Old 02-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Default Low carb, high protein vegan??

Hello, long-time chubby vegan here. My problem foods are carbs, like bread and pasta, and most potato-based and rice-containing foods! I'm slowly lessening the carb and trying to add protein. But aside from soy products and beans, there's not much out there for vegan protein... I found pumpkin seeds, but they're not exactly delicious and have like 670 calories per 100g. @_@; Any suggestions?!
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well everything has protein in it if it isn't processed. Quinoa, amaranth, beans, etc. I'd recommend staying away from processed carbs and look into low GI foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm not a vegan but I have a friend who just became one. She and I are dieting together and she swears by hemp protein powder and green food.

Also, almond butter and tofu smoothies. I even like those.

Last edited by Silverdrmr; 02-12-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/ticker/115

Height: 5'5

How about seitan? It's made from wheat gluten, and you can cut it up and use it in stir-fries.
Celandine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #5  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

The question is how low carb we're talking. If it's bodybuilder-levels of low-carb -- yeah, that's impossible. I'm no vegan these days, as I'm still trying to detox from refined carbs, but my current diet is "as few animal products as possible," which ends up being 3 oz of egg whites or grilled chicken a day, I struggle to meet 25% calories from protein as it is, at ~1250 kcal/day.

But if you're willing to be around 20% protein, you can do it. Definitely look into a mix of beans, whole grains (quinoa and barley are favorites), and 'fake meats' -- I LOVE Boca products for being high in protein, low in calories, and extremely filling.

Most importantly, instead of thinking of your diet as "things I don't eat" -- vegan because you don't eat animal products -- think of it as what you do eat: plants. Fill your plate with high-protein, high-fiber, medium-carb dark veggies like broccoli, spinach, and kale. Complement them with denser foods like squash, chickpeas, and lentils. Fall in love with these foods -- delicious, flavorful whole vegetables -- and you'll remember why you love being vegan.

Last edited by lackadaisy; 02-13-2011 at 08:13 PM.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 146/145.5/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchmallow View Post
Hello, long-time chubby vegan here. My problem foods are carbs, like bread and pasta, and most potato-based and rice-containing foods! I'm slowly lessening the carb and trying to add protein. But aside from soy products and beans, there's not much out there for vegan protein... I found pumpkin seeds, but they're not exactly delicious and have like 670 calories per 100g. @_@; Any suggestions?!
How about seitan ?
You can make yourself . It's easy dan high in protein.
I know your feeling...And for pasta try Dreamfields only 5 gr of carb per portion. PM me if you want seitan recipe
siuingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchmallow View Post
But aside from soy products and beans, there's not much out there for vegan protein...
But that's not just two foods, that's two types of food, meaning tons of possibility. Silken tofu shakes, tofu sushi, tofu stir fry, scrambled tofu, Thai-style tofu curry, barbequed tempeh, tempeh sandwiches, etc etc. Beans- vegan chili, lentil soup, Mexican-style black beans or low-fat homemade refried beans, Indian-style daal (lentils), or channa masala, hummus.... the list goes on!

There are a TON of things you can do with these two types of foods. I'm not vegan but when I was briefly my protein definitely centered a lot around beans and soy. With a little creativity you can use these extensively for a lot of varied tasty meals

That said, to answer your question about other sources of protein- definitely peanut butter, nuts of all sorts and cooked in all ways, and coconut milk were three that I used to use a lot during my vegan meals.

Failed to mention that I've been vegetarian for 11 years and this is based off my own experience creating meals focusing on soy and beans, not just an assumption about it. (Just had to add a little credibility to my post )

EDIT: Sorry, I realize you are looking for low carb options and beans are not that! Scratch that advice

Last edited by indiblue; 03-02-2011 at 07:25 AM.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 146/145.5/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiblue View Post
But that's not just two foods, that's two types of food, meaning tons of possibility. Silken tofu shakes, tofu sushi, tofu stir fry, scrambled tofu, Thai-style tofu curry, barbequed tempeh, tempeh sandwiches, etc etc. Beans- vegan chili, lentil soup, Mexican-style black beans or low-fat homemade refried beans, Indian-style daal (lentils), or channa masala, hummus.... the list goes on!

There are a TON of things you can do with these two types of foods. I'm not vegan but when I was briefly my protein definitely centered a lot around beans and soy. With a little creativity you can use these extensively for a lot of varied tasty meals

That said, to answer your question about other sources of protein- definitely peanut butter, nuts of all sorts and cooked in all ways, and coconut milk were three that I used to use a lot during my vegan meals.
Indiblue...
You're right as a vegan or vegetarian we have tons of protein.
For me..I just try to cook every day and make healthy meal..I mean less sugar, a bit low card and trying not to fry my food ( my bad is love, love, love fried food..I can make delicious fried food..... sigh )
siuingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #9  

Height: 1.67m

I don't find getting protein all that difficult as a vegan - if I may make a small suggestion it would be to focus less on the protein part, and more on trying to limit your refined carbohydrates. No matter what type of diet I would have I know that I become the famished beast of nom if I eat too much potato and pasta.
timkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I followed a semi-low carb diet as a vegetarian years ago. In addition to my veggie-centric meals, I would mainly supplement with tofu, seitan, quorn, and boca products. It was difficult in the long term, but only because I like to eat at least a moderate amount of carbs.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 258/238/135

Height: 5'6"

i follow a low carb vegan diet (now that i know what white carbs do to me). i eat brown rice w/ whole grains on occaision, and alot of sprouted grain products (google sprouted grain bread, the company is called food for life). (for bread and pasta). Some days i eat no white flour. i don't think there are anything wrong with whole grain carbs. i don't get bingey or feel myself reacting after i eat them. -fm
foodmasochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #12  
chubby punk

S/C/G: tick..tick...boom

Height: 5'5"

Marchmallow, I think its easier to try something like South Beach than something like Atkins as a vegetarian.
LaurenBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #13  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

You might want to check out two vegan atheletes who have written recent nutrition/diet/healthy lifestyle books.

Brendan Brazier - world class runner/triathlete and the inventor of Vega (vegan soy free protein powder made from hemp/pea/brown rice protein). he recently wrote a book called, "The Thrive Diet"

http://www.brendanbrazier.com/

Robert Cheeke - Veganbodybuilder who runs www.veganbodybuilding.com and just wrote a book about the subject. On his forum he posts many of his daily meal plans with calories/grams of protein. He makes it seem pretty easy to get protein as a competitive vegan body builder.

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuil...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/149.5/140

Height: 5'6''

I've considered doing the high protein/low carb thing as a vegan, but it just seems too hard to do!

If the carbs that you eat are whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits, there shouldn't be a problem. It's the processed and simple carbs that'll get you!
NewGirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #15  

Height: 5'3"

What about nuts and seeds?
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote