Old 01-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #1  

Default Eat to Live?

HI all

Was avegetarian for a year and then stopped. Starting up again as I feel better. (Did eat dairy products).

Has anyone tried the Eat to Live Program by Joel Furhman? I will start this week once everything is in the house. Even have my husband joining me. (This will be interesting
momsings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I started back in October and I lost about 33 lbs on it in 2 months. I went on vacation and eating went a bit haywire. I'm starting again though because I really do like it and it is pretty easy to follow.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:22 AM   #3  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

It works.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #4  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

Just ordered the book on amazon, looking forward to getting it!
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

I did it last year for a few weeks and enjoyed it (can't say how much I lost because I wasn't weighing myself) but then stress hit and I veered off a vegan diet entirely (and paid the price with a 20 pound weight gain ). I recently started back up (about 10 days ago) but I'm doing a slightly modified version. I just can't buy the whole "all fat is evil" philosophy (although Fuhrman seems to be better than McDougall and Neal Barnard on that score - he seems more interested in getting people to eat the natural fat rather than the added fat - i.e., the olive rather than the olive oil). I just never went in for the ultra low fat diet and it's never worked for me. I'm very active, so I figure adding a few tsps of olive oil is not going to affect my health too much.

So far I'm doing very well. I've lost weight, although I can't say how much. I get obsessed with numbers too much so right now I'm just going by how my jeans fit and how I feel, as that's ultimately more important to me than a number on a scale. My jeans are fitting much better so I know I've lost something.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammay View Post
I I recently started back up (about 10 days ago) but I'm doing a slightly modified version.
I bought the book late last year and I really love a lot of his principles, but I'm also doing a somewhat modified version. I'm also doing the low fat thing, I already was vegetarian but I've cut out 97% of dairy and eggs. I don't sweat a tiny amount here or there, and I still use a little honey, and a tiny bit of olive oil. Oh, and the salt thing? I don't eat much salt to begin with, nearly never use convenience foods, but I still use a little salt.

For me really, it's been about making vegetables and fruit the focus of my every day eating, instead of carbs and cheese. I FEEL healthier, and really, it's not nearly as hard as I thought it might be. I pull most of my recipes from the Fat Free Vegan website, which has been a huge help.

I'm not sure how much I've lost since the 2nd, and I'm trying not to weigh myself, on top of the period bloat I have right now, but it's about 4 lbs in 2 weeks, which I'm very happy with.

Honestly, the very best thing for me is that I do not have to count calories.
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 08:35 AM   #7  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

The Eat to Live book really changed my life. I know that sounds dramatic but Im serious.

I adapted alot of the principles in the book, with basically eating as clean as I can and 100% meat free with about 80% dairy free. I suffered from anxiety very badly and its gone completely, PMS is non exsistant, weight just comes off, and definition is prominent. I just love it. I did hit a stressful bump the last 2 weeks.. started a new job, living in a extended stay hotel until I can find a place to live.. and yes.. yes.. I have called on my good buddy chocolate quiet a bit, but Ive snapped out of it.. and Im back on my little journey. But seriously. I love this book... and if I ever meet Dr. Joel Im gonna hug his little neck
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

Ready2Shed, I don't think you're being too dramatic . E2L has changed my life as well. I am now about 3 1/2 weeks binge free, which seems incredible to me considering six months before that I was binging regularly at least 2x a week. I'm also eating clean, really enjoying myself, and feel energetic and focused. I'm also prone to anxiety and I noticed that that has decreased a lot as well.

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:47 PM   #9  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Ok, ladies! I ordered it! Just wanted to see what the fuss was about

Actually, I've been curious for a while. I like trying new things and trying the raw diet spurred my weightloss and changed my life, frankly. I also recently completed Omnivore's Dilemma and the China Study, so, I think it's time
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #10  

Wow - because of this site I'm going to pick up Eat to Live AND the China Study which appears to be just as important!!!!!

I have done the 'raw' thing in the past and hands-down, it was the best I have ever felt but alas, I got lazy.....

Is there a support group for Eat to Live??

Ray xo
Ray of Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:09 PM   #11  
Determined

S/C/G: 188/ticker/120

Height: 5'4.5"

Because I love vegetables I thought that it would be easy for me, but I wasn't able to go without some things for more than 3 weeks. I found strict veganism to be hard and was craving some grated cheddar or fork mashed hardboiled eggs on top of one of my manymany salads. I also craved semolina pasta over the whole wheat stuff.

I've struck upon a blend of the Eat to Live way and ovo-lacto vegetarianism. My weight loss has decreased but persisted so I'm happy. I now seem to be able to go 5 or so days at a time strictly vegan, but I don't beat myself up when I lapse.

Good luck, the way he explains the benefits are hard to argue with.

Last edited by BabySteps21; 02-04-2008 at 08:12 PM.
BabySteps21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:48 PM   #12  

I agree with Forever42. The book really helped me to focus on eating veggies, fruits, and beans as the base for my diet.

Overall, the plan absolutely does help you lose weight rather quickly and get the junk out of your diet. I started it last summer while I was doing the couch to 5K program, and I was shedding pounds like crazy. My approach now is about 85% of the time I use his approach. But around my TOM I still crave meat and will allow myself some dairy on occasions. It can be a shock to the system, but most everything he said makes sense. The only thing I didn't really like were the weight ranges he gave, I just don't think they're the same for everyone.
lola06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #13  

I signed up on the Live to Eat site - wow it's really solid and everyone has got a strong focus on the same thing.

I love it. Best thing I tumbled on in a long time. I love that you eat 3 meals a day only.

Ray

Ray
Old 02-06-2008, 03:54 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never joined the website because I thought it was expensive but if it works for you, I say go for it!

I actually never ate 3 meals per day, I need to eat snacks and such.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #15  

Nelie,

Yes the Doctor speaks about why a person needs to eat 5/6 times a day and what "true hunger" as he calls it really is. It's not a skip-in-the-park kinda program but it just reeks with health and vitality and I guess it all bends back to that old question "how bad do you want it." I know I have landed in the right spot.

You are right. It is expensive but I figure it balances itself out with not paying such hefty $$$$ in binge food and junk.

Ray xo