I tried some veggies today! Proud of myself!

• I learned a lot about myself!

I like lettuce and cabbage but I don't like that purple stuff blech!

I like arugula and spinach!

I do not like cucumber or that purple onion! But I do like white onion!

I like carrot and I like cauliflower!

I do not like mushrooms and I do not like ranch dressing (Don't worry I didn't use very much so most was pure veg) YUCKY YUCKY!

Funny thing is one of my favorite colors is purple lol

I am SO proud of myself!!! I am a 17 year old girl who grew up on junk food-through no fault of my parents-so this is HUGE for me! HOORAY FOR ME!!!
  • Good for you for trying new things. Just curious, if you tried raw mushrooms or sauteed ones. I hate raw mushrooms, but I love sauteed, various other cooked mushrooms.
  • Quote: Good for you for trying new things. Just curious, if you tried raw mushrooms or sauteed ones. I hate raw mushrooms, but I love sauteed, various other cooked mushrooms.
    Thank you! I'm not sure they were in a spring roll at a Chinese restaurant so probably cooked. It may have not been the mushrooms. I just assumed. I was gagging on it. lol I could always try again and find out ADVENTURE! I am the kind of person who doesn't like certain foods combined. I don't like tacos for that reason.
  • Good for you!

• If you like cauliflower and cabbage, you might like brussell sprouts. Usually you can find them fresh, just get 2 or 3. I steam them and spritz on a little spray butter. They look like a baby cabbage.
  • That is great that you are trying new veggies! Your body will thank you.
    Good for you!

I also grew up eating junk even though my parents wanted me to eat healthily and cooked nutritious meals, I am a finicky eater. I am working on healthier habits now and I think it's paying off.
  • I love brussel sprouts cut in half and roasted in the oven with olive oil, garlic, sea salt, and lots and lots of black pepper.

I also have a soup recipe that kicks butt!

Chop up celery, onion, carrot, cauliflower, and broccoli. Heat a little olive oil, throw in the veggies with some garlic. Cook til soft. Add 8 cups of water, a squeeze of yellow mustard, a bit of sea salt, and black pepper. Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Run it in batches through the blender. Add cheese and diced ham/chicken if you wish. It looks gross, but is awesome! Great reheated.

Chris
  • Definitely second the brussel sprouts suggestion! So good with a bit of butter, pepper and a bit of dry italian dressing/seasoning. Some crumbed bacon would be good too, heh. Good for you for trying!

Chris- that soup sounds really good! I will have to try it out sometime this week since it's getting rainy/cold again and I have everything on hand to make it, yay! Thanks for sharing!
  • Quote: I also have a soup recipe that kicks butt!

Chop up celery, onion, carrot, cauliflower, and broccoli. Heat a little olive oil, throw in the veggies with some garlic. Cook til soft. Add 8 cups of water, a squeeze of yellow mustard, a bit of sea salt, and black pepper. Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Run it in batches through the blender. Add cheese and diced ham/chicken if you wish. It looks gross, but is awesome! Great reheated.

Chris
    I would love to try this, but I think it would make too much for me, so I would like to cut back the quantity. How many cups of veggies do you use with 8 cups of water.
  • Quote: I would love to try this, but I think it would make too much for me, so I would like to cut back the quantity. How many cups of veggies do you use with 8 cups of water.
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • *sniff* *sniff*

Honey, I'm so proud of you! And there is so much hope for you, because you picked some doozies! They definitely have some veggie flavors that some people just can't take.

Enjoy them! I just like olive oil and lemon on my salads, but you might try a sunflower oil and a little seasoned rice vinegar as a dressing too. I don't often do a creamy dressing, except on a wedge of iceberg lettuce. For that, I require some good blue cheese or Roquefort dressing. The leafy lettuces are better with an oil-based dressing. But I also just like a chopped salad with only fresh salsa on it, like a salad from Chipotle.

Have fun experimenting! Play with grilled vegetables. Asparagus, zucchini, rapini. Roasted cauliflower is tasty with a tahini dressing.

I love playing with my veggies!
  • Congratulations on learning what you like and don't like! I have always been a big veggie lover. I love purple cabbage and purple onion, LOL But I'm w/ you on the mushrooms. YUCK!!!

Eww, I don't know who it was that brought it up, but brussel sprouts are VILE!!! I like cabbage (or I did until I threw it up one day) but I did NOT like brussel sprouts. YUCK!!!