Old 07-17-2009, 11:56 PM   #1  

Default Questions Those Who Eat Raw!

I'm starting eating raw (and vegan), it just seems like the natural place to go next. I do however have a few questions:

1) What resources (books/blogs/ect) do you find are amazing or must reads?

2) Any tips for me?

3) What appliances do I need to get started?

4) Whats your favorite "side effect" that eating raw has had on your body?

I think thats it, if you have anything I'm missing that I should be asking feel free to note the question and perhaps the answer!!
intotheraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #2  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

I have been attempting raw vegan for about a month now, with some ups and downs and outright failures too

I would say for online resources I like rawfoodtalk.com, rawfoodsupport.com, and I also read kimberlysnyder.net for inspiration. It is all subjective though, everyone seems to know what is right for them, and some know what is right for everyone 80/10/10 is a very informative book but I can't say that I'm ready to go that strict yet. Most of the 'cookbooks' I've bought are mostly gourmet foods, I don't use them much as I try to just eat more simply. There are so many recipes online too that I don't think you need to get any cookbooks unless you want the special stuff.

I think the only appliance you really need is a great blender, our old one broke so we just got a Blendtec and it works great. I got a dehydrator too but haven't used it a ton, and a lot of people don't even use one apparently. I also love sprouts so I have sprouting trays that I use alot.

I just feel great when I do it, most of the time. It has also come with a lot of tiredness for me, nothing a short nap during the day won't fix though! I feel lighter and don't get headaches or congestion anymore, like I did when I was eating dairy. I also feel like I perform better in my physical activities. Running is a little easier and I don't tire out as quickly as I used to.

My biggest tip is just to eat a lot! It helps me to eat a ton of fruit, along with one or two big green smoothies, and a pretty huge salad each day. I try not to do a lot of fats as well but I don't think it is probably that important when just starting out, and I have days where I can't get enough fat too.

Good luck!

Lauren
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #3  

Thanks so much Lauren! I'm starting my raw journey hopefully on the first on next month (to allow myself a week or so to recieve the resources I ordered and the kitchen tools I'm missing!). The links you posted are awesome.
intotheraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #4  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

You are welcome and again, good luck!
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote