Old 10-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #31  

First, any thing with any fiber in it can cause those embarassing moments. Second, here is my fav way to cook asparagus, I like it even better left over the next day when all the seasoning has infused in the asparagus.

You have to like ginger to like this though.

Use some chicken broth, how much ever you need to just slightly cover your amount of asparagus for your family.

Fresh ginger, grate in some fresh ginger, how much is up to your taste, but remember that it can be hot with too much.

Trim your fresh asparagus and place in this mixture

Slow boil down until very little broth left, but not until the asparagus is burned or browned.

I learned this recipe from making a stir fry one time and the left over veggies were the bomb. If you like this make it with stir fry veggies and cooked chicken over brown rice, oh so good.
Lovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #32  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Ok, so, if you don't eat asparagus, then your pee smells like..... ???? something really good?????
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 AM   #33  
WW Moderator

Let's not go there!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 299/171/160

Height: 5'6"

Thing with asparagus is that it's easy to overcook. You gotta keep a close eye. When it turns bright green--could be two or three minutes--you are done.

I love it steamed or sauteed to a crisp green, then chilled in the fridge, then served with a mustard vinaigrette (the French sort). Low cal luxury.

My hubby only ate iceberg lettuce and celery when I met him in terms of non-starchy veggies. I gradually introduced him to carrots, romaine lettuce, then mesclun mix, broccoli (only stalks), green beans, and asparagus (only stalks).

That's it. He's still kinda veggie challenged, but in our 25 years together, I've managed to get him, bit by bit, to expand his veggie and fruit vocabulary.

I know that I used to detest okra. Then I found it Bangladeshi style (cooked in a hot Indian skillet with tomato, onion, cumin and some other spices) and now it's one of my most favorite veggies. (I also enjoyed it southern style with tomatoes, but NOT fried, ick).

It may just be finding the right cooking style.

Mir
Mirtika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #35  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

ok you want to know what is REALLY funny? I'm one of those who one bite of asparagus makes my pee smell funny. I ate a bunch of asparagus a few weeks ago and my (exclusively breast fed) baby's pee smelled too! Confused me for a few minutes when I changed him

I only like really skinny asparagus very lightly cooked like in a stirfry. I dont buy asparagus that is thicker than a pencil.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #36  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Zomg I love asparagus. And it'll be coming up in 2 months! Maybe less!

Every spring, AFTER gorging on it 2 meals a day for 2 weeks, I vow to find recipes for it. And every time I do try a very-special-asparagus-recipe, I'm reminded that the best way to have it is steamed, then a little bit of salt added, and a bit of butter if you like. Yes, 2-3 minutes TOPS for cooking asparagus. I like my vegs on the crisp side.

I think thicker-stalked asparagus is more interesting than thin stalks. IIRC, stalks are thick early in the season, and get thinner as you pick it. Also don't do the "snap" method to trim the ends. You lose a LOT of really good stem that way. Just trim off an inch or two from the bottom, maybe three if it looks really woody.

By the way, it's really easy to grow and you don't need much room depending on the size patch you want. I think my patch is about 2 feet by 6 feet and that's enough asparagus to feed 3 families. So even if you have a 2x2 patch you could grow it. You just need a well-drained (or slightly sandy) soil, and it doesn't require a lot of care or fertilizing. Comes up in the spring, harvest it until you are sick of it, which is for about 2-3 weeks. Trust me .
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #37  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

I LOVE asparagus - poached, steamed, grilled or roasted. I'll have to try LoveMyLife's method of sauting with chicken broth.

It grows well in the sandy soil here in South Jersey so I can get it very fresh. One way to keep it fresh when you get it home is to cut the bottoms of the staulks off and place it standing upright in a pan of water until you prepare it.

Don't buy asparagus if the tips are bent and look like they have withered. They should be arrow straight and firm. You should be able to snap a staulk in half cleanly. If it just bends and dents it's no longer fresh enough.

I like both thick and thin green asparagus and only eat white asparagus in restuarants that are trying to be fancy with their food.

Asparagus has great fiber and water content. It's a member of the Lily family.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:12 AM   #38  
American ex-pat

S/C/G: 182/180/140

Height: 5'2"

Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies, roasted or steamed. Yummy! I was reading a book about folk healing and mountain medicine and asparagus is meant to be a cure for urinary infections. Which makes so much sense when you think that sulfer based medication is often prescribed for UTIs by the doctor and when you eat asparagus, your urine smells like sulfer.

It's good for you on so many levels! I eat it at least once a week. One of my favorite breakfasts is a variation of what the Brits call soldiers and egg (toast cut into strips and then dipped into a soft boiled egg). I use roasted asparagus and dip that into the soft boiled egg. instead. It is amazing!
Mummy_Tummy is offline   Reply With Quote