Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 PM   #1  
WW Moderator

Default Favorite vegan substitutes

Ok, I'm thinking of doing the vegan thing again. Tell me what you you eat that satisfies your craving for what you miss the most. I love, love, love yogurt. That's going to be a tough one, because the very little experience I have with soy yogurt has not been tasty!

What's your favorite vegan yogurt, cheese, and milk substitute?
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Yogurt - I'd say wildwood soy yogurt is my favorite. It is plain and you can add berries or whatever else you want to it.

Cheese - Now this is hard and determines your intention. If you want a quesadilla, hands down daiya is it but it is limited right now. If you want something to go with crackers and 'aged', Dr Cow is great but expensive. I've heard good things about sheese and cheezly. Having said that, a lot of people enjoy avocado in place of where you would eat cheese as it provides similar qualities.

Milk substitute - I like almond milk but I kind of mix it up. Coconut milk (from So delicious) is the closest thing I've ever had to regular milk.

Last edited by nelie; 08-05-2009 at 11:05 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #3  
WW Moderator

Oh, Daiya looks good! I don't think I've even seen it around here. Did you by chance have any in Asheville? Surely I can find it there. I've been doing almond milk, but there's something missing. I'll try the coconut milk!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #4  

I use rice milk for everything.

My health food stores have a limited choice of "cheese" products, but the best out of the bunch are the Follow Your Heart cheeses. The mozzarella is the best in my opinion. I make most of my cheeses from the Joanne Stepaniak cookbooks. I also like to use avocado for sandwiches.

I'm not a big fan of yogurt, but I've tried the Silk brand a few times and it's pretty good.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #5  
Just Me

I would also say that Vegetarian Times had an article a couple months ago about making your own cheese and I've made my own ricotta, pesto, parmesean, 'cheeze' sauce, mac n 'cheeze', etc from various recipes but I haven't seen a good recipe to make your own melty melty cheddar type cheese.

Daiya distribution is fairly limited right now but I know they are going to expand (hopefully). So I don't think Asheville has it yet.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I would also say that Vegetarian Times had an article a couple months ago about making your own cheese .
I saved that article I really want to try that, as I haven't developed a taste for nutritional yeast.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:52 PM   #7  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

I think it's Pangea that has Daiya online and available for shipping?

I really like Trader Joe's soy yogurt if you have that available?

Julie - About a year and a half in and I'm just now starting to actually like nutritional yeast and not just tolerate it for some vitamins .
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #8  

Oh and YEEEEAAA!!!!! to Jennifer for going vegan!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #9  
Just Me

Pangea is where I buy Daiya locally but yeah you can order it online as well but I have never ordered anything perishable online.

Personally, I only like plain yogurt and I think Trader Joe's is flavored?

Coconut milk yogurt is pretty good too but I also only buy the big tubs of yogurt and I've only seen coconut milk yogurt in the small containers.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #10  
Orijanal

S/C/G: 208/182/154

Height: 5' 1''

I love Alpro soya yoghurt, not sure if you can get it though as I am in England
Orijanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #11  

On another forum several people have ordered perishables from Pangea with no problems, with and w/o the insulated packs. Me, I'm too cheap .

The TJs I live near only has strawberry and peach stocked normally. I don't like plain so it works out for me! When I do need plain for a recipe I normally get the coconut milk.

I love how the UK calls it soya . We need to do that here!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #12  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

The plain soy yogurt is good and cheap and you can dress it up with fresh fruit, fruit juices or pulp.
My favorite is watermelon flavoured. My mom likes teh nutmeg cinammon with baked apple.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:06 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 245/219/160

Height: 5'9

the only yogurt i have available here is silk and some other brand but the silk is so much better! i havent tried the trader joes brand but i like the silk brand, and vitasoy plain is really good for soymilk, i like it better then 8 continent and silk. i cant find plain soymilk here where do you get it borntobefine?????? id love to have it i love indian food and that is the main staple! lol. the tofutti ice cream, cream cheese, and sour cream is really great...not that you need to be eating it but every once and a blue moon right, trader joes or a health food store will probably have the best foods for you to eat i mean meat substitute wise, they have a lot more flavors to choose from then traditional grocery stores. well good luck and i hope it happens!!! also there is a site i seen on here its foodfightergrocery. try that it can ship to you! how nice is that!
MrsVegan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #14  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Such a cool thing to try, making dairy-free "cheese"!

I found this online:
http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10953?section= (I didn't find any other VT recipes available to non-subscribers)

Really interesting to try... if anyone makes this, please post about it
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:38 AM   #15  

I'm intrigued by making dairy free cheese now that I saw that recipe, since it's got pine nuts in it. But I've made a pine nut "cream" sauce for soup that was wonderful, and the only mac & cheese I eat now is VegNews' cashew and veg sauce.

Have any of you made any of the cheese yet?
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote