I think I'm in the right place???

• I think I'm finally in the right place now????

This is my intro if you haven't read it already:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83955

I am as the forum says, "Veggie Challenged". I need to incorporate more veggies into my diet without me knowing I'm eating them? lmao! I like some veggies, corn, green beans, red peppers, tomatoes (although yes I know they are technically a "fruit") lol, mushrooms (are these considered a veggie?), potatoes (I know a no - no), sweet potatoes, and Zucchini. Thats about it......lol. But If there is any ideas, forums, links, recipes, etc anybody would like to share with me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

*Flady*
  • Hi Flady!
    you are in a GREAT place!!!!

There is a fantastic post here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59112

which discusses ways to sneak in veggies---over 50 responses from some very clever chickies!
  • Thanks for the welcome! I will check out the link!
  • Why are potatoes a no-no?

Yeah, I know, they're higher in calories than most veggies and high on the GI list, but they're a perfectly healthy food. As long as you don't deep-fry them or slather them with butter and sour cream.

I think potatoes got a really bad rap from the low-carbers and the poor things are having serious trouble shaking that reputation.
  • Thanks Linda. I think your right. Potatoes do get a bad rap.
  • Quote: Thanks Linda. I think your right. Potatoes do get a bad rap.
    A seriously bad rap.

I realize people with diabetes, especially, have to watch their high GI carbs as well as sugar (my mother was a diabetic) but potatoes can be part of a healthy diet, just like any other vegetable. You just don't wanna eat them for every meal every single day. I mean, potatoes - as with any food - should be eaten in moderation and balanced into your diet.

Moderation is the key. And you are the moderator.
  • Very good point Linda. As in everything, moderation is the key.
  • Yeah, I mean I'm not gonna plow myself with potatoes all day long, just like I wouldn't eat chocolate all day long.

No food is forbidden, as far as I'm concerned. You just have to eat them in moderation. Do I still eat fried chicken? Heck yes. Just as a rare treat these days instead of a regular thing.
  • I agree. Although for some reason right now I'm having a hard time with moderation...............
  • Hi FLady, I love your honesty and know that you will be on your way to a healthier you. I too was a veggie challenged chickie but have been trying all sorts of new vegetables lately as I am following the Sonoma Lifestyle. I have also been helping my grandmother get over her fears of vegetables.

One trick that I have been doing to get spinach into my diet is to add a thin layer of it in sandwiches or on an open faced burger. You almost don't taste it, and really I have grown to like it anyways.

Another one that is really good is to grill asparagus, add a little olive oil and a touch of soy sauce - you have never tasted anything like it (you can cook it in a fry pan the same way).

I came across this recipe in a magazine the other day, haven't tried it yet but looked great in the picture.

1lb green bean, 1/8 cup slivered almonds, 2 tsp orange (or lemon) infused olive oil. Cook beans*, toast almonds, toss both in oil and season with kosher salt and pepper to taste.
    * To cook either put in microwavable dish with a couple of tblsp of water and then cover, cook on high for 2-3 mins, stir if more cooking need cook for 1-2 mins again until cooked. You can also steam them if you have a steamer.

Another way to hide veggies (carrots, celery, spinach, peppers, onions) is to chop them finely and mix with ground chicken / beef and make burgers. To help it all stick I added some egg beaters, about 50ml to 1 lb of meat, and that made a big difference.

I hope that these tips and ideas are of some help.

Wish you the best of luck in you journey.
  • imlovinit - Hi Ya! Thanks! I do include spinach into my salads, sandwiches, etc. I try to "sneak in" veggies where I can. Tonight we had pasta (small portion) with shrimp and red and yellow peppers (love peppers!) and hub even stated he would like to eat better and be healthier!

So I think the best way is just like we've been doing, just dive in head first so to speak! We even had a nice Spring Green Salad last week with our meal. We both really enjoyed it.

I am going to start adding more veggies to all I can! They are no longer the "enemy" lol.

Thanks for all the support and kind words!

*Flady*