3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Veggie Challenged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/)
-   -   What veggie do you STILL hate? (part 2) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/230229-what-veggie-do-you-still-hate-part-2-a.html)

bronzeager 09-18-2011 02:23 PM

Lentils. Do they count as a vegetable?

They taste like dirt.

When you tell lentil fans this (I haunt a lot of foodie sites, and they LUUURVE them some lentils) they will bombard you with with their FABULOUS ONE OF A KIND recipe for lentils, which they swear will totally convert you. Except that all of them turn out to be either

a) lentil soup, which I can put up with occasionally if there is enough tomato/hot sauce in it, or
b) lentils with curry, which makes me nauseous. And you can still taste the dirt.

Guaranteed, every single one of these unique and special recipes will turn out to be one of these two recipes, with only tiny variations (this one has two garlic cloves instead of one!).

STOP TRYING TO MAKE LENTILS HAPPEN, PEOPLE.

Sakai 09-18-2011 11:14 PM

Celery!! that evil demon veggie!
Whoever first believed that floss held together by watery cells filled with a hint of plant flavor would be good to eat needed to be slapped up side the head. Even as a little kid, I was told I licked the peanut butter out of the celery stick. even today...ever so often I'll take a bite of a raw celery stick just to give it another go. i always chew 2 or 3 times, then remember just how much I hate these things and spit it out.

Cut them small and cook them to death is the only way I will eat them. Give it to me raw and I'll beat you with it.

I have issues with eggplant but i admit that I'm not all to sure of the right way to cook eggplant. So i'm giving it a few more tries.

RedPanda 09-26-2011 06:18 AM

Okra - slimy!

Pumpkin or any form of squash - urgh! Even zucchini is a bit suspect.

Potatoes - waste of space!

Sweet potatoes - even worse!

Peas are a bit dodgy - sugar snap peas and snow peas are much nicer.

Savoy cabbage - bleagh! Red cabbage is yummy and Chinese cabbage is OK if it's prepared nicely.

Brussel sprouts - ick!

Iceberg lettuce - another complete waste of space. Why would anyone want to eat it, when there are far more nutralicious types of lettuce available?

All other veggies are yummy, especially dancing carrots!

:carrot:

ETA: I forgot turnips and swedes - disgusting!

shr1nk1ngme 10-12-2011 10:26 PM

I have never met a vegetable I didn't like. I like pizza and cheesecake a lot better, but I love pretty much all vegetables. My favorites? Asparagus, broccoli, spinach. Least faves? Cooked carrots (love 'em raw, though).

grim 12-26-2011 12:58 PM

Just celery. Gross.

mcflubber 12-28-2011 06:09 PM

Eggplant. I've tried it boiled, broiled, fried, baked, in soups, stews, and casseroles...it's just nasty! And I can only eat collard greens if they're cooked with ham or bacon, which cuts those out.

Oh, and okra. I've never tried it, but my grandmother put one in the microwave when I was a kid, and it exploded out at me when I opened the door. Scared the ever-lovin' crap out of me (I thought it was a bug), and I've never been able to convince myself to try it.

Everything else is fair game, though.

mizzie 12-30-2011 12:55 PM

Let's see... is there a limit to post length? :p

Veggies I hate no matter what:
peas
onions
tomatoes
green beans (I'll gag at even just the smell of it!)
squash (any kind, unless it's pumpkin pie. LOL)
avocado (although if it's a tiny bit in sushi I can eat it)
Brussels sprouts
zucchini
yams
artichoke
eggplant
peppers
Hmm... I know there are more I can't remember now. If it's not on one of the other lists, assume it should be on this one.

Veggies I'll tolerate ONLY if raw:
broccoli
cauliflower
celery
carrots
lettuce (and by raw on this one, I mean in something cold. I can't stand it when they put lettuce on a hot sandwich. It just gets all slimy. YUCK!)

Veggies I like no matter what:
potatoes
corn

... yeah. Weight loss is hard for me.

graatsia 01-06-2012 04:05 PM

What is it about the texture of vegetables that you don't like? I'm very curious, because the big variety in the texture of vegetables is what I enjoy so much. It's interesting to see how differently different people think.

Can you tell me? :)

graatsia 01-06-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcflubber (Post 4148230)
Eggplant. I've tried it boiled, broiled, fried, baked, in soups, stews, and casseroles...it's just nasty! And I can only eat collard greens if they're cooked with ham or bacon, which cuts those out.

Oh, and okra. I've never tried it, but my grandmother put one in the microwave when I was a kid, and it exploded out at me when I opened the door. Scared the ever-lovin' crap out of me (I thought it was a bug), and I've never been able to convince myself to try it.

