Cabbage with bacon

• For those of you who like cabbage... I like this for when I don't want to make dinner/lunch... It's also a great side, though if serving more than 2 people I would double the recipe. (or just add more bacon )

1 slice bacon
    1/4 head cabbage- rougly chopped
    salt & pepper

Cut bacon into one inch pieces and cook in a pan over medium/high until you've rendered enough fat to coat the pan (about a minute). Add the chopped cabbage into the pan, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook until soft and browned (around 7-15 minutes), stirring frequently, add more salt and pepper to taste.

I like to put some Frank's hot sauce on top.. I like my cabbage with some brown bits so I cook it a little longer.
  • Oh yeah! I second that!

I highly encourage those veggie challenged to augment vegetables with things like bacon, cheese, etc. Who says we gotta eat them fat-free and steamed all the time? Some just taste good with a bit of creative flavoring.

Except okra...nothing will save okra!
  • One of my fav's.
  • This sounds so good. I do this with brussel sprouts.
  • yummy! thanks for that. I just had 2 cups of cabbage and bacon for lunch beside my sandwich and it was so tasty and less then a hundred calories!
  • Wow, this is a great way of doing it; on my side i have been doing it a bit more different.
    This way.........
    Take a large frying pan and begin by frying the onion and bacon together in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Then add the crushed garlic and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.

Now stir in the shredded cabbage (which will seem rather bulky at first, but as the heat gets to it, it will start to collapse) and keep stirring it now and then so it cooks evenly. Season with freshly milled pepper, but taste before adding salt because of the bacon. The cabbage should cook in about 10 minutes and still retain its crispness, but if you prefer it softer put a lid on the frying pan – which will give it some steam

Its a great one but i love yours too, Ill be trying it tonight.
  • hmm I may have to try this I have never cooked cabbage but this sounds yummy
  • I love cabbage soup made with chopped cabbage, a ham bone (with a little meat left on it), celery, and spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder). Its also good with some butter, but you can leave it out if you're watching your weight.

I usually just throw everything in the crockpot for at least 6 hours.
  • well being a farm raised Polish gal and having the "dupa" to show for it, I love Cabbage,~~~ steamed, fried, boiled and baked !!
  • this is very tasty
    Especially if you can add some eggs))
  • i never heard of cabbage with bacon
  • boiled eggs
  • hello
    hi I'm new to the forum and new to vegetarian