3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/)
-   -   why do people take it so personally? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks/96163-why-do-people-take-so-personally.html)

juliebee 10-17-2006 07:14 PM

why do people take it so personally?

Hello,
A vegetarian for two years, I went back to eating meat a year ago. Lately I've been regretting that choice and have gone back to being vegetarian. I'm extremely happy that I made the choice to go back, however a lot of people in my life (thankfully not ALL) have been incredibly defensive when I tell them I'm not eating meat again. You'd think I was telling them I was going to throw them in front of a bus!! Why do people seem to take it so personally when you tell them you're a veggie? It's almost as though they feel the need to defend meat..?! Has anyone else experienced this?

phantastica 10-17-2006 07:32 PM

Yes, I've experienced that, and I'm not even a vegetarian ... I made a comment once about eating more like a vegetarian, and a guy I know got defensive. He was a big hunting guy, that's probably why.

I think it's also because the meat industry is old and influential in the US.

Hale_Mary 10-17-2006 09:29 PM

Funny. I've experienced something similiar and I'm not a vegetarian either. I've simply made an effort to add more vegetables in my diet.

I don't understand why some people become so defensive about it. I suppose they're readying themselves for a debate. Somehow the mere act of being a vegetarian must imply that they are A) unhealthy or B) meanie animal killers.

I attempted to be a vegatarian many years ago, but it didn't work. I definitely respect the lifestyle, but it's not for me. When I was researching vegetarianism early on, people got all riled up. I didn't care who ate what, nor was I interested in "converting" anyone. I suppose food can be a lot like religon or politics. Very personal. :)

Misti in Seattle 10-18-2006 06:59 AM

Actually it works both ways. I'm NOT a vegetarian and have quite often had people who ARE come across as though they are sooooooooooo much more sanctimonious than those of us who eat meat. In fact it happens a LOT. Perhaps that is why some people have begun to come across as a bit defensive to the veggie folks. :) Just a thought. :)

amyn 10-18-2006 07:46 AM

I would agree with Misti. I have been all over the dietary boards, veggie for 12 years, vegan for 5, and now I do eat some meat. I have found some very self righteous vegetarians, and almost get more grief for meat eating. Though, I do live in a very "veggie" type town. Have to do what is best for us, I guess.

Inconceivable 10-18-2006 10:32 AM

Not a vegi, but I think its just about people's own insecurities. Anything different, especially if it may be healthier than the way the person lives, causes defensiveness. Its as if the very existence of a "healthier" way of eating is an affront to their attempts to do what's right for themselves.

Misti in Seattle 10-18-2006 08:28 PM

Not everyone agrees that vegetarian is healthier than reasonable amounts of meat. :) Me, for one.

Jennifer 3FC 10-19-2006 08:45 AM

Ah but being vegetarian is more than just "no meat" versus "reasonable amounts" of meat. That is a common misconception of vegetarianism. I don't think she meant healthier as in solely a meat free diet, but maybe because she is making health conscious decisions all the way around, and a person that would be defensive might be eating meat that also happens to be unhealthy, like cheeseburgers and onion rings all day. That isn't a carnivorous statement, it would be nearly the same as BK veggie burgers and onion rings all day. :)

A lot of people just aren't concerned with what they eat, and a person that might be making health conscious decisions that also doesn't eat meat, might be a threat. Hmm, wait. Strike that. Thinking more of this it makes me think that somebody secure in their diet wouldn't be threatened, but if somebody knew they were consuming too many artery clogging foods (not particularly meat, but dairy products more likely) for example, and might be thinking they need to make some changes, assume that the vegetarian sharing the table could be acting condescending when they are not. (Although I'm sure there are veggie snobs out there too..) Some people assume that because a vegetarian promotes their way of eating that they might be saying that their way is better for everybody. I think the veggies are more on a defense overall, and the common event of explaining 'why' just comes out whether we've been asked or not because we are commonly stereotyped that being a vegetarian is only because 'no meat is healthier.'

And not all vegetarians eat a healthy diet. If somebody ate fettucine alfredo, fruit loops and grilled cheese sandwiches all day then they wouldn't be as threatening to some people. :lol:

Now, back to misconceptions about vegetarians. We aren't all just cutting out meat for health concerns. For many it is a total package. Cutting out meat that has hormones and antibiotics, eating more vegetables free of pesticides, finding low cholesterol alternatives, eating heart healthy protein sources, getting balanced fiber for heart and colon health, focusing on antioxidants, etc. Vegetarians stand to have a very unhealthy diet (see the alfredo comment above) if not more concerned about the whole picture. So it goes much deeper than meat for a lot of us.

Now, with all that said, you might think I'm implying I'm a health nut. Actually, I'm not a vegetarian because of health concerns, but because of animal rights and the way that animals are treated in a mass market of profit and greed. And then there is the effect that all the animal methane has on the ozone layer, but that is boring to anybody that isn't into that kind of research, so I'll spare you. :lol: If I lived on a farm I might eat meat from animals that were given a proper life and able to move freely in a clean environment. But that IS another story, and I have to get my butt ready for work. :wave:

juliebee 10-19-2006 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle (Post 1441593)
Actually it works both ways. I'm NOT a vegetarian and have quite often had people who ARE come across as though they are sooooooooooo much more sanctimonious than those of us who eat meat. In fact it happens a LOT. Perhaps that is why some people have begun to come across as a bit defensive to the veggie folks. :) Just a thought. :)

That's a good point! It's true that some veggies tend to preach about it. Kinda ruins it for the rest of us :)

juliebee 10-19-2006 04:40 PM

YES! good points all around!!
I originally became vegetarian due to the reasons you listed below (cruelty, greed, etc.) I also found I felt much better and that is why I decided to go back :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer 3FC (Post 1442815)
Ah but being vegetarian is more than just "no meat" versus "reasonable amounts" of meat. That is a common misconception of vegetarianism. I don't think she meant healthier as in solely a meat free diet, but maybe because she is making health conscious decisions all the way around, and a person that would be defensive might be eating meat that also happens to be unhealthy, like cheeseburgers and onion rings all day. That isn't a carnivorous statement, it would be nearly the same as BK veggie burgers and onion rings all day. :)

A lot of people just aren't concerned with what they eat, and a person that might be making health conscious decisions that also doesn't eat meat, might be a threat. Hmm, wait. Strike that. Thinking more of this it makes me think that somebody secure in their diet wouldn't be threatened, but if somebody knew they were consuming too many artery clogging foods (not particularly meat, but dairy products more likely) for example, and might be thinking they need to make some changes, assume that the vegetarian sharing the table could be acting condescending when they are not. (Although I'm sure there are veggie snobs out there too..) Some people assume that because a vegetarian promotes their way of eating that they might be saying that their way is better for everybody. I think the veggies are more on a defense overall, and the common event of explaining 'why' just comes out whether we've been asked or not because we are commonly stereotyped that being a vegetarian is only because 'no meat is healthier.'

And not all vegetarians eat a healthy diet. If somebody ate fettucine alfredo, fruit loops and grilled cheese sandwiches all day then they wouldn't be as threatening to some people. :lol:

Now, back to misconceptions about vegetarians. We aren't all just cutting out meat for health concerns. For many it is a total package. Cutting out meat that has hormones and antibiotics, eating more vegetables free of pesticides, finding low cholesterol alternatives, eating heart healthy protein sources, getting balanced fiber for heart and colon health, focusing on antioxidants, etc. Vegetarians stand to have a very unhealthy diet (see the alfredo comment above) if not more concerned about the whole picture. So it goes much deeper than meat for a lot of us.

Now, with all that said, you might think I'm implying I'm a health nut. Actually, I'm not a vegetarian because of health concerns, but because of animal rights and the way that animals are treated in a mass market of profit and greed. And then there is the effect that all the animal methane has on the ozone layer, but that is boring to anybody that isn't into that kind of research, so I'll spare you. :lol: If I lived on a farm I might eat meat from animals that were given a proper life and able to move freely in a clean environment. But that IS another story, and I have to get my butt ready for work. :wave:

Misti in Seattle 10-19-2006 08:12 PM

Okay I didn't mean to start a debate. :) I still stand by my original comments. :) Trust me through the years I have seen SO much of a "higher" attitude among vegetarians that I've learned to completely avoid discussions with them. So guess I had best get out of this thread. :)

rabidstoat 10-19-2006 09:11 PM

I ate pescatarian (lacto-ovo vegetarian with fish as well) for a few years, and people at work thought I was nuts. Those were actually the healthiest eating years of my life! The only time in the past 20 years I was not 'morbidly obese' but merely 'overweight'.

Most of the negative comments I got was about nutrition. Between fish (which isn't even vegetarian) and soy products and tofu and beans and milk and all of that, I got enough protein. I monitored closely in Fitday then, because I was really into nutrition at that point in my life. I would consistently get 10-20% of my calories from protein, depending on the day. Hardly protein-deficient.

Suzanne 3FC 10-19-2006 11:30 PM

I only recently became a vegetarian (and for none of the reasons mentioned in this thread). During my meat-eating days, I never heard a vegetarian display a "higher" attitude. However, I've heard a lot of snide comments from non-vegetarians, both before and since I changed my menu choices. So I agree with the original post. I don't understand why people should be critical of what we put on our plates, when it's always based on personal choice whether it's a steak or green beans.

mauvaisroux 10-20-2006 02:08 PM

Well I've seen both sides of it - from pushy meat eaters to pushy vegans. No matter what people eat or what diet they are on some people have to get on a soapbox about it while others just live their lifestyle and don't feel the need to preach to people. I've seen some people get so riled about their diets that you would think they were talking politics or religion they are so passionate about it. I know some people would diss me because I eat mostly vegetarian now and others would diss me because I am not vegetarian enough - whatever! :shrug:

Perhaps people who are not interested in being a vegetarian or vegan should not be putting comments in a forum when they are not following that lifestyle or plan since this can often start debates or arguments that can get really ugly even if that were not one's intentions.

Misti in Seattle 10-20-2006 08:43 PM

Good point. :) I shall withdraw. However, I also find it "interesting" that what is/is not allowed in this forum bears little or no resemblance to the actual rules but is more at the whim of the moderators. :)