Everything else is fair game, though.

Oooh, I had exactly the same problem but I kept on trying until I found a solution and now eggplant is one of my favorite vegetables if not the number one yummy!

The trick that works for me is to barbeque or otherwise cook it very thourougly in a very hot oven with some fat.

A recipe for making eggplant delicious (if it doesn't work then you can officially say that you hate eggplant):
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut ends off eggplant and cut it in half lenghtwise. With the tip of a knife, score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern. Put the halves on a pan, pour some soy sauce over them and smear about 1 tsp of pesto across each half. Roast in oven for about 40min or until soft and tender (try poking it with a fork to make sure).

If this doesn't work, nothing will :P

stan255 01-08-2012 01:57 PM

Brocoli

MonicaM 01-08-2012 02:03 PM

I cannot tolerate okra, because it always tastes slimy to me. I like cucumbers and green bell peppers, but they do not like me! I avoid both, and substitute red, yellow or orange bell peppers for the green. One sliver of either will give me severe stomach/gas/burping problems.

I cannot think of any other vegetable I do not like.

rachaelm 01-25-2012 04:54 PM

Raw tomatoes, but if mixed in pico de gallo I love em.
Okra, other than fried, and that makes it not really a veggie.

chickadee32 04-17-2012 02:58 AM

I think all of mine are texture things rather than taste things. Water chestnuts and raw celery. *shudder* And most beans. I've come to kind of like or at least tolerate fresh green beans, black beans and chickpeas, but otherwise I can't really do beans. And the smell of canned green beans still makes me sick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hungry4Health (Post 3993328)
Two Words:

Baby
Corn

Yeah, it freaks me out too. :lol:

xiaobaicai 04-19-2012 07:19 AM

I can only think of a few vegetables I don't like, and even then it depends on how they're cooked.
-Eggplant: Sometimes cooked into a dish it's nice, particularly if it's served up spicy. But other times it's got this utterly noxious, fart-like taste that takes so much water to get washed out of my mouth.
-Mushrooms: Depends highly on how they're prepared. Raw mushrooms are way too intense. Sometimes cooked mushrooms are okay, but other times they take on a really rank flavor. Nutritionally, I don't feel like I'm missing out on much, anyway.
-Raw broccoli: I LOVE cooked broccoli, but eating the stuff raw is too tough to chew. Plus it always results in little green bits in my teeth.
-Uncooked tofu: I saw one of my co-workers eating dried tofu rolls straight, so I thought I'd take a little nibble off the end of one to see how it went. The first word to come into my mind was ballsweat. Enough said.
-Brussels sprouts without the centers carefully removed, and without a whole ton of roasting: The amount of roasting required to make these tasty feels like it destroys the phytonutrients that make veggies so valueable.
-Cucumber, sometimes: I don't know why, but I sometimes find the taste of straight cucumber to be really nasty. I always throw it into a salad, and it's fantastic with the dressing. During college, I had a Chinese room mate who would stir-fry chicken and cucumber (a vegetable that doesn't seem amenable at all to being cooked), and it would make the whole kitchen stink of something unidentiable and highly unpleasant.

I think that's it. I do really like vegetables of almost all sorts, although I've been shying away from some of these melon-like Chinese vegetables.

kakeJ 04-19-2012 08:39 AM

Okra, I tried and tried. I can eat almost all other veggies, but OKRA. Just not gonna work.

Laifierr 04-19-2012 10:16 AM

I think I liked beets as a small kid but now I find them repulsive.

Luceia 05-04-2012 03:38 PM

Zucchini, eggplant, okra, baby corn (it doesn't even taste like corn!), and radishes. Oh, and turnips and parsnips. Ick!!

All other veggies are divine in my book (or rather, on my tongue). Yams, peas, avocados, onions, mushrooms, artichokes, beets, carrots, water chestnuts, beans of all sorts, and broccoli are my faves, though. I can (and frequently do) eat these daily and never tire of them.

samcakes 05-05-2012 02:16 AM

baby corn
water chestnuts
bamboo shoots (dont know if thats a veggie)
brussell sprouts
raw carrots
celery
beets
pickles
olives

pretty much anything with a less than desirable texture

ive never even tried baby corn. i cant even look at it without being grossed out

i also hate pickles and olives to the point that if it even touches my food, i can tell, and i cant eat the meal. it wont even be on the plate, but my spidey senses can tell when pickles and olives have been on my plate

Iyakamae 05-05-2012 01:54 PM

I'm not fond of bitter tasting vegetables, or what my perceptions of bitter tasting vegetables are, so here is my list;

Brussel sprouts
Peppers; red, yellow, green
Celery

I'll give all most anything a try, but those three can't pass these lips.

