Spaghetti Squash

• What's your favorite way to have it? This is my first time making it, and my husband supposedly hates squash, lol...so I'd like to make a killer dish. Any ideas? I follow WW if that matters
  • I love spaghetti squash. My hubby wouldn't eat squash at all and hated it whenever I wanted to purchase some. I find the squash is best if not over cooked.....(al dente squash?) If cooked too long it becomes mushy instead of having spaghetti like strings. Some say to use it like you would spaghetti, serve it with some spaghetti sauce. I like it with just plain old salt & pepper.

Why not cook some just for yourself...then try it with several different toppings....and see what you like....he may become so curious that he decides to try some too. lol

Good luck!
  • Sorry, I forgot, I have a recipe...haven't made it since dieting, so you may want to massage some of the ingredients to better fit a "diet dish".

Spaghetti Squash Salad

1 Spaghetti Squash (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
    1 large onion, finely chopped,
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup diced celery
    1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
    1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down in baking pan. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2 inch. Bake uncovered at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes, or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the squash, separating strands with a fork. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl, add the squash and stir well. Cover & refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon as a salad...or as a relish side dish. Store in refrigerator.

This recipe is to be served cold. When I make this salad, I usually have request for the recipe. I think it is very good, however, this obviously isn't the only way to serve spaghetti squash....I also like it hot, served with a bit of butter salt & pepper, can't get enough of it....BE SURE you don't over cook it....I don't like mushy strings!!
  • Ooh--you're brave! I love squash, but the two times I've made spaghetti squash I've been very disappointed. I find it's not satisfying, neither as a squash--it's too stringy--nor as "spaghetti"--it isn't quite right (to me) as a pasta substitute. The texture's weird and flavor's off.

My suggestion is you find someone who really KNOWS how to make it so you like it, and ask them how they do it.
  • I love spaghetti squash. It's the only "pasta" I eat. I like it baked well, where it's not crunchy. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, place it on a baking dish with a little water in it and bake it till very soft, at 400 degrees, which is appox. 60 minutes depending on the size of the squash.

I saute lots and lots of onions, peppers, portabello mushrooms and chicken breast strips and fresh garlic using cooking spray and a small amount of olive oil. I then add some bottled marinara sauce, not much is needed. I then add the squash to the pan. Delicious. I sometimes add spinach to the mix as well. I sometimes do without the chicken. It's one my favorite meals these days.
  • rockinrobin......Sounds great...I will make note of your recipe...my mouth is watering already !!
  • Robin, Do you just chunk it or string it out when you do that recipe. I've tried doind the "pasta" thing and it didn't come out so good.
  • You can microwave it too. I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then place it face down in a microwave dish with maybe 1/2 inch of water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook for 8-10 minutes. I then scape the insides with a fork. I usually top mine with tomato sauce and whatever other veggies I have on hand.
  • Quote: Robin, Do you just chunk it or string it out when you do that recipe. I've tried doind the "pasta" thing and it didn't come out so good.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier - I just saw this now. I do the pasta thing. But it has to be cooked thoroughly in order to do that. When it's good and soft you kinda just take your fork and scoop it out and it's all stringy. Fairly pasta-like.

I've tried it in the microwave and it just didn't come out right. Maybe it's just my microwave. Who knows?