Makes 2 servings

1 cup raspberries, frozen
    1 cup crushed pineapple
    1 cup skim milk
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 lemon, juiced
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup lite silken tofu

Combine all ingredients together in a blender and puree until smooth.
  • Moca Chocolate and Raspberry Tofu Parfait
    (Originally posted by TobeyToe)
    Makes 4 servings

Mocha Chocolate Mousse:
    2 packages lite silken tofu
    3 tablespoons maple syrup
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    2 tablespoons coffee liqueur
    1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    2 teaspoons instant espresso
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Raspberry sauce:
    2 1/2 cups fresh raspberries, well rinsed, or frozen, thawed
    1/3 cup fresh orange juice
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Garnish:
    1/2 cup raspberries
    4 mint leaves

To prepare the mousse, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree until creamy, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mousse to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.

To prepare the raspberry sauce, combine 1 1/2 cups of raspberries and the remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth. Strain the raspberry sauce through a fine strainer (rubbing with a rubber spatula to work through the mesh) into a small bowl. Mix in the remaining 1 cup of whole raspberries, cover, and refrigerate for about 15 minutes.

Spoon a 1-inch deep layer of mousse into long, narrow parfait glasses or small glass dessert bowls, spreading out evenly. Top with a layer of raspberry sauce. Repeat, ending with a layer of mousse. Chill for at least 20 minutes. Garnish with some whole raspberries and a mint leaf.

Per serving: calories - 133, protein - 8 gm, fat - 2 gm, cholesterol - 0mg
  • Strawberry Tofu "Ice Cream"
    (originally posted by TobeyToe)
    Makes 2 servings

1 package lite silken tofu
    1.5 - 2 cups sliced frozen strawberries
    4 Tbs maple syrup

Blend everything in a food processor until very smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
  • Spinach Tofu Dip

2 scallions, coarsely chopped
    1 clove garlic, peeled
    10 ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 pound lite silken tofu
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    Splash sesame oil (optional)
    1 tablespoon soy sauce

Combine all ingredients in blender and process until smooth. Transfer to bowl and serve with raw vegetables.
  • Stuffed Pasta Shells
    Makes 6 servings

1 onion, finely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    two 28- to 32-ounce cans chopped tomatoes, do not drain
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon sugar
    12-ounce box jumbo pasta shells
    1 package lite silken tofu
    3 scallions, finely chopped
    2 egg whites
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
    15-ounce container nonfat ricotta
    3/4 cup grated part-skim mozzarella

In a 12-inch skillet cook onion and garlic with cooking spray over moderate heat until softened. Add tomatoes with juice and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, 40 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. Remove skillet from heat and cool sauce. Tomato sauce may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.

In boiling water cook pasta until al dente and drain.

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a food processor blend tofu, scallions, egg, parsley, ricotta, and 1/2 cup mozzarella until smooth. Spread about 1 cup tomato sauce in a baking dish. Fill each pasta shell with about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture and arrange shells in one layer, cheese sides up, over sauce. Pour remaining tomato sauce over shells and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella. Bake shells in
    middle of oven 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
  • Creamy Tomato Soup

Makes 4 servings

1 medium onion, diced
    1 cup skim milk
    1 10.5-ounce package firm lite silken tofu
    1 large tomato, diced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Sauté onion in sauce pan with cooking spray for 3 minutes or until transparent. Add tomato and garlic, continuing to sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add basil, salt and pepper. Blend in milk. Cook,stirring constantly, for one minute. Remove from heat and cool briefly. Add in tofu. Transfer to a food processor and purée until smooth.
  • Hot & Sour Soup
    Willmakit, I hope this is what you want. I haven't tried this yet so let me know how it turns out. I altered the recipe from Asian Cooking for Health cookbook to this vegetarian version.

Sichuan Hot & Sour Soup (China)
    2 cakes firm tofu, diced
    1 oz bamboo shoots, diced
    1 small carrot, diced
    8 large shitake mushrooms caps, diced
    1 oz wood ear mushrooms caps, diced
    4 cups vegetable broth or water
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 cup green peas
    1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground Sichuan pepper
    2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 4 tablespoons cool water
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    6 slices ginger, julienned
    4 scallions, chopped

Bring broth or water to boil in large pot. Add the tofu and vegetables, salt, sugar, peas and stir well. Return to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer 3 minutes. Add the soy, vinegar, oil, peppers and stir to blend for 1 minute. Stir the cornstarch and water again, then pour slowly into the simmering soup while stirring gently. Keep stirring until the soup thickens. Simmer 1 more minute, then turn off heat. Serve garnished with cilantro, ginger, and scallions.
  • Another Hot & Sour Soup Recipe
    This one I found on Cooks.com:

10 Chinese dried mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 30 min.
    4 cups water
    3 leeks, cut into strips (or 2 cans bamboo shoots, drained)
    1 lb. tofu, cut into cubes
    1 Tablespoon fresh ginger
    2 cups bean sprouts
    1/2 tsp. Tabasco hot sauce
    2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 Tbsp. cornstarch
    2 Tbsp. soy sauce
    2 scallions, minced

Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Cut mushrooms into strips. Pour water and mushroom liquid into a saucepan. Add leeks (or bamboo shoots), bean curd, ginger, bean sprouts, Tabasco, venegar, pepper. Bring to a boil. In a cup, dilute the corstarch with a little of the soup liquid and soy sauce. Stir into the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes until soup thickens. Sprinkle with scallions and serve. Add slices of radish, carrot, or cucumber to garnish.

I haven't tried any hot & sour recipes yet b/c I'm the only in the house that would eat it. But I have looked at a lot of recipes and fantasized! Other ingredients that might work as additions or substitutions are chili paste, rice wine vinegar, chopped water chestnuts, chili oil, and sesame oil.

Let me know what you discover in your hot & sour experiments!
  • Hey all,

I prepared Tofu Stir fry and it turned out so so so good! Cant wait to make it again. it takes only 10 mins and the whole thing has only 190-200 calories (without rice) which serves atleast 2 :

1 pack of extra firm tofu (I used house premium)
    1 pack of stir fry veggies (I used unfrozen carrots, shittake mushrooms, boychks, brocolli, cauliflower, celery, leeks, cabbage, zucchini)
    1/4 tsp garlic paste
    2-3 tbsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp of oil
    1tsp peanuts
    1/4 lemon squeezed
    salt and cayenne pepper to taste.

Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch pieces and drain with blotting paper.
    In a non-stick pan ad 1/2 tsp oil. add garlic paste, peanuts and tofu and saute for 1-2 minutes on high-medium flame. Then add veggies and 2-3 tbsp soy sauce and stir for 5-6 minutes biskly on high-medium flame. add salt and cayyenne pepper and mix it well. sprinkle water if needed. squeeze 1/4 lemon.

I like it dry like this. But if you want it with some gravy, add 1/4 cup water and 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in water. stir for 3-4 mins and serve with rice or just as is.
  • Tofu and veggies stir fry in coconut milk (Thai curry)

Same as above but instead of water and cornstarch, add 1/3 rd cup of coconut milk for the gravy. It tastes great!
  • Mauvarsroux- I just wanted to say thank you for your tofu Tips. Pressing the tofu, made a world of difference for me, I like it really well done.
  • Your welcome!

I find that sometimes you have to fool about with something until you get it how you like.
  • Tofu Nuggets

1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, well drained
    1 large egg white
    3 tablespoons wheat germ
    2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Slice the tofu into 1/2-inch slices. Place between several towels and place a light book on top of them. Allow to sit for about 15 minutes. This will remove any excess liquid from the tofu. Remove from the towels and cut the slices into 1/2-inch cubes.
    In a small bowl, beat the egg whites with a fork. Add the tofu and stir gently to coat the cubes completely.
    In another small bowl, mix the wheat germ, cornmeal, salt, and pepper. Mix well. To the mixture, add the tofu in small batches and toss until the tofu is coated. Place the cubes onto a lightly greased baking sheet, spaced well apart.
    Bake at 400*F (205*C) until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes, turning the tofu over every 5 minutes or so.
    Serve hot with a sauce for dipping.
  • Braised greens with tofu, cashews and raisins
    -1 pound kale (I used a bunch of red Swiss chard)
    -2 tablespoons olive oil (I didn't use this much!)
    -1/2 pound extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    1 teaspoon tamari
    -1/4 cup cashews
    -1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used fresh bread)
    -1/4 cup raisins
    -1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    -one good sized carrot, peeled
    -1/2 teaspoon natural sugar
    -2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (unseasoned)
    -freshly ground black pepper

1. Rinse greens, remove thick stems, coursely shred and set aside.
    3. Place the tofu cubes in a small bowl and drizzle with one teaspoon tamari. Toss to coat all the cubes. Let sit five minutes.
    3. Heat one tablespoon oil in wok or skillet. Add the tofu cubes and cook over high heat until browned.
    4. Turn the heat down. Add the mushrooms, cashews and bread crumbs and sauté until they are lightly browned. Stir in the raisins. Remove mixture from pan and set aside.
    5. Add the other tablespoon of oil to pan, shred the carrot right into the pan, increase heat to high and add the greens. Stir to mix, then cover and cook about three minutes until the greens have wilted but are still bright green. (Be careful not to burn them.)
    6. Reduce heat, stir in sugar and vinegar, and season to taste. Add the tofu mixture. Spread over polenta.

You can put it over polenta or another grain if you choose, but it's great on its own. I got this off of Andrea's Easy Vegan Cooking blog.
  • Press and drain extra firm tofu and cut into cubes:
    sprinkle with garlic salt and nutritional yeast
    spray with olive oil cooking spary and bake 400 degrees until crispy and brown
    or
    cook in frying pan until golden brown using cooking spray or a tsp to Tsp of extra virgin olive oil if you need your fat for the day!

sounds simple but the taste is amazing and you get your B12!!