Family Friendly Recipes

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Rice and Mushroom Casserole (Fat Free)
    (originally posted by TobeyToe)
    4 Servings

8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
    6 tablespoons dry sherry
    2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 cup skim milk
    2 1/2 cups cooked texmati rice blend

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute mushrooms over low heat with cooking spray and 4 Tablespoons of sherry. Add flour and stir until liquid and flour make a smooth paste. Add black pepper and milk; cook over medium heat until sauce thickens. Stir in remaining sherry and rice blend. Bake in covered dish at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 168 Calories from Fat 4
    Percent Total Calories From:
    Fat 2% Protein 16% Carb. 82%

Nutrient Amount per Serving % Daily Value
    Total Fat 0 g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0 g 1%
    Cholesterol 1 mg 0%
    Sodium 38 mg 2%
    Total Carbohydrate 34 g 11%
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 2%
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 7 g

Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
  • Soy Lasagna
    9 lasagna noodles
    1 tsp vegetable oil
    1 cup diced onions
    2 tsp minced garlic
    3 cups tomato pasta sauce
    1 1/2 tsp dried basil
    12 oz soy-based ground beef substitute
    2 cups smooth 5% ricotta cheese
    1 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
    1/3 cup low-fat milk
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

2. In a large pot of boiling water cook lasagna noodles for 12 to 14 minutes, or until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set aside.

3. To make the sauce: In a nonstick saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onions and garlic for 5 minutes or until browned. Stir in tomato sauce and basil, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 to 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Stir in ground soy and simmer for 3 minutes. Set aside.

4. To make cheese mixture: In a bowl, stir together ricotta mozzarella, milk and 3 tbsp of the Parmesan.

5. Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the baking dish. Top with three noodles and then spread half the cheese mixture over the noodles. Top with one-third of tomato sauce. Add three more noodles. Spread remaining cheese mixture over noodles and top with one-third of tomato sauce. Top off with remaining noodles and spread remaining tomato sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and cover with foil.

6. Bake in the center of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot.

Serves 8

• My family is all vegetarian, so we have recipes coming out our ears.. I've started posting them at http://veggie-recipe.blogspot.com. It's mostly dinner favorites, but all are healthy vegetarian choices. I provide any calorie and fat info that's been written down, but people with specifics might want to calculate things out. (I'll get to work on that if I have the patience ) Anyway, I hope people will enjoy these recipes as much as we do!
  • Bean, Cheese and Veggie wraps
    Serves 4

Ingredients:

4 low-fat or fat free soft flour tortillas
    2 cups mushrooms, sliced
    1 medium white or yellow onion, cut into thin slices
    1 can (14 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
    4 cups fresh spinach leaves, thoroughly rinsed and patted dry
    1/2 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
    Cooking spray

Directions:

Heat tortillas as directed on the packaging. Meanwhile, spray a medium-sized skillet with cooking spray and heat the pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes, until onion slices are tender but still firm.

Stir in the black beans and heat through, then add the spinach and stir until spinach is slightly wilted, rmove from heat.

Divided the mixture between the tortillas, then sprinkle with cheese.

Fold one end of each tortilla up about 1 inch over the filling, then fold the right and left sides over the folded end so that the overlap to create a pouch, then fold the remaining end down and place on a plate.

Serve with seasoned rice.

Nutritional information - per wrap (without rice):

275 Calories, 2g Fat; 10 g Fibre
  • Burritos
    Since i live alone, I try to make about 3-4 recipes a week and just freeze them until it's ready to eat. My favorite has been a bean burrito that tastes great cold or hot!

1 cup salsa
    1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can corn (optional, but i add it because it fills me up more)
    4 wheat tortillas
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon FF cheddar cheese (optional)

Mix salsa, beans, corn and spices together in a pan on medium heat. Cover and heat for 10 minutes or until done. The salsa and spices gives it a nice kick!

I love taking this to work for lunch as its a quick filling lunch, but i also love throwing it on top of a bed of greens for a nice healthy taco salad.