Recipe #2: Basic Stir-Fry, or, "Everything Tastes Better With White Pepper"

• I got home yesterday and was appalled at the lack of vegetable dishes my parents were preparing... and found NO salad ingredients... so I made this today out of the two remaining veggies in our fridge just to survive dinner (haha) and I think I've won a convert in my nine-year-old little brother! Yay

Stir-fry Onion and Chives

Ingredients:
    - 1 large bundle green chives (about a pound)
    - 1 large sweet onion, I used a white onion but red should work
    - Canola (or other light) oil
    - Water (haha)
    - Salt
    - Ground white pepper! (Ours was from a Chinese grocery) -- or black pepper is theoretically acceptable too...
    - Optional: small handful diced fresh parsley, small handful diced green onion (leaf), garlic powder, chicken bullion (powder)

Directions: (About 15 minutes)
    - Wash/clean both chives and onion, slice/dice into 1 -inch to 1 1/2 inch lengths.
    - Heat 2 tsps of canola oil in a wok turned to high
    - Toss in onion for about 30 seconds, then add chives -- add salt immediately
    - when they seem lightly browned (another 30 seconds) add about 1/3 to 1/2 cup water to cover the bottom of the pan, turn fire to low
    - Add bullion, any more salt, and ground white pepper, tasting constantly
    - Add finely chopped parsely or green onion at the end.

The zesty tang of chives played against the sweetness of cooked onion nicely, but let's be honest: this dish is nothing without the AMAZINGNESS of white pepper. So excited about this!
  • WOW, that sounds absolutely heavenly! I bet it's great with chicken breast and the clean flavor of goat cheese... I will ABSOLUTELY be trying this!
  • Sounds good, but I can just imagine myself crying cutting all these onions and chives !! :P