Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #31  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I like them very plain. Just boiled or baked and then mashed with a little salt. Anyone who wants butter just puts that on at the table. I think they're just fine that way. I don't need to "guild the lily."
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #32  
In the shell

You know.. I've never had a sweet potato. Not that I can remember anyway. I don't know anyone that eats them either.
Caly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #33  
99 lbs. Gone!

A friend roasted a beef brisket and threw in some mushrooms and quartered sweet potatoes. She sprinkled a packet of Lipton Onion & Mushroom soup mix over all of it, covered the pan with foil, and baked for 3 hours at 350F degrees. It was delicious!
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:17 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

If you like spicy foods, they are really good mashed with a bit of broth or ff milk and one or two chipotle peppers chopped (the kind in adobo sauce.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #35  

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
If you like spicy foods, they are really good mashed with a bit of broth or ff milk and one or two chipotle peppers chopped (the kind in adobo sauce.)
Mmmmmm.....sounds delish!!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #36  
Yes We Can ~Obama

I cook sweet potatoes or open a can, run my immersion blender thru them until they are whipped and creamy, use the juice from the can or some added water to fresh ones to help give you a creamy texture, then I like to top with some simmered raisins and cinnamon. A spinkling of nuts is good too. You can add sugar, artificial sweetener or agave nectar to add sweetness if you like. I don't even need to use butter when I make them this way.
InnerChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #37  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

I LOVE sweet potatoes! I just like mine baked with a little butter and cinnamon... mm sooo good. I've been wanting some lately.. maybe I'll bake up one here shortly.

You can also make sweet potato pie

Last edited by pixiefalls; 10-06-2008 at 05:56 AM.
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 244/ticker!/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
One was a black bean and sweet potato burrito. This would be really easy to duplicate because it was just cooked sweet potato cubes (microwaved, boiled, baked or steamed would all be fine) and cooked black beans (canned would be ok, I'm sure) that were seasoned with cumin and maybe some other spices (chili powder and cumin, or even packaged "taco" seasoning would be fine, I think), and a bit of sauteed onion. Then the seasoned beans and potatoes were wrapped in a flour tortilla and served with salsa.
I make a dish like this all the time: mash up half a cooked sweet potato (stab some holes, then eight minutes on high in the microwave) and mash it onto a low-carb tortilla. Then saute half an onion and some garlic, add about a cup of canned black beans in liquid and keep sauteing 'til the bean liquid mostly evaporates. Sometimes I mash the bean mixture with a piece or two of Laughing Cow Lite herb & garlic cheese so it gets to-die-for creamy. Toss that on top of the sweet potato and oh momma, what a ridiculously delicious meal.

Seriously, this is in my desert island top three meals. Although if you're going for simple, I echo a bunch of other people on sweet potato fries -- I toss them with the bare minimum of olive oil and 2:1 ratio of paprika to cinnamon. Almost dangerously good.
rubbytummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #39  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

As baked fries-they are awesome. Baked & mashed, ditto. My favorite is wrapping them in foil & eating them like a regular baked potato. I've also peeled and chunked them to put into crock pot chili, roasted them with olive oil & herbs.
I love sweet potatoes pretty much any way except that syrupy casserole with the marshmallows on top!
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:01 PM   #40  

Height: 5'9"

Yay for this thread
I was going to post a thread on sweet potatos myself, but you just saved me the hassel
I've never had sweet potatos, but, I'm going to buy some and try making "fries"
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #41  

I like to have them sliced up and sprinkled with a little bit of salt and pepper and then baked in the oven. They are so tasty.. I want one now.
littlelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #42  

Actually, they are really good baked whole as well. Then mashed up with some butter. They need to be baked until they are soft and squishy on the outside.
littlelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 154/153/130ish

Height: 5'4

I baked one today--just washed it wrapped it in aluminum foil and baked it in the oven for about an hour. When it was done I split it open and topped with about a tablespoon of marshmallow creme, so good.
vettelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #44  
=D

Vettelvr - yum!!! That sounds delish.
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:56 PM   #45  
Sexy Writer Chick

S/C/G: 235/235/125

Height: 5'3"

I used to be afraid of sweet potatos too. Then I went to a friends house and she made just plain baked with butter. They were AWESOME! I had no idea i was missing out on such flavour.
ladyfyre is offline   Reply With Quote