Old 08-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default High protein foods?

Where do you get your protein? ok so I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian however I hate red meat, nor do I eat chicken. The only meats I eat are turkey,fish foods (like tuna) and occasionally eggs.
Here is the thing. I have classes 3 days a week and can either eat in the cafeteria which doesn't have any food I like or can have. They have pizza, fries, onion rings ect and their salads are weighed and very expensive. I could have a turkey lunch meat sandwich but that gets boring after a while and barely has any protein and a ton of filler and sodium I assume?
So I decided this semester to bring a peanut butter sandwich...it has some protein, right? I was wondering what other types of foods that I might like that have alot of protein in them and would keep for 2 hours until I have lunch.
oh and I don't like cottage cheese, I tried that before and I don't like it very much...
any other suggestions?
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Well, protein is almost in everything you eat. Even fruit has protein in it. Honestly, getting your protein really shouldn't be a concern unless you are eating a lot of processed foods.

I bring a lunch to work every day and various foods keep very well, especially with an ice pack.

Wraps or sandwiches are a pretty good option. I'd recommend looking at hummus for including as a spread on your sandwiches. You can make it fairly easily or buy it. Other ingredients I like for a sandwich are sprouts, avocado, cucumbers, tomatoes and lettuce.

Bean and grain salads are really good. You can mix all sorts of grains and beans together with various veggies, spices and what not. Here is an example of such a salad:
http://www.katu.com/amnw/recipes/41748467.html

Also something like an apple with some almonds is a good snack. A tortilla filled with banana and any nut butter is also a good quick breakfast.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:13 PM   #3  

Thanks. I have never tried hummus before but I have heard of it. I am not even sure where it is in the store though...
I do eat some processed foods like yogurt and fiber one, but I try to keep that to a few things a day. Even when I was tracking salads I made I was not getting enough protein for one meal (I had turkey lunch meat, romain lettuce, green peppers and some cucmber slices) I would carry mixed nuts with me because although they were high in calories they gave me some protein...
Old 08-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #4  
Just Me

Well it depends what 'enough' protein is. What is your protein goal per day? I usually get somewhere between 70-100 g protein/day following a vegan diet.

Hummus is generally in the refrigerated section and it depends on the store where it might be located. Sometimes it is near the cheeses or near the deli somehow.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #5  

My protein goal (according to sparkpeople) is 60 - 152
Today I was at 83 so I am in there, but yesterday I was at 60 so I just made it! I also had classes yesterday...when I don't have classes I make a tuna sandwich for lunch at home
Old 08-27-2009, 05:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Nelie - that's A LOT of protein for a vegan diet! Do you eat a lot of soy?
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #7  
Just Me

Well I'd say that 150 is really on the high end although 60 doesn't sound bad. That is 20% of a 1200 calorie diet which seems right on target.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 PM   #8  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by festivus View Post
Nelie - that's A LOT of protein for a vegan diet! Do you eat a lot of soy?
No. I also haven't counted in a while so I may be going from old numbers. A lot of my protein is beans, whole grains, veggies, etc.

I should do another calorie count day just to see where I'm at now.