Old 07-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #1  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

Height: 5'6"

Default staying with friends/family

So I just have a quick question for vegetarians and probably even more so vegans. I have always been a vegetarian, but in the last few weeks- eggs/dairy have been really grossing me out so I've been leading a vegan diet. I am staying with a friend and her bf next week that don't know about my eating. Should I say something to the effect of, "btw, I don't eat dairy either now." I feel so weird saying it! I don't want them to feel like I'm expecting them to have a nice vegan spread prepared for me, I would be happy to bring all my own food, I just don't want them to buy food ahead of time and then I show up and am like, "oh, i don't eat that" Do you guys know what I mean?! This is why I sometimes hate traveling out of town! It messes up my eating, but I'm trying to not let that hold me back ever again! What would you do?

Last edited by dragonfly21; 07-02-2010 at 01:02 AM.
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I feel your pain.

A good friend of mine, who is neither a vegan or vegetarian, simply hates the taste of all cheeses. She sort of snarls her nose and says "Its SO stinky".

This is actually an excellent, effective way to avoid dairy - no one ever offers her anything with dairy. If you don't feel comfortable talking about your eating in detail.

Or you could say you are happiest on the vegan diet, because it allows you to easily maintain your healthy weight. It gives you peace of mind and more energy.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

As someone who hosts people pretty regularly (I'm not a vegetarian, but friends are), my life is so much easier if people tell me what their restrictions are before they come.

If you're emailing or calling to confirm details, I'd say something like "Hey, I'd love to stop at a grocery store on the way in and pick up some things for me to eat...I don't eat dairy any longer, and want to make sure you guys don't make a special trip on my account. Can I pick anything up for you?"
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I'm with Amanda, let them know you'll be bringing food of your own and that you don't want them to go out of their way to buy anything.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

In my experience, friends are a lot more understanding than family. So, count yourself lucky there. I also appreciate it when people tell me things ahead of time when I host them - food allergies, preferences, etc. I'd rather serve something they like than something they don't.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #6  
vegetarian always :)

S/C/G: 168/150.5/135

thanks for your input everyone. i think im going to bake some cookies (chocolate chocolate chip walnut cookies from veganomicon-MMMM) so I was talking to this friend of mine, who I'm visiting, and I mentioned, "oh I'm going to make these really good vegan cookies." She then (thankfully) asked, wait are you vegan now!! She seemed a little suprised, but after I assured her it's not impossible to eat no meat/no dairy, I suggested we could go grocery shopping when I get there so she doesn't need to worry about what I'm going to eat. crises averted.
dragonfly21 is offline   Reply With Quote