Old 07-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #16  
Failure is not an option

S/C/G: 344/321/140

Height: 5'3"

I usually boil them or steam them. Oh & Ziploc is coming out with new microwave steamer bags, that should make it even easier
TinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #17  
Empress/Queen

In some areas, the grocery stores sell ready-to-microwave sweet potatoes that are sealed in cooking plastic. They are all cleaned and are good-shaped, medium sized ones without woodiness; the ones I've had have all been the very dark orange fleshed kind, not my favorite but good with diet butter or buttery spray, cinnamon or Splenda. You just stick them in the micro for a few minutes and there you are, portable fast food.

Alexa makes good frozen sweet potato fries, 14 to a serving for a reasonable amount of calories. I believe there's only cold-pressed canola oil spritzed on them, but you'd have to check. (Regular canola oil isn't very healthy, IMO). There's a little seasoning type salt as well. Bake in oven, very delicious and easier for me than all that cleaning and cutting of the potatoes.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Oh I love sweet potatoes. I don't eat them every day, but as a treat on occasion. I like to bake them and they are great right out of the oven, sweet and moist, they don't need anything else IMO. If you have leftovers the next day, cut them into circles (crosswise), and fry them in a little cooking spray in a pan until browned. Also yum. I have been meaning to try the fries, but I haven't done that yet.

Sockmonkey, I make something similar to yours every Thanksgiving, the family always asks for it. Mashed sweet potatoes, butter, a little milk, brown sugar, topped with more brown sugar, butter and pecans and baked to crisp the top. If they want it this year, it surely won't be the same as usual - too much butter and sugar! But I'll have to experiment. I'm sure I could lighten it up and it would still be great.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #19  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

i think there's a song lyric in that concept.
"scared of sweet potato." i like it.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #20  
fat loss challenge

S/C/G: 220

Height: 5'7

here's a easy recipe for dummies. there is a microwave setting for potatoes. You can use that. Just cover your sweet potato with some olive oil and brown sugar. Cover with plastic wrap on a plate till done. Sweet and easy. You can also use a lil lite butter.
Mooseonthelooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:09 PM   #21  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I love Sweet potatoes!! I can eat them baked, in a pie, or my favorite is roasted. I cut them up in large ( not too large pieces and boil them for a few minutes until you can put a fork in the middle( you can also steam them), then I let cool and toss with olive oil to coat, salt and pepper and roast.. yummy
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #22  
ViolinCyndee

I think I will make them for my TKG potluck.. I have never actually made them before, but really should! I have a few great recipes, and I will def try one..
ViolinCyndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I love to bake'em just like a regular potato. Wash them well, rub lightly with olive oil on the outside, and bake in a 400 oven (I use the toaster oven) for about an hour or until you can poke it with a fork and it's tender.

Cut open and add a dot of butter and some salt and pepper.

Yummy.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:01 AM   #24  

Sweet potato fries!!!! Mmmmmmm...... <<<<<said like my buddy >>>>>

I meant to purchase sweet potatoes and forgot. I didn't think about it until my Mom and I were in the checkout line. She wanted some as well. I'll have to pick up some soon as I'd like to add them to my menu for next week.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 AM   #25  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've never been a big sweet potato fan. I really dislike "sweet" vegetables, especially when they're cooked in a way to make them even sweeter. Blegh (no candied carrots or sweet potatoes for me).

However. I love carrots cooked with a beef roast (though I never thought to try it with sweet potatoes - well, we don't really do "hunk o' meat" meals anymore, so I probably won't try that any time soon).

I often roast veggies, and I've done sweet potatoes cut in large chunks or fries toss with a bit of olive or canola oil (a very little bit, like a tsp per large potato) and then some seasonings (I have several seasoning blends I like, one of our favorites is ranch dressing powder - like the packets, but we buy in bulk).

I also had sweet potato two different ways, from the vegan deli in our local health food grocery. I haven't tried them at home yet, so I can't really give a recipe. But tomorrow or Monday I'll probably be shopping there so I'll see if the owner can give me a few pointers.

One was a black bean and sweet potato burrito. This would be really easy to duplicate because it was just cooked sweet potato cubes (microwaved, boiled, baked or steamed would all be fine) and cooked black beans (canned would be ok, I'm sure) that were seasoned with cumin and maybe some other spices (chili powder and cumin, or even packaged "taco" seasoning would be fine, I think), and a bit of sauteed onion. Then the seasoned beans and potatoes were wrapped in a flour tortilla and served with salsa.

The other way I had it there was "jamaican jems" a crunchy sweet potato salad. The "dressing" seemed to be just garlic and "jamaican jerk" seasoning. This is the one I'm not sure I could easily duplicate at home. The sweet potato was crunchy (like raw carrot) and I'm not sure if it was completely raw or if it was blanched. The dressing wasn't noticeably oily or acidic, so I think it was just minced garlic (from a jar, I think) and the cumin and spices or maybe a jerk rub. It was a bit spicy, so I think there might have been a dash of cayenne in it. It was heavenly, and so unlike any way I've ever seen sweet potato served before.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #26  

You have got to try sweet potato fries. I wash and cut up my taters, leaving the skins on. I then season them with a dusting of cayenne pepper, kosher or sea salt, dried thyme and just a little olive oil. I bake them in one layer for 15 minutes, then flip them and bake another 10 minutes or so.

I serve my fries with Texas Pete honey mustard. The honey mustard is low fat, low calories, and not much sugar to boot. Yummy!!
cmichele1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

For the longest time (as a kid and young adult), I thought I hated sweet potatoes. I guess they were too orange. I wouldn't even try them at Thanksgiving with sugar and marshmallows. Then I discovered that I loved Thanksgiving sweet potatoes with sugar and marshmallows. The more marshmallows the better. I could eat the leftovers cold like ice cream for days. Of course, I told myself it was at least partly healthy :-)

But now, I'm quite amazed that I like them just plain. I think at Thanksgiving this year I'll request (or make some), with just a teeny bit of sugar as a treat, maybe just with fruit. The old way doesn't even sound good. Blech. I cannot believe I like them purely plain, no sugar or salt or anything. Yum.

Yum (did I already say that ) These are a staple now. And they honestly feel like a treat every time.

I never even like regular baked potatoes in the first place, ever.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 07-21-2008 at 12:46 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:11 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I love love love them!

I eat them raw

But mostly I will steam or microwave them sometimes with some kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) or roast/bake them with various spices. I also like to mash them or use them in soups and stews - also great in tortillas instead of normal potato or in tuna/salmon patties etc.

It's great stuff!
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 165

Height: 5'10"

One of my favorite things to do with sweet potatoes is to boil them until soft so you can mash them and then add salt, pepper, granulated or minced garlic, (butter if your calories allow), and chop up some canned chipotle peppers or rehydrate dried ones and chop them up. Depending on how much heat you want you could also add some red pepper flakes. I've also added half and half or milk but it's not a necessity. Try to drain the water after boiling them the best you can though, it's easy to make them too runny. You can also do this recipe with Yams.
NicoleRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:58 AM   #30  
Donna

I love sweet potatoes pretty much anyway except for with marshmellows. Whoever said they didn't like sweet veggies made sweeter hit the nail on the head.

For Thanksgiving my mom makes sweet potatoes that are mashed with the juice from a can of peaches and then put into the peach halves and baked again to warm them thru. It's sweeter but really good.

I also bake them (in toaster oven or on the grill), and roast them, and fries. I also like to do slices tossed with a little oil and seasonings and grill them. A couple of weeks ago I did mashed sweet potatoes with a little cheddar cheese tossed in, it was really good just remember they need less moisture than regular spuds (I had to cook again to dry them out, cause it was soupy).

OK I think we're going to have sweet potatoes with our roast (grilled) chicken tonight.....

-Tech

Last edited by TechAlum; 08-08-2008 at 09:00 AM.
TechAlum is offline   Reply With Quote