No more meat for me! Any tips!

• Recently I've been trying to find new ways to lose weight. I dont like meat but I dont get enough protein when I dont eat it. Is there anything I can eat that has as much protein in a serving as meat? I'll eat fish but thats about it. Thanks!
  • Hi, I don't care for meat as well but I have been taking (whey protein) you can get this anywhere but I buy it GNC. And its delicious to good to be true chocolate 1% milk or sub with water ice and blend to make shake.
    I use it as meal replacement morning or afternoon. My doctor said it was ok and to continue the good work. I have lost 20 pounds since 8/25/06 my weigh in was today!!!!!!

Good luck,

Ivy
  • I never liked most meat either. Then about 3yrs ago I decided to go vegetarian, which was no big loss since I didnt like most of it. But anyway I eat lots of soybean products to get protein. They have hot dogs, chick pattys, burgers, ground burger, chick struips, steak strips and its all meatless. Try them you might like them, and they all have protein.
    Kelly
  • Beans (esp. kidney-type), tofu and other soy products, nuts, and dairy products (like yogurt and cheese) can all be sources of protein. Also quinoa (a type of grain) and whole grain pasta and bread.

Here is an article with more info (apparently it's best if you combine portein sources--e.g., beans with rice, whole grain bread with peanut butter): http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyou...%20vegetarians. It also has links to a couple of website with more info.

Oh, and egg whites are another great source of protein and low in calories.

And if you eat fish, canned tuna and salmon can be quick for lunch and also a good source of protein.

- Barbara
  • hey
    try soya milk too.
    also if you have an indian (asian indian) store close to where you stay - they have something called as a soyatein. Its small chunks of soya that u can cook with any vegetable. Just soak the chunks in warm water for a bit. Let it soften then squeeze the excess water and use with any stir fry veggie dish that you want to make. . If you like Indian curries - I could help you with a couple more recipes.
  • thanks for the tips.
  • I think there's a board for vegetarians on here, too. Well, maybe not, there's tons of boards though and I just seemed to remember it.

I ate 'meatless but with fish' for about three or four years. It's called pescatarian, as an aside. For me it was really effective, because it broke my fast food habit effectively, and had me eating more variety. The first couple of years were great, and I lost 100 pounds. Then I realized that ice cream was meatless. And Snickers bars. And donuts. And... well, you get the point.

I ate fish 3-5 times a week, regular fish and shell fish. Bean dishes were big too. And tofu, though I never mastered the art of cooking tofu myself. I ate a lot of frozen food too, always took something frozen into work so that was 5 times a week, and sometimes another time or two. Amy's Organic was my absolute favorite, and I still eat it to this day. It's pricey though, at least here, much more than regular frozen meals. Then there's Morningstar products, I never got into the crumbles, but I love the soy sausage (still eat that to this day too!), and the 'junk food' like chix nuggets and corn dogs and stuff. Then there was eggs, especially in the morning, and dairy products. Not a big milk drinker, but I'd have it on cereal, or yogurt.

One of the other things I did was explore Asian and Indian cooking. A quick shrimp stir fry was always an 'in a hurry' favorite at night. Lots of Indian foods are meatless too. I'd go to the international section of one of the larger supermarkets here, and look for packages that made cooking these meals a lot easier. You'd usually just add shrimp, veggies, beans, something simple like that, and come out with shrimp curry or whatever. Or looking in the little oriental stores near here, that was entertaining too.
  • hey think you could hook me up with some soyatein recipes i recently bought some from an indian supply foods store to replace my meats but have no idea what to cook it with lol
  • Vegetarians are healthier that carnivores, because meat mostly contain fat tissue, cholesterol and a small amount of protein.
    I havent eaten meat in 4 years and I feel fit and energetic. But the body needs protein, so meat substitutes are necessary.
    There are so many delicious things that contain the protein you need; like beans, tofu, tempeh, soy products, broccoli, veggie burgers,...Theres just so many to choose from! Go out and buy yourself a nice vegetarian cooking guide, or surf the web for sites about vegetarian lifestyle.
  • There is a board for vegetarians or those who are interested, it is called veggie chicks. It was extremely helpful when I was looking to cut meat out of my diet. I still eat meat but I try to eat less than I used to. I am also contemplating going mostly vegan most days except I'm in love with whey protein so I can't do it completely

I think concentrating on eating a variety of type of foods is a good thing and if you do cut out meat entirely, make sure you are eating a balanced diet. Read up on vegetarian nutrition and it should help you a lot.

Jacky,
    Welcome to 3FC I just wanted to say that I wouldn't entirely agree with vegetarians being healthier because they don't eat meat and I'd call meat eaters omnivores, not carnivores One of my best friends in college was a lifelong vegetarian but his health was pretty bad, high cholesterol and such. Doc told him to take fish oil pills but he wouldn't due to his vegetarianism.
  • Not getting enough protein? Are you sure?
    How do you know that you are not getting enough protein? There is a huge % of the American population that gets too much protein. Studies have shown that too much protein will slow down brain activity in children.

I was a vegetarian for over 10 years (a couple of them vegan) - I now eat fish, chicken & turkey - no red meat for 18 years. I just went to a dietitian and protein was not my problem - low iron is - and big time. When you have blood tests run, they say your count should be between 10-290 (huge variance) to be acceptable. My count came in at 19 - a doctor would say that is acceptable (most doctors only have 1 quarter (1/2 of a semester) of nutrition studies) but a dietitian (who has the better part of 2 years of nutrition studies) would not let this go - she said that for my age (42) I should have an iron number 80-120. Low iron causes a lot of fatigue, loss of zest for life and feeling emotionally drained - among other symptoms.

Food for Thought

Lauri
  • Hi Leyhg,

There is a vegetarian forum here if you are looking for some tips, suggestions, and recipes.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=121
  • Thanks guys!