The great Squash.

• I bought a spaghetti squash a few days ago; I have never had it before. but I found this WONDERFUL recipe.

It is simple; microwave or oven toast the 1/2 cut squash .
    Until almost tender.

Pull the strands out and put on a plate.

Top with your favorite pasta sauce.

I really didnt think it would taste good; but I was in shock that I didnt even miss the pasta noodles!!!
    No more processed noddles for me!!!

• Way to go! I've been too timid to try it.
  • I had it for the first time a few weeks ago. Not bad, but how long can you keep and uncooked but cut up spaghetti squash in the fridge?
  • Quote: I had it for the first time a few weeks ago. Not bad, but how long can you keep and uncooked but cut up spaghetti squash in the fridge?
    They are hardy veggie; they last about 2 weeks.
    They are ALWAYS at the stores; so I only buy it when I need it.
  • You know, my aunt sometimes serves this with spaghetti sauce (in addition to reg pasta for us "kids" and my grandfather) and I always thought it looked good...but I've got a lingering hate of squash after a terrifying incident with a stuffed zuchinni at a friend's house (hated it, but had to eat it...I was raised to eat whatever was put in front of you if you are a guest...and at least pretend to love it.).

I know this is a kind of silly question, but what does it taste like? Is it similiar to other squash, or to something else?

Thanks!
  • I love all types of squash
  • Try it with a little butter (well the fake stuff lol) and Parmesan cheese.Yummy
  • Quote: Try it with a little butter (well the fake stuff lol) and Parmesan cheese.Yummy
    Yep, that's how I like it too. I've got one in my fridge right now, in fact. Just a little bit of butter spray, salt and sometimes a little parmesan cheese and I'm happy. I don't usually put any type of sauce on it.
  • I absolutely spaghetti squash!

The only bad thing about spaghetti squash, imo, is trying to CUT it in half!
    I've found a much easier way to do this-----poke a few holes in a whole sp. squash and put in the microwave for about 3 minutes. Allow it to cool, then cut it in half. MUCH easier. I then scoop out the seeds and put it face down in a dish with about an inch of water. Then I put it back in the microwave for about 6-9 minutes.

I've used it as a spaghetti substitute and also in stir fry. I also enjoy it with just butter spray, garlic and parsley.

I've also made "mock" coconut pie with it that's pretty good.

It does have a different taste than spaghetti but I do like the taste! Plus, it has 42 calories per cup compared to regular spaghetti which has 197 calories per cup!
  • Quote: I've used it as a spaghetti substitute and also in stir fry.
    Oooo, I'll have to try it in a stir-fry sometime, I've never done that before. I'm kind of 'boring' when it comes to my spaghetti squash. I simply bake it (or nuke it like you do) and sprinkle on butter spray and salt and I'm done.

I haven't gotten real adventurous with it.

Now, with Acorn and Butternut, those I'll always bake in the oven. I cut them in half, spray the 'meat' of the squash with butter spray and sprinkle on some brown sugar.
  • Has anybody ever made a spaghetti squash in the crockpot? I read a recipe for that a while back - poke it with holes, and crockpot on low for 8-9 hours. I imagine some water should be added...everytime I've made it, it's been too crunchy for me to enjoy, but I've read plenty of other people say how tender it is.
  • Quote: Has anybody ever made a spaghetti squash in the crockpot?
    I haven't, but I found these basic instructions on how to do it.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups water
    * 1 spaghetti squash, a size which will fit in slow cooker

PREPARATION:
    With a skewer or large fork, puncture several holes in the squash. Pour water in the slow cooker/Crock Pot, add the whole squash. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours. Split and remove seeds, then transfer the "spaghetti" strands to a bowl.

The longer you cook it, the more tender it becomes. I've found that it comes out more tender when baked in the oven rather than microwaved.