Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

This thread is right up my ally. I read Dr Joel Fuhrmans books a few months ago and he really got me eating more veggies. I've always liked vegetables, but mostly I like cooked, not raw. Lately I have been looking at different things in the produce department and trying things I never tried before. I buy a small amount, then I come home and google for ways to prepare them. I can't buy a lot, because DH won't eat them, but I am finding so many that I like that I never ate before. I also buy a lot of frozen vegetables because they keep better. They say they are as good as or better than fresh.

Either I feel better now that I'm eating so many veggies, or it's psychological.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #17  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
For me it's the ones that are harder to prepare. I've got a butternut squash on the counter that I *must* cook soon but I ignore it because preparing them is a pain in the rear. But I'll try to remember to do it tonight, because I don't want it to go bad.
This is SO me! I love butternut squash. I call it edible sunshine, a major treat for low carb WOE, esp. roasted with coconut oil and garlic, maybe some cayenne pepper. But yes, it's a royal pain to prepare. I don't like to buy it already cut up. I had one on kitchen counter for 2-3 months and it was fine--that's the up side to the hard rind, lol.

I had one that so big I had to ask the produce mgr at the store to cut it in thirds, which he was happy to do. Another thing that works is to cut it up and store the cubes in the refrig, in an airtight container. I've also cooked and frozen it. I've never had one go bad on me.

I discovered Delicata squash which is smaller and has a thin skin. Almost the same flavor. I just bake them whole and scoop out after. The skin is edible, I'm told.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #18  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Default This is so me . . .

I have this same problem. Part of it is the effort involved, as others have pointed out. But the root cause is that I'm a picky eater and extremely ambivalent about vegetables, even the ones I have deemed edible to one degree or another. (Peppers will never be on that list, nor will several others, but I digress.)

Because of the waste and disgust of too many times of having to throw stuff out, I have just given up on buying much until I feel more sure it'll get eaten. I buy more vegetables for my rabbits than for myself. Maybe I'll have to sit down and have a salad with them, LOL!
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:26 AM   #19  
Big Guy

S/C/G: 290

Height: 6'0

I like zucchini and squash, but I procrastinate to eat them. I don't know why. I'll buy a bag of them, store them in the fridge for sometime, look at them and plan to consume them later, only for them to go bad.
johnsonGA is offline   Reply With Quote