusions are a hot button topic, as is chemo for leukemia patients. In the case of Jehovah's Witness believers, if the minor child is denied life-saving treatment because of the beliefs of the parent, the State intervenes to assume control over the health of this minor child and acts accordingly. According to this report:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...55_pounds.html
the mother was arrested on the scene because she showed signs of wanting to hurt herself after being found by authorities. Sounds like she's not wrapped too tight.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote