Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #1  

Default Trying the Veg*n Lifestyle

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to lose the last few pounds for a while now and lately I've been considering eliminating animal products. I'm not sure how difficult this will be -- I hate cooking but I notice that they have a lot of meat substitutes in the stores. So I think I just might be in luck as far as convenience goes. I'm going to give this about a one or two week try and see how it feels. I've tried soymilk and I'm impressed -- it actually tastes good to me. I've tried soy yogurt and that too is really good. It seems that there may be some controversy surrounding soy and some potential risks, do any of you have more information about that?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #2  

ive eaten soy for years and have only benifited from it.

"What's known is that all foods, including soy, are complex collections of chemicals that can be beneficial for many people in many situations, but can be harmful to some people when used inappropriately. In that simple fact lies much of the scientific dilemma--when do data show a food is safe and when do they show there could be problems?

Scientists agree that foods rich in soy protein can have considerable value to heart health, a fact backed by dozens of controlled clinical studies. A yearlong review of the available human studies in 1999 prompted FDA to allow a health claim on food labels stating that a daily diet containing 25 grams of soy protein, also low in saturated fat and cholesterol, may reduce the risk of heart disease"

"The problem, researchers say, is that isoflavones are phytoestrogens, a weak form of estrogen that could have a drug-like effect in the body. This may be pronounced in postmenopausal women, and some studies suggest that high isoflavone levels might increase the risk of cancer, particularly breast cancer. Research data, however, are far from conclusive, and some studies show just the opposite--that under some conditions, soy may help prevent breast cancer. It is this scientific conundrum, where evidence simultaneously points to benefits and possible risks, that is causing some researchers to urge caution"
-Soy: Health Claims for Soy Protein,
Questions About Other Components-
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/300_soy.html

that might be of some help =\

and for me personally,when i first stopped eating meat i lost weight very quickly with out even trying, but eventually gained it back by not being able to afford the healthier alternatives..and instead ate junk food (this was when i was 14ish...its evil how junk food tends to be cheaper than healthy food)
Old 12-05-2005, 08:30 PM   #3  

I love Silk vanilla soymilk, I have asthma and have found that milk is a trigger for me. I have not tried soy yogurt, but it sounds good. Boca burgers are also really good, and they cook in the microwave in about a min. Good luck. There are so many benefit of eating no meat or less meat that it is worth the try
Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 PM   #4  

Great sources of vegan information and inspiration:

vrg.org (their "Nutrition" section is especially valuable)
veganoutreach.org
veganhealth.org

I personally try not to take in too much soy, as there is some conflicting health information out there. You can find studies to support all views, both pro- and anti-soy; there is no definitive answer to "the soy question."

If you rely heavily on processed and packaged meat alternatives, you will likely take in a lot of soy, and IMO, relying on any one type of food too much is not optimal nutritionally.

As a milk alternative, I often use almond milk, and occasionally rice milk (although I think it is too watery). For protein sources, I use seitan (wheat gluten) and beans, both of which are easy to prepare.

Are you trying to eat vegan just for a few weeks to lose weight, or are you trying to make a permanent change? If it's just temporary, then the soy issue probably doesn't matter much. If you are hoping to avoid animal products for life, though, you might want to work towards a more diversified way of eating .
Old 12-06-2005, 01:45 AM   #5  

Thank you all so much for the wonderful information. I will definitely look at those websites. I have heard of seitan before and that it has the texture of meat. I will have to try that. I understand what you are saying about taking in too much soy..if I end up making a permanent lifestyle change then I will have to look at more options. I think it's going to take a little time to figure out everything that is available. Almond milk is a good idea, I will have to try that.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM   #6  
I like jewelry.

Height: 5'7"

vegweb.com is my fave vegan recipe site.

When you cook meat substitutes, remember that they are mainly for texture, and don't expect them to taste like meat.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #7  

Thanks TB,

I have had Tofu and I think it tastes fine -- I like the way it soaks up the flavors around it. I hope to try seitan soon -- it sounds interesting.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #8  
Opulent

I have been veg*n for many many years. If you ever need any help or guidance, send me a PM.
Closed Thread