Appetite for Reduction - new low calorie cookbook

• http://www.amazon.com/Appetite-Reduc...dp/1600940498/

So I've mentioned it before I think where I was a tester for this cookbook and I just received my copy yesterday. I've cooked approximately 50 recipes out of the total 125 recipes in the book. I've cooked them for my husband as well as my in laws and overall the recipes were quite tasty. I even made 1 of the recipes for some of the 3FC mods and it was well received. There were probably 2 recipes that I didn't care for but many others were outstanding.

If you are vegetarian or just want to eat more plant based meals, I'd highly recommend it. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

For non-US users, the book does include information on metric conversions and there is also a section talking about nutrition. There was a nutritionist that helped with the nutrition aspects of the book and he is credited in the back of the book. Nutrition information is also shown for each recipe.

I figure I'll also list some of my favorite recipes.

Sanctuary dressing (ranch style dressing - really good)
    Quinoa salad with black beans & toasted cumin seeds
    Cool slaw (like cole slaw)
    Caesar Salad with eggplant bacon
    Vietnamese Rice noodle salad with grilled tofu
    Caulipots (Mashed potatoes with cauliflower - more of a traditional mashed potato taste but cutting the calories with cauliflower. I made these for Thanksgiving last year)
    Silky Chickpea Gravy (also made this for Thanksgiving last year)
    Polenta stuffing
    Cranberry-Cashew Biryani
    Scarlet Barley
    Unfried fried rice
    Butternut Coconut Rice
    Tamarind Quinoa
    Garlicky Mushrooms and Kale
    Chickpea Piccata
    Hottie Black eyed peas and greens
    Forty Clove Chickpeas and Broccoli
    Caribbean Curried Black-eyed peas with plantains
    Black bean, zucchini and olive tacos (this is probably one of my most favorite recipes ever)
    Basic baked tofu
    Apple-miso tofu (another all time favorite)
    Lettuce wraps with Hoison-mustard tofu (this is the recipe that taught me how to cook tofu)
    Red Thai Tofu
    Red Wine & Kalamata Tempeh
    Buffalo Tempeh
    Tortilla Soup
    Arabian Lentil & Rice soup
    Peruvian purple potato soup
    Curried Chickpeas & Greens
    Potato Spinach Curry
    Portabello Pepper Steak Stew
    Veggie Potpie Stew
    Sweet Potato Drop Biscuits
  • Thanks for the tip. Just browsing the "search inside" feature on amazon.com has put this book at the top of my amazon wish list.

The recipes (that were in the excerpts) looked so good I experienced severe cookbook envy. I collect coobooks, and have been trying to limit new purchases to books that also list the diabetic exchanges (since I'm following an exchange plan), but for this book I'll make an exception (and I find it's not too difficult to translate recipes into exchanges, especially when they're whole-food recipes).

I'm not vegan, nor am I trying to reduce animal foods, I just want this cookbook because the recipes sound so good.
  • Yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is there are no 'diet' products used in the book. I'd say most ingredients can be found at your local supermarket. Some things (tempeh, yuca, plaintain) may require a trip to some place like Trader Joe's, local asian/latin markets or a place like Whole Foods. She has one recipe that calls for chantrelles BUT she provides an alternate ingredient. Also may of her recipes are mix and match, so omitting or increasing an ingredient doesn't hurt the recipe.
  • These all sound amazing!
  • That sounds awesome - I'm buying it right now!!!!
    Can you say which recipes you didn't care for, or is that against the tester's code?

Yeay for healthy vegan recipes!!!!
  • There were two recipes that I really didn't care for, I didn't hate them but really just weren't my thing.

The lasagna and there was a kasha recipe that I didn't care for. Both of those I think got mixed reviews, some testers loved them, others didn't. The apple-miso tofu recipe also got some mixed reviews but I personally loved it.
  • Thanks!! I think that I'll try the sushi roll edamame salad tonight!