I was veggie challenged...

• And then one day it just suddenly clicked.

I picked up a salad, decided that come what may I was going to eat it, and did. It didn't kill me, and it didn't taste that bad.

As long as I can remember, lettuce has been my big mental block. I pick it out of sandwiches, and generally avoid it. I've bought leafy salads before, but always chickened out of eating them.

But last week I just sat down and I did it. And it just opened the floodgates. I realised that if I can eat lettuce, I can eat anything. Since I ate the salad last week I've eaten four or five different (new) vegetables. I've not tried to disguise them, I've just got on with it and eaten them.

I don't know what happened, my mind just suddenly changed. So hang in there, one day it might happen to you!
  • salad challenged
    I have to say. I cannot eat too many salads. I like the components of salad... lettuce... tomato... cucumber.... no problem. But I just don't like salad.

I'm trying to find non-salad ways of getting veggies that I like in. So suggestions are welcome! I like salsa, for example. So I grill some steak or chicken with mex spices and eat it with tomato salsa and guacamole (yes, high in fat, but avocados are incredibly good for you). Maybe a whole wheat tortilla. Add some lettuce... a side of black beans. Yes, it is starting to sound like a fajita salad, but don't tell me that because I like it

I'm thinking of experimenting with India raita (cucmber yogurt dip). Could try to fake myself out with some indian chicken chickpea dish...
  • So, just put the components of the salad on a plate and eat them separately! No rule says they have to be mixed up in a bowl. Have you tried grilling some veggies along with your meats? I spray them with PAM and if they're small skewer them and just stick them on the grill. They don't take as long as the meat, so put them on later.
  • Question about the grilling veggies: I tried putting onions and pepper chunks on skewers. Maybe I didn't use enough oil but things didn't seem to cook very well. Is low heat and longer time the way to go?

One thing I love in the summer is gazpacho--you can buy the discounted tomatoes (that are already squishy). I add in low-sodium V8 or tomato juice and a can of drained black beans to make it a complete protein.
  • I tend to have piles of seperate salad veggies on a plate, I can eat combined salads but prefer not to, strange huh? I don't like iceberg lettuce, but I love the mixed leaves, lambs lettuce is my favourite, have you tried that on YP1?

I grill veggies on the george foreman. Hot and heavy is the way to go. I use olive oil in a spray bottle. Gives good coverage without using much. I don't really like the commercial sprays, so I bought a bottle that you put your oil in and pump the lid to make it spray, very good it is too.
  • Nice
  • Quote: I have to say. I cannot eat too many salads. I like the components of salad... lettuce... tomato... cucumber.... no problem. But I just don't like salad.
    This is me. Even though I'm vegan, I don't really like salad. I like to eat all of my veggies separate. I don't like them mixed in together. Veggie soup doesn't bother me, but it's the rare exception.
  • A few weeks ago putting lettuce and tomatoes just clicked with me. Everyone once in a while prior to this I would get it put on a sandwich, but I was forcing it. Then on a visit to the in-laws we made pork tenderloin sandwiches and I loaded on the lettuce and tomato. It was delicious. Ever since that time, I can't put enough on there! To me it's the best part of the sandwich! This has really opened up my intake of veggies. I like salads, but get tired of just eating a bunch of lettuce and other stuff. Adding it my sandwiches is just so exciting to me!

I feel like a total dork!!! haha! I love how I'm able to put less of other things on my sandwich, but I still end up feeling so much fuller!