3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Veggie Challenged (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged-176/)
-   -   So what can I do with these carrots? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/veggie-challenged/136881-so-what-can-i-do-these-carrots.html)

CrazedLedZepFan 03-12-2008 05:58 PM

So what can I do with these carrots?

I have a bunch of carrots I need to use tomorrow and no veggies to go with dinner. Anyone have a really simple carrot recipe? The ones on recipezaar all have gobs of butter.
:carrot:

junebug41 03-12-2008 06:11 PM

I don't have a ton of carrot recipes as I love raw carrots (usually), but I'm having carrot issues right now, too. My fiance is a compulsive over-buyer. He always has to buy mustard and carrots and frozen vegetables and is ALWAYS convinced that we are completely out.

There are 3 lg bags of carrots in my crisper right now. Anyone have any ideas?

I like carrots steamed with chive and a little olive oil and I can grate them in salads and grate them to put into meatloaf (except I don't eat meat anymore)...

friendlykat4u 03-12-2008 06:42 PM

I like this recipe for glazed carrots. I use a 1-lb bag of baby carrots and it works perfectly.

1 pound carrots, approximately 7 medium, peeled and cut on the bias 1/4-inch thick
1 tablespoon unsalted butter (originally called for 2 tbsp, but one works just fine, maybe you can try cutting it to 1/2 tbsp)
Heavy pinch kosher salt
1 cup good-quality ginger ale (I use chicken broth instead)
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves

In a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat, combine the carrots, butter, salt and ginger ale. Cover and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, remove the lid, stir, and reduce the heat to low. Cover again and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, add the chili powder and increase the heat to high. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the ginger ale is reduced to a glaze, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.

These are from Alton Brown (I'm a huge fan). They are very tasty and easy to make. :)

tommy 03-12-2008 06:59 PM

My sister in law always brings a healthy carrot salad to functions. Grate carrots (food processor works). Add yogurt of choice, Splenda or other sweetener (don;t want it too sweet, but just a little), a touch of salt, and some raisins or dried cherry or cranberry. Mix and let sit a few hours. Great for lunches. Keeps for several days. I actually like it with some finely chopped onion and a little lemon juice or vinegar for contrast. Add some diced chicken and you have a one container lunch.

srmb60 03-12-2008 07:39 PM

In a casserole dish
carrots cut in slices (or baby carrots are elegant looking)
chicken stock to cover
chopped chives
bake covered until the carrots are softish

Surprisingly yummy and no fat!

pipernoswiper 03-12-2008 07:51 PM

very easy and tasty too

i like to use a vegitable broth and cook my carrots in that till they soften up then add a little pepper and olive oil. not very fancy but it is simple and tastes really good. (you can also use chicken broth)

RealCdn 03-12-2008 09:06 PM

I use carrots for roasting usually. If they're large ones, cut into sticks. If baby carrots leave whole or cut in half. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Take a baking tin and cover with aluminum foil.

Oil: toss with a small amount of oil - adding liberal amounts of garlic, parsley, basil, and small amount of pepper and salt.

Oil Spray: spray foil, lay out carrots and spray lightly again. Use the same seasonings over top.

Cook 30 mins. (approx)

Sprinkle a little balsamic vinegar over and serve.

Note: when I make roasted veg I usually do a mixture, starting with carrots, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and a little onion. I usually dump the whole thing in the oven while it preheats. After it comes to temp. I'll add whole green beans over the top and continue to cook for 10-15 mins. The times vary depending on how much I'm making.

WebRover 03-12-2008 09:17 PM

If you have a pan designed for waterless cooking, you can slice the carrots and put them in the pan plain, covered, over low heat for about nine minutes. Delicious.

Also, you can roast carrots. Toss in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) put in a baking pan at 425 for 15 minutes, toss, and bake for 10 more minutes.

Both of these methods of cooking bring out the carrots natural sweetness.

CrazedLedZepFan 03-13-2008 02:01 PM

So i have a question, do you guys peel your carrots? My bf leaves the peel on. Says that's the healthiest part.

WebRover 03-13-2008 08:12 PM

Most of the nutrients are supposed to be in the skin, but the skin is bitter. I usually peel. :o

kaplods 03-13-2008 08:17 PM

Depends. If they're store bought, packaged mature carrots, I usually peel them.

I made soup yesterday, and in the stock, I threw in some washed, but unpeeled carrots. After I drain the stock, the veggies usually are completely spent, all mushy and not very appealing looking, but the carrots held up nicely and looked really good. I ate them, peel and all they were very good.

When I buy carrots from the farmer's market, especially if they're very young carrots (thick as an adult's finger, rather than a baby's fist), I just scrub them under water with a veggie brush.

zenor77 03-15-2008 06:05 PM

Personally, I can't be bothered to peel carrots. I just scrub them really well. Peeling vegetables (most of them anyway) usually does remove nutrients.

Another way to prepare them is to sautee in a time bit of olive oil and then glaze them with a little bit of orange juice. You could add some orange rind, but I like to add cumin to them. Yum!

tormentated 03-23-2008 06:32 AM

I'm a peeler. Unless it's in the roast, then I like the bitterness.

As for cooking carrots, I usually just throw them into boiling water on the stove with some salt. Simple way to enjoy the natural flavor of carrots. Yum.

jitterfish 04-13-2008 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy (Post 2097263)
My sister in law always brings a healthy carrot salad to functions. Grate carrots (food processor works). Add yogurt of choice, Splenda or other sweetener (don;t want it too sweet, but just a little), a touch of salt, and some raisins or dried cherry or cranberry. Mix and let sit a few hours. Great for lunches. Keeps for several days. I actually like it with some finely chopped onion and a little lemon juice or vinegar for contrast. Add some diced chicken and you have a one container lunch.

This sounds yum, going to try it tomorrow :)

PinkyPie 04-13-2008 07:35 AM

I have a carrot soup recipe that is really lovely, but I may be too late to give you the the suggestion?

If anyone wants it, please let me know - it's curry carrot soup and VERY friendly to most diet/new lifestyle programs :)