3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/)
-   -   Vegan Snacks (low-calorie, besides fruits and veggies)?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks/166813-vegan-snacks-low-calorie-besides-fruits-veggies.html)

notasthinasithought 03-14-2009 01:10 AM

Vegan Snacks (low-calorie, besides fruits and veggies)??

Any suggestions for healthy, low-cal vegan snacks? Thanks!!:carrot:

tammay 03-19-2009 05:50 PM

I'm a grain freak (whole grains only), so I like to munch on dry cereal. It sounds weird, but I love spoon-sized shredded wheat (the unfrosted kind, obviously). I like the toasted wheat flavor and the crunchiness. I also love plain salt-free brown rice cakes spread with all-fruit preserves. This has been my replacement for dark chocolate this past month and I like it a lot. Sometimes I use organic apple butter if I'm in an apple mood :D.

Tam

nelie 03-19-2009 07:32 PM

I missed this before...

Veggies
Carrots, sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes

Fruit (all)

Salads
Cucumber and tomato salad
Coleslaw

homemade hummus and veggies

rdw1 03-19-2009 11:12 PM

I love hummus with triscuits and veggies :)

nakedmango 03-22-2009 09:57 PM

Apple and peanut butter (careful about portioning the peanut butter)

Crusty bread and olive oil/balsamic vinegar (careful about portioning the oil)

Veggies and roasted red pepper spread or baba ghanouj

Olives and pita

Roasted soy nuts (bought some at the grocery store yesterday--they were half the price of walnuts, fewer calories and almost twice the protein per serving. And YUM!)

Bean burger patty with mustard

Flatbread and cooked mushrooms or canned artichokes or sun-dried tomatoes

Marinated and broiled tofu (careful about portion size, and use a low-cal marinade)

Small toasted tortilla with salsa (or mango salsa, or salsa verde)

Flatbread with veg "paté" (I bought some at a health food store--it's delicious, cheap and super low cal!)

Vegan dumplings (I can get them cheap at my grocery store, which has a pretty good Asian food selection, and 5 dumplings, boiled or steamed, are 130 calories. And I get to use chopsticks too, which makes everything taste better!)

Baby spinach with vinaigrette (careful about portion size on the vinagrette)

...I'll ponder some more and re-post if I think of more snacks. :D

kelly315 03-22-2009 10:08 PM

I love dry cereal and popcorn, which I'm sure you can find vegan versions of both.

jillnicole03 03-27-2009 11:32 AM

It is a veggie but Edamamae... it's so quick and easy, and freaking delicious!!
I buy a bag of frozen edamame, put it in a plastic bowl with lid, a little water andput it in the microwave for 3 minutes... when it's done I put on sea salt or sweet chile sauce (found in asian aisle) and you pop the little bean thingys out of the shell... sooo yummy.. my fav snack!

JulieJ08 03-27-2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillnicole03 (Post 2672709)
It is a veggie but Edamamae... it's so quick and easy, and freaking delicious!!
I buy a bag of frozen edamame, put it in a plastic bowl with lid, a little water andput it in the microwave for 3 minutes... when it's done I put on sea salt or sweet chile sauce (found in asian aisle) and you pop the little bean thingys out of the shell... sooo yummy.. my fav snack!

OK, I'm going to reveal my ignorance, obviously I haven't actually tried this yet, but I have seen this "recipe" over and over: but what is the point of salting the pods, and then popping the beans out of the pod? Doesn't seem like the part you're actually eating gets salted.

nelie 03-27-2009 01:11 PM

Julie, from what I've seen, you generally boil the pods in salted water although many bags I've seen are precooked/salted already. Trader Joe's sell them frozen, slightly boiled although in the asian market they can go either way.

rdw1 03-30-2009 08:02 PM

I recently bought salted ones from TJ's and they seemed slimey to me? I like to buy the kind you can steam in the bag(without salt) then salt them myself.... Most of the time you pop them out of the pod with your mouth so you still taste the salt/seasoning you put on them! I love mine with tamari and hot chili sauce!(sriracha)

blackbutterfly 03-30-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedmango (Post 2665689)
Apple and peanut butter (careful about portioning the peanut butter)

Crusty bread and olive oil/balsamic vinegar (careful about portioning the oil)

Veggies and roasted red pepper spread or baba ghanouj

Olives and pita

Roasted soy nuts (bought some at the grocery store yesterday--they were half the price of walnuts, fewer calories and almost twice the protein per serving. And YUM!)

Bean burger patty with mustard

Flatbread and cooked mushrooms or canned artichokes or sun-dried tomatoes

Marinated and broiled tofu (careful about portion size, and use a low-cal marinade)

Small toasted tortilla with salsa (or mango salsa, or salsa verde)

Flatbread with veg "paté" (I bought some at a health food store--it's delicious, cheap and super low cal!)

Vegan dumplings (I can get them cheap at my grocery store, which has a pretty good Asian food selection, and 5 dumplings, boiled or steamed, are 130 calories. And I get to use chopsticks too, which makes everything taste better!)

Baby spinach with vinaigrette (careful about portion size on the vinagrette)

...I'll ponder some more and re-post if I think of more snacks. :D

what grocery store do you get those vegan dumplings from? that sounds yummeh;)

idrinkcoffee 03-30-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieJ08 (Post 2672764)
OK, I'm going to reveal my ignorance, obviously I haven't actually tried this yet, but I have seen this "recipe" over and over: but what is the point of salting the pods, and then popping the beans out of the pod? Doesn't seem like the part you're actually eating gets salted.

Most people eat them right out of the pod. You put the pod in your mouth and suck the beans out. You suck the salt and whatever flavorings are on the pod (like garlic sauce, yum). If you unshell them and put the beans in a bowl, then you would salt the beans directly. Part of the fun of edamame is sucking the beans out of the pod. Plus, you end up eating a lot fewer beans (there's usually 3 or 4 per pod) than if you ate them by the spoonful! And you don't need any utensils!

Edamame is so easy to make, too! I usually buy them frozen and then boil them in water.

nakedmango 04-01-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbutterfly (Post 2677579)
what grocery store do you get those vegan dumplings from? that sounds yummeh;)

The Real Canadian Superstore, up the street from me. It's my usual grocery store, but it's one of only 3 or 4 in the city. It's a pretty big store. It has a great health food section, which is partly why I like to go there. It has 5 kinds of dumplings, maybe, and I'm sure the vegan ones are only accidently vegan. But they are yummy, and 5 of them are quite satisfying. :carrot:

Tacklenurse 04-03-2009 04:06 PM

I like Edamamae also. I put them in a bowl in the microwave and when they come out I sprinkle Soy Sauce on them instead of salt. I stir them up and then eat them right out of the pods. Very good and tasty.

FatGirlTale 07-15-2009 10:29 PM

Popcorn or baked chickpeas.

Hummus and pita.