Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
Also the whole American motto: Who else goes to McDonald's orders a big mac with a large fry and.... a Diet Coke??-this phenomenon that we actually eat more having diet than regular.. Maybe we think that because there's no calories in the drink, it's "okay" to eat a large fry?..

I totally get that. But on the other hand, I just don't even like regular Coke.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 190/181.5/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiprincess View Post
Also the whole American motto: Who else goes to McDonald's orders a big mac with a large fry and.... a Diet Coke??-this phenomenon that we actually eat more having diet than regular.. Maybe we think that because there's no calories in the drink, it's "okay" to eat a large fry?..
I've been one of those people to order a #2 (my fav!) with a diet coke for a long time, but my thinking has never been that since I was drinking a diet soda, I could eat more. I just see it as, why not shave off a few hundred calories where I can? Now having typed that, it seems quite silly to be concerned over the calories in the drink when I'm loading up on 2 cheeseburgers and fries.
Biddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biddy View Post
I've been one of those people to order a #2 (my fav!) with a diet coke for a long time, but my thinking has never been that since I was drinking a diet soda, I could eat more. I just see it as, why not shave off a few hundred calories where I can? Now having typed that, it seems quite silly to be concerned over the calories in the drink when I'm loading up on 2 cheeseburgers and fries.
I don't think it's any sillier than ordering water or unflavored ice tea, whether it's to save calories (even only a few), or just because that's the beverage you want.

I also order "diet soda" even with high calorie meals - just because I don't like regular sodas. I've been drinking diet for so long, that regular sodas taste horrible. So why is it any different than ordering water or unsweetened ice tea with a big mac and fries - if that's the beverage you want, that's the beverage you should order.

All of my life I've not been much of a fast food fan. I gained most of my weight on too-large helpings of mostly healthy foods. Though every once in a while (almost always at "that time of month" - I tended to be crazy hungry "that week" to the point (for mood swings and other reasons as well) hubby called it meat week and me a werewolf - which is one of the reasons switched to a birth control that allows me to choose to have only 3 or 4 periods a year), I do want a fast food burger and fries.

I'm sure people seeing me order a big mac, fries, and diet coke are thinking "no wonder she's fat, and who does she think she's foolin' with that diet coke," but the fact is that no one got fat on one fast food meal every 3 months (or once or twice a month, for that matter).

I am drinking fewer diet sodas than I used to, and using less artificial sweetener; but my weight has always had a lot more to do with calories consumed than diet soda.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:04 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

I love Diet Dr. Pepper, and I have found over the years that it is actually a trigger for me. I can be going along great eating healthily, and as soon as I think I can have a Diet Dr. Pepper with those foods, within a week, I've blown it completely. It's hard to believe that a diet drink can be my trigger to eat sweets and junk food, but it is. And I cannot express to you HOW MUCH I LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper, but it's something I have to avoid 100 percent. I definitely believe the studies that have linked diet drinks to weight gain. I think it messes with the way your brain receives or processes information about food and I do believe it's linked to metabolism.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #20  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I drink it on Friday night when I eat my pizza and it ain't goin' nowhere!

I use artificial sweetner in my coffee each morning. I can't quite switch to Stevia all together yet but am working on it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #21  

I've reduced my diet cola consumption to one a day since January, and have seen no changes, either in weight or appetite or sleep(lessness). For me, the problem apparently is not the stuff I drink, but the stuff I stuff.

Last edited by Gladdy; 04-11-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Gladdy is offline   Reply With Quote