3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian and Vegan FAQ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-vegan-faq-152/)
-   -   different milks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-vegan-faq/198019-different-milks.html)

pinkalarmclock 03-30-2010 12:30 AM

different milks

hi! i drink soy milk but recently I have been thinking of trying some other types of milk that i've heard of; rice milk, almond milk. I was wondering if any of you have tried these and what you have to say about them. Oh, and if they are ridiculously expensive.

Suzanne 3FC 03-30-2010 01:32 AM

I buy Almond Breeze unsweetened almond milk, both plain and vanilla. I've never tried rice milk, and I don't like soy milk. I stock up when the Almond Breeze is on sale for $2 per quart, which seems to be pretty frequently in my area.

nelie 03-30-2010 08:15 AM

Whole foods generally has their brand of rice milk for $1.69/quart and you can often find almond milk for $1.99/quart. I buy half a gallon of almond milk for $3.59 at a local organic market.

I generally only use almond milk but sometimes I'll mix it up with rice or soy.

JoJoJo2 03-30-2010 09:47 AM

I've never tried the rice or soy milks, but I am absolutely hooked on Almond Breeze almond milk.

It is absolutely yummy - - - -

pinkalarmclock 03-30-2010 10:08 AM

almond milk is the one i'm more interested in. im glad i got so many responses i wasn't sure if there would be anyone lol! thankyou.

angelskeep 03-30-2010 10:09 AM

I've fallen in love with the plain almond milk, didn't care much for the soy, and never tried the rice. I can't remember what I pay for it, but I know that the kind in the box at walmart superstore is cheaper than a smaller size box at Albertsons. I haven't been to Costco, but next time I go there, I'll check it out for sure and see if they carry it.

Barb

pinkalarmclock 03-30-2010 10:19 PM

went and got the almond breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk! was surprised how much it actually tastes like almonds lol. it is good, and I got a coupon for a free carton of silk almond milk! two milks for the price of one isn't bad at all

angelskeep 03-30-2010 11:54 PM

Cool beans! Sometimes when I want something sweet I have the almond milk. It isn't sweet at all, but it seems to really calm that craving. Dunno why it does that, but it's an extra bonus!

Barb

CyndiM 03-31-2010 11:00 AM

I've started using hemp milk when I want something richer. It's especially good in chai. When I buy almond I always use vanilla but find the plain unsweetened hemp milk is so rich I don't need the extra flavor.

nelie 03-31-2010 11:06 AM

I think hemp milks have also been refined a little in that when they initially came out, they were very 'earthy'.

HopefulandHappy 05-13-2010 12:52 AM

You can make your own nut or soy milks - just google nut milk recipes or milk alternatives, whatever specific one you're interested and you should find options.

I've heard home made soy milk is so much better than store bought. And I like almond breeze. Rice milk is quite thin and the ones I've had were rather sweet. Never tried hemp, but it sounds worth a try from previous posts.

There's also oat milk, haven't tried that one either and you can make nut milk out of cashews, or almost any nut.

KenzideRhae 10-21-2010 03:37 PM

Agreeing with everyone else who's mentioned Almond Breeze-- I love that stuff! I always buy the unsweetened vanilla kind and it's just delicious. I make my own almond milk sometimes too, or oat milk.

For the oat milk, you just soak oats overnight in water and then strain the oats from the liquid and voilą, oat milk. For the almond milk (or any other kind of nut milk you want to make, really), just blend the nuts with water, let it sit for a few minutes, and then strain it. You can blend the leftover nut flesh with a little honey to make a yummy treat as well. :)

Sea 10-21-2010 05:43 PM

I use rice milk ($1.69 - 2.29 per quart). If cost is a concern you can make your own very cheaply. I avoid the vanilla as it is way too sweet.

mama_penguino 08-23-2011 05:35 PM

Love, love, love the unsweetened Almond Breeze vanilla- 40 cals/cup and provides 25% of daily calcium. Great in smoothies...

bargoo 08-23-2011 07:06 PM

Another vote for Almond Breeze unsweetened.