Old 07-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #46  
Queen of Everything

Height: 5'5

my two favorite veggie dishes are:

eggplant, sliced, egged, floured & fried with a lil salt/pepper (i can manage two all by myself) and i definitely leave the skin on... it never would've even occurred to me to peel them! plus if i'm gonna be bad by frying them, i might as well keep the skin on for the extra vitamins and it's a nice-not-quite-bitter taste.

and spinach casserole which is a family favorite and what we make on holidays instead of green bean casserole because everyone in my family hates green beans.

spinach casserole recipe is as follows:

3pkg frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed/drained thoroughly)
1 envelope lipton onion soup mix
16oz sour cream

mix those 3 things and spread in a casserole dish, then add a topping that is a combination of bread crumbs, melted butter and parmesan cheese (i always guesstimate the topping measurements). the topping should completely cover the spinach (like 3/8's an inch thick). bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until dark golden brown.

anyway, neither of these suggestions are all that diet friendly, though you can use fat free sour cream and it's really not bad at all.

oh, one more i love - roasted veggies (eggplant, bell peppers, zucchini) chopped and tossed with pesto!

my husband was pretty anti-veggies before we got married, and while he may be simply keeping the peace, he professes to love these. oh, and roasted acorn squash.
Mdae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:23 AM   #47  
Allie

S/C/G: 225/210/135

Height: 5'5''

I was in Nebraska visiting a friend a few weeks ago who didn't even know how to buy veggies at the grocery store! He was so preoccupied with where to weigh the veggies and where to write that down. Poor kid. He also grew up in a very meat and potatoes type family. I cooked for him but the best thing was going to an Indian restaurant (probably the only one in Lincoln, I have a spidey sense when it comes to Indian food) and made him get something vegetarian. I could not BELIEVE that he loved his choley (curried chickpeas) and ate half of my palak/saag as well! Palak paneer with tofu in place of the paneer is really easy to make as well and even my younger brother loves it- and since you can avoid the ghee and cream and all of that junk when you make it yourself, it's ridiculously healthy!

As someone who grew up on canned veggies, I must say that I still prefer canned green beans to fresh. It's almost embarrassing :P
charolastra00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:37 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

my fav that i never get tired off.. ASPARGUS....yum yum...(and not the crap from the can). Fresh drizzled with just a slight amount of olive oil and fresh cracked pepper and sea salt...then either on the grill (the best) or cooked in the over. I could eat that every day of the week!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:12 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 170/147/?135?

Height: 5ft4 (163 cm)

Simple spinach salad with honey mustard dressing:

Dressing: Mix 2 spoons of honey with enough yogurt to make it 'non-sticky' (about 5 spoonsfull) add 1 spoon of coarse mustard (with mustard seeds in it) add pepper and salt to taste.

add to that a lot of spinach or mixed dark greens and a little bit of crumbled goatcheese... YUMMIE.

If you need or want you could add a sliced up apple, finely chopped onion and roasted pine-nuts but it doesn't really need it.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #50  
Black Team TBL-WMB

S/C/G: 177/173/140

Height: 5'6'

Default favorite veggie

My favs are fiddle heads and corn and fresh beets. Fiddle heads are soo good with vinagar and real butter from the local dairy.
losinitin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #51  
Reluctant Adult

Count me in as another asparagus fan! We do it every way imaginable... grow it in the garden and feast on it while it's in season. Yum!

Here are 2 veggie recipes that always surprise people who tell me they "hate" vegetables:

Very Simple Beet Root Salad

3-4 medium-sized beets, RAW, peeled and shredded

Add:

drizzle of honey
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of balsamic vinegar, to taste
sea salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste

Mix well.

Serve over:

Baby arugula leaves

Top with:

A few crumbles of goat cheese.

Heaven on a plate!!

The next is an old WW recipe that I modified a bit to suit my own taste. It's basically a ratatouille. It works well as a side dish, an omelet filling or tossed with pasta -- and only 2 points per serving!!

1 1/2 TB olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced onion
3 garlic cloves, minced or to taste (I use double this amount)
3 cups cubed eggplant
1 cup EACH chopped celery, green bell pepper and mushrooms
9-12 medium tomatoes, blanched, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup chopped, fresh basil, or 1 1/2 tsp dried
salt and pepper to taste

In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; saute briefly. Add eggplant, celery, bell pepper and mushrooms. Saute for about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and seasonings; bring mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 10-20 minutes.

Top with parmesan cheese if desired.

6 servings, 2 points each

Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote