Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:53 PM   #1  
Movin' to the Country!

Default Any Raw (Living) Foodists here???

Hi! Just wondering if there are any veggie's out there who try to eat mostly raw veggie foods. I've been endeavoring to eat more raw foods in order to overcome some health problems and was up to about 80% raw but fall off the wagon now and again. I would love to find someone else who could encourage and be encouraged to maintain this lifestyle. I've tried some of the "Living Food" websites but there is so much emphasis on the numbers (what % raw you are) and my aim is just to be healthy. I was participating in a SAHM's thread but don't really fit in anymore since I went veggie and mostly raw. Is there anyone out there who feels the same? Looking forward to meeting and talking with you!
Old 09-03-2004, 04:28 PM   #2  

Thumbs up I've just turned RAW!

And I feel great. I started on the South Beach Diet and into week 3 I found out about Raw-food Life. I got a few books and then I started. My partner thinks I've gone mad ... but as they say "Cooked food is poison".
How have you started? What food do you eat?

Sharon x.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #3  

I went about 50% raw a few years ago. It messed with my mood. Since I have a mood disorder, I can't stay with it. For now, my goal is one raw food item a day. Sounds easy, but when you eat everything cooked, it's a hard habit to break!
Old 09-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #4  

I do understand as I too have a mood disorder. But I don't eat any cooked food now and my mood is good, a little hyper maybe but considering I've just "slept" for the last two years I'm happy!
My bf really thinks I need to go back on my pills again lol

It's weird within a week or so on raw I was able to stop smoking and stop taking pain killers. It seems that the addiction to cooked food was making my body crave an unnatural high. Now I get a normal high from fruit and veg! It's really worth giving it a go or at least read up about it.
I've just read a book called: ''Nature's First Law: The Raw-Food Diet - 6th Ed.'' by Stephen Arlin, RC Dini, and David Wolfe and it's opened my eyes.
Have a look at www.rawfood.com

Sharonx.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:56 AM   #5  

it's still working for me @ week 7! i've lost 2stone in weight!!

sharonx.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #6  

Hiya Candy & Sharon-
Just wanted to say hi and see if you were still rawing it and checking this thread... I've been 100% since 12/27 and LOVE it! No cravings, nothing has even tempted me yet!!! I tried raw a few times since 2002 but could never go longer that two weeks and this time I am determined to do 30 days - period!

You probably already know about Alissa Cohen's Rawfoodtalk forum but there is a lot of excellent support there. Not so much here. I've found that when you start talking about being raw even if you don't try to tell others to do it, they kinda ignore you or quit addressing you - they probably think we've gone nuts as it is so far out of the realm of what is normal to them they can't relate to us. That's o.k. - so many great raw boards out there!! I still plan on checking in on the thread I'm posting in to give them updates from time to time - I am determined to at least plant a seed there .

Anyway, best to you both and way to go on the fab weight loss Sharon!!

-Del

Last edited by Ddel30; 01-05-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:56 PM   #7  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Don't worry, we Alternachicks won't think you are nuts There are a lot of different plans here so we are pretty accepting of new things.

I am not a raw foodist but have heard of the concept - my dad tried it for a while but couldn't stick to it. I am however, a proponent of natural foods and try to eat the freshest produce possible and in doing so end up eating a lot of raw veg and fruit. I actually prefer raw over cooked veg as most people/restaurants end up boiling there veggies to death and then they are tasteless

Do any of you do juicing too? My dad gave me a juicer last year but I have never got off my duff to use it but I have been reading up on it a little.

Good luck with your plan!
Old 03-29-2005, 09:40 AM   #8  

Hi Candy

I used to be very into the raw/living food thing and remember also finding the whole obsession with percentages a bit ott. A few months ago I started investigating it again and this time stumbled upon Dr Joel Fuhrman's material. Wow. I pretty much thought I knew it all on the subject by this point but after reading his book, newsletters and member site I admit I'd just scratched the surface. His work and his documented results have blown me away. All his stuff is meticulously researched and backed up by literally tons of peer reviewed reasearch, this guy is thorough. Anyway, he says that while a lot of our fruit and veg should be consumed raw and fresh to retain nutrients etc, actually some nutrients are not absorbed optimally unless lightly cooked. That I didn't know. His plan is based on aiming for 1lb of raw veg and 1lb of lightly cooked veg a day plus at least 1 cup of legumes, at least 4 fruits and nuts seeds and starchy veg/wholegrains in limited quantities. Also no stimulants or flavour enhancers - at the moment I'm struggling with cutting out salt. But I'm on day four and it really is getting easier Anyway, check out his website its very interesting and good luck.

He should pay me commission
Old 05-05-2005, 07:32 PM   #9  
Staying strong

I'm about 50% raw, I guess. I was 100% for the longest time, but I found the bloating from all the fibre messed with my emotions... Plus, eating cold food all the time reallyyyyyyyy starts to get to you. I've started steaming my vegetables, but still eating things like cukes, carrots and the like in their raw state.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:43 PM   #10  

I am a raw foodist. I'm 1/2 way through my 30 day challenge on Alissa's site! I love her site and don't find the emphasis to be so much on how raw you are or are not. They seem to be very accepting of those who are not all raw!
Other sites that I have been to are not.
I went shopping tonight and the guy in front of me said, wow, you must shop only in the produce section! I laughed and said, yes I do! He asked if I was a vegeterian and I said, no a raw foodist. He was very intersted in it and wanted to know my total even after it was all rang up! So funny!
But, my kids are on a high raw diet and they love all the new foods that I'm making now!
Anyways, good to see other raw fooders here as well!
I have lost weight on being a mostly raw diet and then the beginning of this month started my 30 day raw challenge. In a few months I've lost 26 pounds!
Will found out October 1st if I've lost more!
It's such an exciting journey!

Pam
Old 09-17-2005, 06:40 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

I'm not even vege anymore and don't aspire to raw foods, but enjoyed reading this thread as it's a topic I find interesting. Personally, I think there's a lot of merit in the idea of going raw as much as possible, at least it's worth a try for anyone who needs to tweak their eating or health. I'd have some reservations about some foods being raw but have seen some yummy looking and intriguing recipes here and there.

Mauvisroux, I have a juicer and like it a lot as for awhile in the past I could not eat whole foods and it helped. But with a juicer you don't get the whole fiber and nutrients of the produce, so it's mostly (IMO) a supplement thing ... also it's messy and hard to clean. The juice I've made tastes really good, though!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:55 AM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Thanks for your input Amarantha
Old 09-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

I'm a Raw Food Vegan! Well, I try to be. I've been about 90% raw and felt so good. Right now I'm getting back on the wagon also. I too try not to focus to much on the numbers, but just how good I feel. I'm so glad to see so many people here familiar with this way of eating! I haven't read all the posts yet, I was so excited, I just had to reply. We all have to keep encouraging each other. Also, we need to post any good effects that we are noticing. I'm so excited to meet everyone here! Yaaaay!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

Well, I've just gone back and read the posts, and it seems that PamG and the Alterna chick are the newest ones. PamG if you are reading, I too am registered at Alissa Cohen's site. I love it there. I just got her book and will be starting the 30 day challenge at the beginning of October. Private message me is you like and we can chat about this. Good luck going 100% for 30 days. You can do it!

Alterna Chick....yes, juicing can be very nutritious, but a bit time consuming. I prefer fresh fruit smoothies just whipped up in the blender. They have more fiber and are very easily absorbed by your body. You can PM me also if you ever have any questions about raw and living food!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #15  
Empress/Queen

You are welcome, mavaisroux!
Closed Thread