Zucchini

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • What does zucchini squash taste like raw?? Can I use it like a cucumber in salads??

Thanks!
  • It taste good! Almost like a cucumber, but a slightly softer texture. I always put it in my salad when I have it on hand.
  • I think zucchini tastes good raw, although I think it has less flavor than a cucumber. I still like them though.
  • I like it as well. I saw a recipe somewhere for "Zucchini Salsa" not too long ago where you diced up zucchini and added chopped tomatoes and corn and maybe some lemon juice, garlic and onions.

I was chopping up some zucchini the other day and nibbled on some of it while it was raw.
  • nelie-that's exactly what i wanted to use it for.

Thanks guys!!
  • I don't think it has any flavor at all raw. I always cook mine. I love zucchini, I just had some today for lunch. Someone gave me a bunch from their garden.
  • I generally find it pretty bland raw. It's certainly not bad, but not one of my favorite salad veggies. If I'm putting a squash in my salad, I like yellow summer squash better. It's a little crunchier and has a nicer flavor, I think.
  • I love almost all veggies, but I can barely stomach zucchini and summer squash cooked. Raw is out of the question. I like my zucchini best in meat dishes where it is well disguised! That or zucchini bread

- Barbara
  • I'm not a fan of the raw at all, but apparently other people are.
  • I actually tried the Zucchini salsa tonight and it was really good. I will have to do it more often.
  • Nelie,
    Can you post the recipe for the salsa? Nice way to sneak in some more veggies. THX.
  • Funny, I love it raw It's a bit denser than cucumbers and has a sweeter taste. I could eat it on anything really.
  • Quote: Nelie,
    Can you post the recipe for the salsa? Nice way to sneak in some more veggies. THX.
    It wasn't really a recipe as much as throwing things together

I diced 1 medium sized zucchini, chopped 2 medium tomatoes, added about 1/2 cup of frozen corn, diced half a vidalia onion, added 2 garlic cloves minced, added a dash or 2 of salt, a dash or 2 of pepper, and a dash of lemon juice. I mixed it all together and served as a side dish. You could also use it to top something like fish (even bake it with the fish if you want) or as a condiment.
  • Oh, I'll have to try that when I'm swimming in zucchini at the end of the summer. I put it raw in my salads all the time - I don't like cucumber, so the zucchini provides some crunch. If I'm going to cook it, I use it in stir-fry or just sautee it with onions and tomatoes, sometimes mushrooms if I have them. Italian seasoning is good with this, or just lots of garlic.
  • One of my favorite ways to make cooked Zucchini is to chop it, dice half an onion and use a can of hominy. Add a little water to a sautee pan and cook until the Zucchini is done. You may need to add more water if it dries out while you are cooking. The hominy gives it a nice buttery flavor.