Old 01-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #16  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I see much of myself and my past in these posts! I went lacto-ovo veggie at 14 (I’m now just shy of 26) and my grandma still “forgets” that I’m in this “ridiculous no meat phase” and tries to feed me some type of pork product every time I visit (gross!).

dona, I commend you for being receptive to your daughter’s decision and at the same time being concerned about her health! I got no such support and was on the solid carb and cheese vegetarian diet through most of my young adulthood as a result.

I never used to be all that into veggies, but now they make up the bulk of what I throw in my shopping cart. I would suggest lots of experimentation, both in type and preparation, with all kinds of veggies. I think your daughter will find some healthy things she likes. Lately I’m on a homemade soup kick, minestrone, miso, barley mushroom. I just buy the veggie stock in cartons or use canned tomato base, throw in your beans/veggies/etc. simmer and voila! Soup!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 03:45 PM   #17  

What is the fake meat I keep reading about. I'm new to the website I found it when looking for ideas on losing more weight as of today I have lost a total of 134 pounds. Was just curious. Thanks
Mellowchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #18  

Tell her cheese has rennet, which is made from calf stomachs, LOL!! (It IS true).

Seriously, though. Obviously she is not doing it right. She MUST add fruits and vegetables. Try the meat substitutes, they really are good! Try different veggies until she finds one she likes.
Loreebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #19  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowchick
What is the fake meat I keep reading about. I'm new to the website I found it when looking for ideas on losing more weight as of today I have lost a total of 134 pounds. Was just curious. Thanks
There are a variety of fake meats available--from GardenBurgers and BocaBurgers to Tofurky to Quorn (which, counter-intuitively, is not made from corn but a fungus). While fake-meats are comparatively healthier than their "real" variants, they are not always healthy across the board (e.g. fake chicken nuggets that are breaded, fake meatloaves bathing in a rich gravy, etc.) - but a lot of them tastes practically like meat (one that totally threw me off was morningstar farm's buffalo "chicken")

Likewise, there are lots of fake dairy product which tastes pretty good... Amy's Kitchen Mac 'n Soy Cheeze stands out in particular for me (I wrote a review on it at 3FC)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #20  
Heather/Caterpillar

I want to live in the US so much!!! It sounds like you have so much nicer soy based stuff, everything here has milk or milk protein imaginatively hidden somewhere in it!!! Even crisps (chips)!!!
Heva2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #21  

Hey!
Im A Fellow Vegetarian
I'm 16 and i've been a vegetarian for 2 1/2 years. The 1st year I was, i weighed in at about 160 Pounds. I ONLY at Cheese and Things of that sort (like your daughter). I gained 12 Pounds in 3 months! I started exersising and i TRYED to eat veggys and fruit. I found LOTS of fruit and some veggys that i liked. Being a vegetarian consists of a few things. You must be willing to try new things, if your not then your looking at gaining 40 pounds because cheese IS fattning. There are Meat Alternatives such as brands like "Boco" and " MorningStar Farms" they sell a varity of "Burgers" " Pepperoni and meat pizzas" and "Sausages". I've lost a total of 30 Pounds being a Vegetarian. Plus I Only Exersise when I WANT to. Yay. No More Dead Animals.

Meghan
sweetvanillagirl911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 01:43 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 257/241/140

Default vegetarian at home

hello,
Being a resent convert into the world of vegetarianisum let me tell you about this wonderful web site I found its fatfreevegan.com it has a lot of recipes, kid friendly recipes sloppy joes and the like all low in fat and 100% vegetarian. also the vegetarian resorse group has a wonderful web site and book. Good luck to you and your daughter. I can't tell what it will mean to her in the future to know you suported her with this.

G
gggbdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:15 AM   #23  

You must be so proud of her! I made the same decision when I was sixteen, and here I am, at the age of 45, still a vegetarian. In my case I didn't know any other vegetarians, but I was eviscerating a chicken for the family dinner and decided right then I would *never* eat chicken again. By the next morning, after thinking about it all night, I was a vegetarian and have not eaten meat or even meat broth for almost thirty years.

I just really want to congratulate you and your daughter.
lulu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #24  

Well at the age of 10 I gave up red meat and pork. I recently this year gaveup all meat and became a vegetarian. The thing I would reccommend most is getting her to read read read! I have a pretty good grasp on everything but with every new book I read something new pops out. There is a book I checked out of the library written especially for teens going veggie. I think its called the teen's guide to being a vegetarian or something. She needs to read about this so she knows exactly why and how she is making this change. Knowledge is power!
I would just go to your library's website and search the catalogue for the book. Or head to amazon and type in vegetarian, and teenager. Maybe some things will pop up.

It might be easier for her to read about it than to have you telling her what she needs to do.

My faves are smartlife Smart Ground mixed with a can of black beans and a packet of vegetarian taco seasoning. Wrap it up in a whole wheat tortilla and its great.
I also make veggie chili with tomato sauce, tomatos, onions, peppers, and beans.
I also make little pita pizzas. Take a whole wheat pita and split it in half. Then put some organic pizza sauce, and maybe a little cheese or whatever toppings and broil for a few minutes.

I also like to stirfry with Cascadian Farms Japanese style stir fry veggies (frozen) and Quorn tenders (they look and taste just like chicken) with some Tamari. Thats a fave.

Also maybe she can do some research on the internet.
There are things she needs to watch out for ( or whoever does the shopping). Things like gelatin (made with horse hooves) are found in a lot of things, even most gums! Also rennet, she should look for rennet free cheese's. Cabot makes rennet free cheese. Casein although I cannot remember exactly what that is. She can find a list of things to avoid in a book. Also Worstershire sauce often contains anchovies.

Okay well sorry for the rambling hope this helps somewhat! Good luck to your daughter!

Quote:
Actually some of the non-beef options I think might be good for our whole family as my DH has high blood pressure and high cholestoral..
It sounds like DH may benefit from going vegetarian. Maybe he should talk with your daughter (-:
I am trying to convince my mom to drop meat, as she has high blood pressure and heart disease runs in her family. She so far refuses. But veggies, whole grains, legumes, and fruit do not contain cholesterol or saturated fats.
Tampaquillowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #25