Old 04-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Default raising kids vegan/vegetarian

For those of you raising your kids vegan/vegetarian, how do you approach what your child(ren) eat at school? You can pack lunches of course, but what is the guaruntee that they don't consume things that aren't so good for them?
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #2  
this space for rent

S/C/G: 274/274/140

Height: 5'8"

It depends on the age of your child. when they are small, you have all the control over what they can eat (though they may not like all of their options). If you just go for it and treat it as an everyday occurence rather than doing something special, your kid(s) will just roll with it. When they're very young and the school is passing out snacks, have the administration let you know in advance so you can give them your child's vegan treat. Also take a school menu whenever they are issued and make lunches that match. if it's pizza day (and because you'll know in advance) make your child a vegan pizza; veggie burger on hamburger day. That way they will be eating what their schoolmates eat. Explain if they ask you we they can't eat meat. as they get older, they will be very accustomed to eating that way. You may have to suppliment b-12, though. I know folks who have who have vegan children.
eroica27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #3  
Goodbye Taco bell

S/C/G: 175/158/135

Height: 5'5"

I have a totally different view on this....I have been a vegetarian my whole life simply because I did not like meat....My foster parents tried relentlessly to get me to eat meat and not completly wipe it from my options......after 5 years of trying (age 10 to 15) they gave up.....

That being said....I agree that it is very benificial to have a vegetarian/ vegan lifestyle but the fact still remains as your children grow they may not have the same views that you do or they may just really like meat.....

My best advice is not to just force them to your ways but to also explain why you chose to not eat certain foods and not to have your child fear that you will get mad if they choose to try or eat those foods that you are banning.

Most children who grow up in a vegan home though will not have those temptations it will simply just be a way of life to them.
Airforcechick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 346/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2

A lot of people say I am depriving my chikd of finding his own likes, dislikes, and tastes.

But I am vegetarian for many reasons, one of which being I do not like eating something that once had a face that lived, breathed, and moved.

I will just continue to raise my son vegetarian, and then, when old enough, he can explore if he is tempted. Though as the last poster said. He probably won't have those temptations since being a vegetarian is a way of life for him.

My son is just starting school this upcoming school year. So I'm looking for answers to this as well.
alyssarof2012 is offline   Reply With Quote