Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Veg Holiday Recipes

In light of GoingGoal's holiday cookbook post in Veggie Chicks, I thought this might be good to get some holiday recipes going. I am a new vegetarian (7 months or so) and this will be my first holiday feast with my family since discovering my superior lifestyle. Seriously - I need some super yummy recipes that I can bring that they will love too, so they won't feel like they are having to sacrifice all of our traditional menu items to accomodate a small batch of us vegetarians (me, my husband, and now Suzanne).

I'm going to test some recipes out this weekend, and will post later if they are holiday worthy.

Anybody have some good ones to share?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love this one, but be warned, you'll have to fight for your share with the carnivores.

Cashew Nut Loaf

2 medium eggplant, sliced
6 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup brown rice (I have substituted wild rice, which was good, I usually add about a cup - cooked)
2 cups raw cashews, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
3 garlic cloves, minced (I usually add a little more)
3 large tomatoes
6 slices rye bread, toasted and crushed into crumbs (I have always just used regular bread crumbs)
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 teaspoons brewer's yeast
1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
2 teapoons fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (I usually squeeze a half a lemon)
  1. Preheat oven to broil. Brush eggplant slices with 2 tbls. oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, and broil 5 to 7 minutes. Turn eggplant slices, and broil 5 more minutes, or until slices are tender and light brown. Set aside, and lower oven heat to 350*F.
  2. Cook rice, following package directions, and set aside. Meanwhile, heat remaining 4 tbls. oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute cashews, onion and garlic in oil 5 to 7 minutes, or until onion is soft and brown. Chop one tomato, and add to skillet; cook 3 more minutes.
  3. Transfer cashew mix to large bowl. Stir in cooked rice, breadcrumbs, broth, brewer's yeast, basil, thyme and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  4. Coat a 9"x13" oval baking dish with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the dish with half of the broiled eggplant slices. Spoon in cashew mixture. Top with remaining eggplant slices. Slice remaining 2 tomatoes, and layer down center of casserole to form a broad, bright red stripe.
  5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is brown and filling is hot. Serve immediately. Enjoy.

I found this on a website a few years ago. One of the variations listed was to add some chopped mushrooms to step 1.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #3  
WW Moderator

That one sounds GOOD! Does it take as long to cook as it looks? I know looks can be deceiving. Here is one I might try this Thanksgiving. It's from Vegkitchen.com

Quote:
BUTTERNUT SQUASH WITH WHOLE WHEAT, WILD RICE, & ONION STUFFING Serves: 8

Even those of us who have given up turkey welcome a Thanksgiving dish that has been "stuffed." This satisfying dish makes a handsome centerpiece for the holiday meal.
4 medium-small butternut squashes (about 1 pound each)
3/4 cup raw wild rice, rinsed
1 tablespoon light olive oil
1 heaping cup chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups firmly packed torn whole wheat bread
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon each: dried sage, dried thyme
1 teaspoon seasoned salt, or to taste
1 cup fresh orange juice
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Halve the squashes and scoop out seeds and fibers. Place them cut side up in shallow baking dishes and cover tightly with covers or more foil. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until easily pierced with a knife but still firm.

In the meantime, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the wild rice, reduce to a simmer, then cover and cook until the water is absorbed, about 40 minutes.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until golden.

In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked wild rice with the sautéed onion and the remaining ingredients. When the squashes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp, leaving firm shells about 1/2 inch thick. Chop the pulp and stir it into the rice mixture. Stuff the squashes, place in foil-lined baking dishes, and cover.

Before serving, place the squashes in a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or just until well heated through.

VARIATION: To add drama to this presentation, try this recipe with other squash varieties. Hubbard squash, delicata, sweet dumpling and golden nugget are just a few of the stuffable edible squashes available.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #4  

Seriously check out vegweb.com. They have so many great recipies, and they are always adding new ones. Every year during the Holidays I make a big dish of roasted veggies; beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, peeled garlic, mushrooms....add fresh cranberries, toss in some apple juice, brown sugar, and cinnamon for flavor and roast at 375 for about an hour, stir once in awhile.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

Oooh I had never thought of putting cranberries in my roasted vegetables. Oh wow, I'll have to try this one out sooner than the holidays. How much apple juice, just a splash for moisture?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Holiday Brussel Sprouts

1 pound Brussel sprouts, steamed
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375F. Coat an 8 X 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Place Brussel sprouts in bottom of prepared pan. (Note: If you can't find fresh Brussel sprouts, use frozen ones that have been thawed; just decrease the cooking time below by about 10 to 15 minutes.)

Combine maple syrup, oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a small bowl; pour over Brussel sprouts. Stir in cranberries and bake, covered, until tender and bubbly, about 30 minutes.

Makes about 3/4 cup per serving.

Serves 4 @ 2 points per serving
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #7  

Yeah, just a splash, aslo a couple table spoons of olive oil can keep things moist, you don't want runny, just coated. The cranberries are great. Oh, you can sub orange juice for apple and add some orange rind. Festive!
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 PM   #8  

This link was included in a news letter that I receive every month. It has vegan Thanksgiving holiday planing tips and menu.

drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/oct/holiday.htm

Here is also the link for the news letter. At the bottom it gives the links for the archives so that you can pull up the recipes in the menu.

drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/oct/061000.htm
GoingGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #9  

Default Cookie Press Cookies

Makes 8 dozen cookies

Ingredients:

3/4 cup margarine
1 cup natural sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 - 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
Ener-G for 3 eggs, prepared
1 & 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 & 1/4 cups flour (plus about another 1/2 - 1 cup)
Coloured sprinkles (optional)
Vegetable no-stick spray

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat margarine until very creamy. Add sugar and beat until very creamy and light. Add salt. Add egg substitute in gradually while beating.

In a separate bowl mix baking powder and flour. Add margarine mixture slowly. Let dough rest 10 minutes before adding additional flour. Wait 5 minutes between 1/2 cups to allow dough to become stiff.
* The consistency of the dough should resemble thick mashed potatoes but should be a bit thinner for cookie press and a bit thicker if you are making flat cookies.

Spray the inside of your cookie press with no-stick spray. Press out cookies onto pans. *Note: Do not grease the pans if you are using non-stick cookware, however, if you are using regular cookware then do grease the cookie sheets with the vegetable spray.

Top the cookies with the sprinkles before cooking and bake at 375f degrees on raised rack (1/4"from top of oven) for 15 minutes or until edges are just becoming golden. Remove cookies from oven and let cool slightly before removing from non-stick cookie sheets. (*NOTE- remove while hot for regular sheets and transfer to a cooling rack)
Old 11-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #10  

Default Christmas Biscotti

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Cointreau
3/4 cup cranberries, dried
2/3 cup sliced almonds
a pinch of salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

In a large bowl, beat vegetable oil and sugar together. Add in the water, Cointreau, baking powder and salt. Mix in the flour, cranberries and nuts.

Place dough on a greased baking sheet in a loaf 3/4 inch high and 3 inches wide. Bake for 35 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes, then remove and slice into 1/2 inch pieces. Place on their bottom edge on a baking sheet leaving a space between slices. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden brown remove from oven and let cool.

These make a lovely gift with a gourmet can of coffee or hot chocolate and wrapped in festive cellowrap tied with a fancy ribbon.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:21 PM   #11  

Default Marzipan cookies

A friend passed this on to me but I haven't tried it out yet.

1 cup soy margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
assorted food colorings (blue, green, yellow, red)

Beat margarine and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed or mix with a spoon.

Stir in flour and almond extract until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Divide into three equal parts.

Tint and shape dough as directed below. Work with one part of the dough at a time, keeping the remaining dough refrigerated. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Heat oven to 300 degrees. Bake about 30 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.

For apples: Mix red or green food color into part of the dough. Shape into small balls. Insert small pieces of cinnamon stick into the top of each for a stem and a whole clove into the bottom for the blossom end. Dilute red and green food coloring with water and brush over apples.

For apricots: Mix red and yellow food coloring into part of the dough. Shape into small balls. Make a crease down1 side of each with a toothpick. Insert whole cloves in each for the stem end. Dilute red food coloring with water and brush over apricots.

For bananas: Mix yellow food coloring into part of the dough. Shape into three inch rolls, tapering ends to look like bananas. Slightly flatten sides of each; curving each slightly. Paint markings on with mixture of red, yellow and blue food coloring diluted with water.

For oranges: Mix red and yellow food coloring into part of the dough. Shape into small balls. Insert a whole clove in each for the blossom end. Prick balls with the blunt end of a toothpick to look like orange peel.

For pears: Mix yellow food coloring into part of the dough. Shape small balls then into cone shapes, rounding narrow ends of each. Insert a small piece of cinnamon stick in the narrow ends for the stems. Dilute red food coloring with water and brush on "cheeks" of pears.

For strawberries: Mix red food coloring into part of the dough. Shape into small balls then into heart shapes, about 3/4 inch high. Prick with the blunt end of a toothpick for texture. Roll in red sugar. Insert small pieces of green colored toothpicks or green dough into the tops of each for the stems.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:30 PM   #12  

Default Simple Sugar Cookies

Haven't tried this one yet - I am planning a practice run in November.
Ingredients:

1 cup margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 & 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
sugar for dipping

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat margarine with 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Using a wooden spoon, stir in salt and flour until smooth and well-combined. Cover dough. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Lightly grease a cookie sheet. On lightly sugared surface, roll out dough, about 1/2 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut out cookies in desired shapes. Place 1 inch apart on the greased cookie sheet. Bake 15 - 20 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. While stillwarm, dip in sugar. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #13  

Height: 5'2"

Smile Easy Vegetarian Red Beans Lasagna

I came across this recipe a couple of years ago on allrecipes.com. When I first looked at the ingredients, I thought, yeah right?! Then I tried it. It's an amazing dish that's simple to make. It's become a staple on my holiday table.

Easy Vegetarian Red Beans Lasagna

Submitted By: XVELVETX
Photo By: Dani

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
Ready In: 55 Minutes
Servings: 4

"This exciting twist on lasagna features beans, Gruyere cheese, and a delicious bechamel sauce."

INGREDIENTS:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can red beans, drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes,drained
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cold milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 no-boil lasagna noodles
4 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in garlic, and cook until heated through. Mix in red beans, tomatoes, and red bell pepper. Season with basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, and gradually mix in flour until smooth. Slowly stir in the milk. Mix in Parmesan cheese, and continue to cook and stir until slightly thickened.
4. Spread 1/2 the red bean mixture in a 9x9 inch casserole dish, and top with 2 lasagna noodles. Layer with remaining bean mixture and remaining noodles. Cover with the sauce, and top with Gruyere cheese.
5. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/30/2012
BrownEyedVeggie is offline   Reply With Quote