Old 09-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/225/120

Height: 5'0

Default Why would some people who eat pork and red meat consider themselves, "vegetarian"?

Okay so I know the definition of a flexitarian (the vegetarian who might eat the forbidden meats occassionally), the semi-vegetarian (like myself, who occasionally eats white meat such as chicken and turkey and fish), ovo-lacto, etc. But the first two I mentioned are usually deemed not true vegetarians. Usually by the people who consider themselves ovo-lacto, lacto, ovo, and especially the varieties of veganism. However, compared to the over-red meat and pork indulged "American" and some westernized populaces, we are kind of a vegetarian breed and not like the others. So could we technically argue that there's truly is multiple definitions of a vegetarian based on what the "practiced" diet of a meat-loving populace? Now I've mostly lived in and explored southern and midwestern areas of the US, and to my understanding compared to other parts of my country, there's a lot more emphasis on meat products in those areas I'm familiar with, sometimes even to the point where fruit and vegetables are hated and the people who live off of them hated or feared. I still haven't gone overseas but I know some European countries such as England, Scotland, France, and Germany are very big on meats, fats, and dairies, so pretty much being a vegan (except in major metro cities) must be really frowned upon. Okay sorry for my late night babble but basically, I just wanted to know what could actually be considered a vegetarian diet.

Last edited by PrincessKLS; 09-16-2014 at 11:00 PM.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A vegetarian is someone who eats no animal flesh but may or may not eat animal products (milk, eggs, etc).

And I don't think you could argue that those who still eat animal flesh are vegetarian, they aren't. They just may eat less meat than the standard american diet. In other countries, where people eat meat, they eat a lot less than most people that would even call themselves flexitarians.

In terms of other countries, that necessarily isn't true. Germany has a chain of vegan grocery stores and france has some amazing dairy-free cheeses. There are a lot of great vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Europe as well. England hosts one of the largest vegetarian festivals in the world I believe and seems to have a ton more vegetarian products than the US. And there are a ton of good vegetarian restaurants in the UK (even Scotland). So it isn't really frowned upon as much as you think. And in terms of vegetarianism/veganism, Europe seems to be ahead of the US in a lot of ways but it does vary by region/country.

Anyway, eating chicken, fish, pork, whatever is not vegetarian. Also, this vegetarian subforum forum welcomes anyone to discuss a vegetarian diet but we appreciate that discussions/recipes/recommendations stay vegetarian.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #3  

Okay interesting, so why is meat so major in the US?
Old 09-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure a vegetarian forum is the right place for your question But there are powerful lobbies in the US that artificially deflate prices so that meat is extremely cheap in the US compared to most countries. Instead of subsidizing fruits, vegetables and such, our government subsidizes animal feed and gives other financial assistance to those who raise animals for food.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #5  

On the contrary I think this is the best forum on here to discuss it because here in America it seems like such a major issue that we have to separate vegetarians and vegans so much compared to other countries. So yeah why not debate the meat issue in American culture?