Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 AM   #1  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Strawberry Help?

Help?!
My CSA keeps putting those blasted strawberries in the bag. I hate strawberries. I usually give them to somebody else but I think even that person is getting sick of strawberries. Does anyone know anything I can do with them where some other ingredient will drown out the strawberry taste? Preferably a savory thing? I was thinking maybe a salsa????
I know I'm weird but sweet fruit things remind me of the way a stinky garbage can or dumpster smells. The smoothie idea might work only if I hold my nose and chug it down in one second. Not the best way to use lovingly grown organic strawberries! Thanks in advance!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I see you are in California, are you near San Jose?
if so you can give them to me. Strawberries do not have to be sickenly sweet, if they are it is because someone put a lot of sugar on them. They are delicious as they are. I do not add sugar and use them on cereal,or make smoothies or eat them just as they are right out of the basket,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

And they are low in calories ,too.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

You could try putting them in a salad. Try something like spinach, feta, almonds, strawberries, and a vinagerette. The stronger flavors will help cover the taste of the strawberries. And no sweetness!
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I would imagine you can make a strawberry salsa, just look on a recipe site. I'm have a problem with anyone not liking strawberries, but I'm sure you know yourself! I don't like watermelon, or really any melon except catalope.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #6  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

bargoo -- San Jose is a bit far for strawberry delivery but if you want to come and visit Morro Bay... they are yours!
Water Rat, I don't like watermelon either. When I was a child, according to my parents, I wouldn't eat anything red. I think it is because early early early I was fed something I didn't like and it was red and so I associated red with nasty, because I could not have identified what the food culprit really was. I now suspect it was either watermelon or strawberries!
Stacy - the salad idea sounds like a possibility! The other thing I've thought of was to find a bar and bring them in and say I'll trade them some strawberries for them to make strawberry margaritas and daquiris with, in exchange for a couple of drinks that contain no strawberries at all. That might work.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote