3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/)
-   -   Jumping right in vs. taking your time (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks/289475-jumping-right-vs-taking-your-time.html)

PrincessKLS 11-05-2013 12:52 PM

Jumping right in vs. taking your time

Okay so recently my sister and her husband jumped right into a "plant-strong" glorified vegan diet after watching Forks over Knives and the fact that they were both in really bad health. But anyway, I tried a vegetarian diet befre but I ironically my family didn't support me that much on it and this was back when I had no income whatsoever, and completely dependent on them. I'm on my own now with a limited income but anyway, I considered going vegetarian and eventually maybe vegan but I'm taking it slow and I've heard a recent argument that you are supposed to jump right into it instead of doing a slow progression to the goal. What are you supposed to do?

nelie 11-05-2013 01:42 PM

Do whatever works for you. I made the switch to vegan overnight myself but that was just me. I had meat in the freezer which I cooked for the dogs and gave other food I had away.

And I know many people on limited incomes that are vegan. They focus a lot more on whole foods, trying to find bargains, etc. just be patient with yourself.

Exhale15 11-08-2013 10:50 PM

Yes. Go your own way. However works for you. I've tried a number of times to cut out animal products. Kept reading, trying, looking for inspiration from all different sources. Each go-around makes me better at it. I already cut out cheese, and eat very little meat. Now I'm working on more greens.

Mrs Snark 11-11-2013 02:00 PM

Do whatever works for you, that's what you're supposed to do! :)

VioletDolphin83 11-12-2013 11:02 PM

Definitely do whatever you think is best. Some people find it easy to make the transition over night but I've never been one of them.

Lecomtes 11-17-2013 10:43 PM

I personally am in transition, I only eat meat on Sat. and mostly vegan meals throughout the week. Dinner tonight was vegan meatballs with spaghetti squash and marinara...mmmm!

begoodjen 11-18-2013 08:36 PM

My advice is go veg. After you are used to that, go vegan. It worked for me. Read "Eating Animals" (moral angle) and "The China Study" (nutirition angle) and if you're anything like me it will be easy. I went vegan a year and a half ago and as an admitted cheese lover wouldn't touch it now.

PrincessKLS 11-26-2013 07:24 PM

Thanks but lately I've come down with bronchotis and I haven't been able to eat anything really, I'm on my break (Thanksgiving) but the big meal isn't until Thursday. Tough week for me. I'm also supposed to be checking my blood sugars in an experimental way and haven't been able to do that.

Arwen17 03-06-2014 05:26 PM

Slow and steady wins the race. I never planned to become vegan.
I simply decided I wanted to lose weight and started altering my diet to slowly include more veggies and less processed foods. After several months as I continued to research more about food ingredients, I eventually became truly vegan. But if you had told me at the very start of my journey that I, the cheese-aholic, would one day give up cheese, I would have laughed at you.

noshoes 04-21-2014 01:43 AM

Whatever works. I took two years to transition to veganism after 18 years being vegetarian.

giselley 07-08-2014 09:59 AM

Cheese is the hardest thing to give up. I can easily give up meat, but cheese! That is tough!