RandomPaige 05-14-2012 02:12 PM

can only eat raw:
Lettuces, baby spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, cauliflower, broccoli, sugar-snap peas, snow peas,

can only eat cooked: asparagus, tomatoes, yams, potatoes, all other peas, green beans, corn, brussel sprouts (only if sauted with garlic), g/y/r peppers, onions, artichokes, baby corn, bean sprouts

I'm not eating it regardless: Eggplant, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, okra, collared greens, beets, cabbage, turnips, parsnips, bamboo shoots, all other legumes.

I keep coming back to squash, I keep trying it, my friend makes a mean spaghetti squash, but thats the only way I can stomach it.

Some stuff like raw tomatoes and mushrooms are more texture than anything

HappyHoliday 05-14-2012 07:13 PM

Eggplant, Brussels sprouts, zucchini

I haven't had okra ever

Marchmallow 05-29-2012 06:50 PM

The king of all vomit-inducers... AVOCADO (or Satan's Feces, as I call it)

Elsewhere is Fine 05-31-2012 04:05 PM

Tomatoes :o
Zucchinis

aniela26 05-31-2012 04:24 PM

This thread is so funny! Thankfully I'm not a horribly picky eater and will eat pretty much anything you put in front of me (almost!). That being said, I'm also a pea hater...peas and cooked carrots! I'll eat them, but I won't be happy about it!

thehappyimp 05-31-2012 04:55 PM

Green peppers and Lima beans

MiMi81 05-31-2012 05:04 PM

Glad to know there are so many pea haters our there! Peas are the biggie for me. others on the list include:
--Beets
--cooked carrots (most cooked vegetables)
--okra

DominiquedelMer 06-10-2012 10:06 PM

I like peas, I like bell peppers (the green ones are good on pizza, and I'll eat the red ones raw), I like broccoli and eggplant, and I'm happy to eat tomatoes raw.

But lima beans and brussels sprouts? They are not actually food and I won't eat them.

lucindaarrowspark 06-11-2012 11:06 AM

Hate a vegetable? for shame! every vegetable is improved by roasting rather than steaming. or juicing. I am a vegan so i can no longer be picky. Howver if I had to hate a vegetable it would be ... nope still can't do it.

Astrild 06-13-2012 06:10 PM

I love a lot of the veggies mentioned here... And I adore peas! I didn't know they were so hated. Typically I'm at peace with anything that comes out of the ground, but I'm a veggie myself. In terms of things that taste like dirt, I've become a pretty regular drinker of Kava root, which really tastes like nothing other than dirt. Still, I'm at peace with it and actually enjoy it. lol

The only veggies I tend to avoid are water chestnuts and celery... I'll eat water chestnuts if they're in a dish, but would rather not.

tommy 06-14-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astrild (Post 4370272)
The only veggies I tend to avoid are water chestnuts and celery... I'll eat water chestnuts if they're in a dish, but would rather not.

But have you ever had fresh waterchesnuts? - a world of difference from the canned.

SaraWrites03 06-16-2012 05:05 PM

Radish. *shudder*

Suzll 06-19-2012 04:24 PM

Lima beans and beets! Bleah!

I used to hate avocados, but I'm okay with them now!

queenie91 06-19-2012 05:06 PM

Peas and mushrooms. I HATE mushrooms.

Aunrio 06-19-2012 05:47 PM

I can't stand mustard greens, they are bitter to me.

EmilyLarnder 06-19-2012 06:53 PM

Beets!! And cauliflower.

biggirl86 06-19-2012 08:54 PM

celery, asparagus and pickles=yuck!

alaskanlaughter 07-30-2012 12:52 AM

im actually fairly picky LOL

i dont like water chestnuts, avacados, cucumbers, green beans and eggplant...i'm sure i can think of more that i dont like either LOL

happytobeonthisdiet 07-30-2012 11:28 AM

definately brussel sprouts!!! Yuck!

COchick 07-30-2012 12:30 PM

I can't just eat a stick of celery. All that stringiness grosses me out.

I also don't do raw tomatoes. In a dish, they're fine, but sliced on a sandwich...barf.

Ladybug10 07-30-2012 05:37 PM

I highly dislike raw tomatoes! The texture and taste grosses me out to no end. I also don't like cooked mushrooms. I love the raw ones in salads but I can't stand he texture of the cooked ones. Other than that, I love vegetables. Hated them growing up though but I took baby steps when it came to eating them. It took me a loooong time to come around to celery, but now I am able to eat them without anything on them for a light snack or an addition to a meal.