3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks-121/)
-   -   What "diet" do you follow? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/vegetarian-chicks/156017-what-diet-do-you-follow.html)

x Yael x 11-10-2008 04:59 AM

What "diet" do you follow?

I'm an unhealthy vegetarian. I'm very overweight (would like to lose 70lbs) and would like to know what other vegetarians/vegans do to lose weight.

Is there a plan you follow?

Thanks!:carrot:

Haley8203 11-10-2008 06:05 AM

hi x Yael x, i am a calorie counter. i feel after you've figured out how many calories you should have a day, it's the most straightforward "plan" and it's free haha good luck!

jillnicole03 11-10-2008 08:17 AM

I use a food journal and to make sure I don't eat more than I should. Also if I don't lose one week I check to see what I've ate, and what could have 'stalled' my weight loss. I try to eat mostly whole foods and only have 1 processed food a day, with smaller portions. Trying to fit more vegetables in day to day.

Weight Watchers is good for any lifestyle (vegetarian-vegan)
Calorie Counting (like Haley said)

Good luck!! :cheer2:

tracye 11-10-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haleygirl82 (Post 2445771)
hi x Yael x, i am a calorie counter. i feel after you've figured out how many calories you should have a day, it's the most straightforward "plan" and it's free haha good luck!

This is what I do too.

I'm vegan, but there is plenty of vegan junk food out that they tempts me to stray. For me, it's all about making better informed choices: Would I like a cupcake that's 300 calories or a baked apple with cinnamon and earth balance butter for like 150 calories.

Counting calories and making better choices is the best way to go. So far, I've lost 36 lbs :)

Robot 11-11-2008 11:36 PM

I don't specifically follow a "diet" anymore, but I try to balance what I eat. I write down what I eat like jillnicole does. It has definitely helped me make better choices with food.

Beautiful Ace 11-11-2008 11:38 PM

I just eat a lot less of whatever I used to eat, cut out all junk food completely, and try cutting out pastas and stuff. Instead of spaghetti a meat sauce I eat cauliflower and meat sauce, it's freaking delicious.

KindyMom 11-12-2008 01:16 AM

I basically eat a very-low-fat vegan diet, along the lines of the McDougall plan. FitDay has been really helpful for keeping track of how many calories I eat and how much fat as well.

kierr 11-12-2008 07:37 AM

I am following a McDougall diet as well, Very low fat vegan no oil. It works like a charm.

JulieJ08 11-12-2008 12:45 PM

I just try to eat only whole grains, little sugar, lots and lots of veggies and fruit, nuts everyday, avocado every week, olive oil. I don't drink milk, but at this point, I do have yogurt (I get the Greek yogurt), and cheese (full-fat). I cook tofu or the like two or three times a week (and have dinner leftovers for lunch, so really 4-6 meals). Oh yeah, lots of beans ... I loved me my beans even before I was vegetarian :).

Really, I focus on quality (both for ingredients, and for the recipe as a whole - must be really tasty), and reasonable portions, eating slower and paying attention to whether I'm even hungry, and when I'm full but NEVER stuffed.

jillnicole03 11-12-2008 01:53 PM

Oh yeah I forgot about the Mcdougall plan, I've heard lots of great stuff about it! :)

Also there is the No 'S' diet, which is basically No Snacking, No seconds, and No sweets :-) That would work for vegan/vegetarians also.

Cassidy Lee 11-13-2008 02:09 PM

I do ww and have had a lot of success with it because most veggies are free and many of our protein options are very low in points.

stellart 11-13-2008 03:08 PM

i just googled the mcdougall diet... whoa. i dont think i could do that. that's a bit too strict for me. heh

x Yael x 11-15-2008 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone!

mirihawk 11-18-2008 07:28 PM

Hi there I was wondering if you've ever seen Natalia Rose's books? The 5 step detox plan in particular is the one I am following as I transition to raw from SAD...

jazzmegirl 11-18-2008 09:25 PM

Hey, MeriHawk, how do you like the plan so far? Been wondering if I should get the book. I've tried to go one hundred percent raw or close to it, and, from where I am now, standard vegetarian diet, it was just so drastic, both physically and mentally. I'd love more information and your personal experiences.
Amie