What do you put in your salads?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Im trying to renew my love of salads, but I always eat the same old thing (which is quite good but getting a little boring). I usually have (about 4 or 5 times a week) a mixed/tossed green salad with different chopped veggies, avocodo, chick peas, and a balsamic vinigrette.
    Anyone do anything extra interesting to mix up the boring salad?
    Im having a hard time wanting my boring one anymore.
  • Button Mushrooms
    Slice a couple of white button mushrooms for a nice flavor.
  • Try adding fruit. I personally don't like the combination of fruit and vegetables but a lot of people do. Basalmic is a great dressing for veggies and/or fruit so maybe a dressing including that would be nice.
  • I love this home made dressing

olive oil
    lemon
    fresh smooshed garlic
    salt

All to taste. It's so delicious and goes with any veggie salad.
  • Tomato
    Kalamata olives
    Different varieties of lettuce
    Avocado
    Low fat balsamic dressing
  • ^^ hehe erinmagill just realised that is almost EXACTLY the salad you said was boring I would suggest adding olives and feta, but they're not exactly weight loss godsends (delicious though!)
  • I usually make two types of salad: one has lettuce, shredded carrot, cherry tomatoes, almonds, and light italian dressing

The other is more of a taco salad: lettuce, black beans, sometimes corn, sometimes cheese, salsa, avocado, sometimes even refried beans, and then crumbled tortilla chips (go light on them, those things are lethal!)
  • Thanks guys! There are some good ideas here!
  • I love salads! I keep the following toppings around and mix and match as my mood dictates:

romaine
    spinach
    chard
    broccoli
    soyfeta (it's very surprisingly like the real stuff but way lower calorie)
    facon bacon
    sunflower seeds
    pumpkin seeds
    bacos (vegan! whoda thunk)
    carrots
    onion
    tomato
    avocado
    green peas
    edamame
    chick peas
    shrooms
    corn
    avocado
    grapes
    pomegrante
    olive oil and vinegar for dressing
  • I wouldnt have thought of putting corn in a salad...Sounds good!
  • mmm i love edamame on salads! and avocado! you wrote that one twice... is that just cos it's soooooo good? =)

i also really like baby spinach with walnuts and dried cranberries.

there was also a salad my mom made with candied pecans and pears - also w/ blue cheese, but you can skip that if you're vegan or just don't like it.
  • he he or because I'd really like an avocado right now??!!

mmm nuts - how did I forget nuts on salads? yum!
  • Quote: ^^ hehe erinmagill just realised that is almost EXACTLY the salad you said was boring I would suggest adding olives and feta, but they're not exactly weight loss godsends (delicious though!)
    Olives are great for dieting, IMO. Strong flavor so you don't need a ton, but a serving of, say, 5 olives might be around 20 calories (depends on size).
  • I'm not a vegetarian, but you ladies have given me so many ideas to spruce up my boring daily salad I just had to share....

A lady from work brought in the best salad for a potluck, I had to get the recipe, I took it to my ma's for Thanksgiving and got rave reviews from my very meat and potatoes family.

Romaine, crasins, cashews, one apple, one pear, and mozzarella (which you could sub) the dressing was lemon juice, veg oil, sugar, poppy seeds. It was the best salad I've ever had...even better than at an restaurant.
  • I love avocado in my salads, also beans!! Garbanzo beans and kidney beans are great as well as black beans. You can even put in some baked tofu if you like.