My Own Working Woman's Diet

• I've read 3FC postings for a while and maybe I missed this, but here's what I do: On Sunday afternoons - while popping in and out of the football game(s), I make a huge salad - everything I can think of - lettuce, celery, tomatoes, radishes, squash, nuts, green beans well blanched, green and yellow peppers, parsley, etc. etc. I make enough for the next six days, plus Sunday dinner. I bag them in airtight bags - no dressing. Don't use cukes since they get mushy - I just put them in before serving. I bake three organic chickens, one seasoned with rosemary and lemon, one seasoned with cilantro and cumin, the other with sage and parsley. And I boil a dozen eggs. It takes about an hour. If I'm really into it, I make a fruit salad, too.

What this gives me is this: Always a salad for lunch - chicken or egg to toss over the salad for a protien. I have a little bottle that I fill every night with lemon/olive oil salad dressing. That with a couple of pieces of fruit get me through the day. Dinner can be nuked - add a little rice or a baked sweet potato, or baked irish the salad and you're there. In the evening I add on a couple of no sugar added fudgecicles.

You can also boil up the carcas and make chicken veg soup the next Saturday.

Sometimes when I have the munchies - I grab a bag of salad and chomp away while reading or watching TV -

I've tried this approach for six months now and my weight has gone from 215 to 180. It's slow, but I feel satisfied, it only really takes an hour a week, there is way less temptation to go out for lunch or order in dinner or hit the vending machines - for me it works.

Sometimes I make chicken chili or lentils with chili and carrots and onions, etc., but my basics are there and I can do as much or little as I want.

Anyway it seems to be working and I have two bookcase shelves filled with diet books that didn't work for long. Also I feel better and am walking a bit more. It all seems to tie together.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share.
  • Great idea
    Hi,
    Thank you so much for the great tip. I am going to try it immediately.
    Sheridan
  • Planning ahead always helps. Sounds like you are losing weight at a very healthy pace.
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Great tips...I bet your house smells wonderful with those chickens roasting!
  • This a great idea and I have also been doing something similar for the past year or so. I make a LARGE salad about twice a week (lettuce, cabbage, grated carrot and celery), then I just have to dish it up around meal time, or pile some into a container for lunch at work. I also have cauliflower, broccoli, celery, red pepper and carrot cut up separately (and all kept in water, except pepper, to keep fresh) to nibble or add to the salad. I just KNOW that I wouldn't want to make a salad up every day, so I would grab something easier, and probably not healthy. This system has worked VERY well for me and is very easy to continue. I just have to add whatever protein, carb or dressing I feel like at the time.

Hint: I use cos lettuce, as it lasts longer than some I've tried. I wash it then, dry it between two clean teatowels. This seems to keep it fresher even longer.

Happy salad making all!

Zelma
  • Quote: ....I also have cauliflower, broccoli, celery, red pepper and carrot cut up separately (and all kept in water, except pepper, to keep fresh) to nibble or add to the salad.....

Hint: I use cos lettuce, as it lasts longer than some I've tried. I wash it then, dry it between two clean teatowels. This seems to keep it fresher even longer.
    Zelma
    Zelma, first let me say, WAY to go on your weight loss - you look FANTASTIC.

About the veggies in water.. do you actually chop them up bite size and submerge them in water? I always thought that would make them rot? Also, after you wash and dry the lettuce, how do you store it? I have so much trouble keeping fresh veggies (and fruit for that matter) in my fridge for long, I feel like I have to buy only what I need for the week and eat it up or it will go bad, which it does. Thanks!