Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #76  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby1 View Post
As far as eating out at other people's homes: Yes, veganism is a lifestyle, at least for me, but many vegans DO eat vegan for health reasons only. Sometimes if I'm in a sticky social situation I will say I'm eating vegan for health. I'm not somebody who likes to argue and discuss my veganism, so I just make things easy on myself. So explain to your hostess that you're eating differently and ask if you can bring a delicious dessert or dish to share.

Yeah I do the same... I just say well I want to lose weight and then is the best way for me, I hate getting into a big discussion with people who say stupid things.

KIERR.. Those brownies sound DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Last edited by jillnicole03; 11-07-2008 at 09:42 AM.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #77  
Progress not perfection

Ok girls this is our weigh in so far, if you do not have your starting weight yet feel free to post it or email it to me, also if you did not weigh in this week.. no problem... you can weigh in next Thursday I put stars by your name if I do not have yesterdays weigh in
Our stats from Start Nov 3,08

Me: 170- 168.5

Tigger175: 112- 111.8

**Haleygirl82: 271.2

RDW1: 200- 199.6

**Gladgal09: 146.4

KindyMom: 158.5-158.5

Erin: 225-225

**Zinkemomx2: 256.3

**Jasmine: 269

**JulieJ08: 149.5

Darby1: 215-214

**Kierr: 203

Iriswhispers: 143.5-141

**Chickpea3241: 145

**TheHeather: ?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #78  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

Jill and Darby- thanks so much for your support, yes i keep a food journal...hopefully this week will go by better i just bought some more salad stuff this morning....the only thing that has really changed since before all this gain (25lbs) since about july is i quit smoking which i know lowers your metabolism but ive been exercising more so i figured it would supplement the smoking well i guess not! i need to start taking measurements!

kierr- that recipe sounds really interesting!
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #79  
Progress not perfection

OK ladies... I did not forget about our HAPPY GOAL So here is something to remember.... first of all you all are such awesome, inspirational women.. and great friends! I found this great little summary on lifes wonders:

Life is full of little wonders that can make us happy. The sound of a baby's laughter, a good book, the comforting smell of a favorite old sweatshirt, and the warmth from a cup of hot tea are simple pleasures that can easily put smiles on our faces. These "little things" are easily accessible to us and can be sources for finding happiness. A key to doing so is taking the time to put those rose colored glasses from childhood back on so you can easily find the joy in all the "little things" that life has to offer.

Finding a puppy rummaging through the laundry basket, trying on that perfect shade of lipstick, or discovering the extra change you left in your back pocket can turn into moments of delight. Like kids digging in the sandbox for buried trinkets, we may even begin to experience happiness when we engage in the seemingly mundane. Figuring out a software program can feel like deciphering a treasure map, and that first sip of tea in the morning can taste like a forbidden delicacy. Swaying to music playing on the radio can turn into an interpretive jig, riding a bike can seem like flying to the moon, and getting a phone call from that special someone can feel like winning the lottery. A pickup game of basketball becomes an exciting match among champions, and observing an elderly couple walking hand in hand can turn into a meditation on peace and contentment.

When we begin rediscovering that the little things in life can make us happy, we naturally want to share this joy with others. We may gush over a friend when we run into them unexpectedly, praise a street musician for their talents, or blow bubbles for the neighborhood kids to chase. We may even start to think of the little things we can do to make other people happy, which in turn makes us happy all over again. There is an endless supply of little things and little moments that can make us happy. All we have to do is look for them, and they'll magically start to appear.

What do you think?
Old 11-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #80  

Height: 5'2''

Thanks everyone for the input on the dinner tonight. I'm thinking of making those brownies and bringing them with- everyone here loves desserts

Jill- thanks for your happy goal quote. It reminds me of myself because my friends always tell me I'm easily entertained- but its just because I like to appreciate everything I have, no matter how small. Life is happy and easier when you can see each little joy as a gift.

I think I should participate in the happy goal each week too. I saw a quote in the locker room the other day and I like it's message: “Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall.” -Oliver Goldsmith. I like to remind myself that no matter how many things go wrong, or how many mistakes I make, I can still succeed if I pull myself up 1 more time.

So I've told my boyfriend of 4 years (he is back home in the states while I'm in Ireland studying) that I'm a vegetarian now. He seems to support it and has started having what he calls his "vegetarian meal" each day- which means either for lunch or dinner he doesn't eat meat/fish, which makes me proud However, when I mentioned to him that I'm also trying out not eating milk or dairy he seemed kind of upset and stated "you are not a vegan." I think it might be just because he likes cheese so much (and all things with cheese- pizza, quesidillas, cheesy mashed potatoes :-p) but I don't understand why he would be opposed to me drinking soy milk and eating soy cheese (although they do not have soy cheese in Ireland it appears because I have checked 4 grocery stores with no success). I guess thinking back to before, I thought it must be very difficult for vegans to eat, but now it seems natural and its a lot easier to refrain from eating milk and cheese then I thought. For example, my roomate wanted me to taste his pesto last night to make sure it hadn't gone bad, but i knew there was cheese in it and I had this really strong impulse not to eat it. I've heard it takes 3 weeks to break a habit, and I guess its true because I have no desire to eat anything that I used to eat.

As a side note, thinking about my boyfriend and the future, do any of you have children that you feed vegetarian/vegan diets? I'm still not fully educated (but I'm listening to more informative podcasts each day) and I'm wondering if I can raise my future children meat and dairy free? I know you can start giving kids cow's milk after a certain age (around one) but can you give them soymilk instead? I might have to do some research :-p

Dee
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #81  
Haley wants to run!

Height: 5'9"

tigger175-in response to asking about having kids on a veg diet. my daughter eats everything, i just don't feel right about making such a big decision that should be personal to her for her. thats my take on it.
Haley8203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #82  
Progress not perfection

Tigger.. thats great that your boyfriend is trying to be supportive! You know before I started no dairy.. I really did not understand why people didn't eat dairy either.. I thought why not? You're not 'killing' anything... but after really reading about it do I now realize all the hurt that comes from eating dairy. Maybe in the future if you read a book together with more facts, he will understand.

I personally have no children, but I wouldn't feed my child anything with dairy or meat. Once they are older if they decide to eat it that is fine, but while growing up there are so many great 'vegan' friendly kid meals. There are so many bad things that come from eating meat and dairy and I wouldn't want to put my childs health at risk. Reading a few books on being 'vegan/vegetarian' really has taught me so many great things. I know it will be hard because at relaztives houses they may want to give them those foods... but I will pack meals for them, or give them lists of ideas that my child can have. This is definitely something that each person should research themselves, and then make the decision on
Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM   #83  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Height: 5' 10"

Okay ladies:

SW: 326
Mini Goal: 320
Christmas Goal: 310

There. Now I'm officially in.

And through it all I only gained 2 lbs...

Not complaining!
THE Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillnicole03 View Post
Ok girls this is our weigh in so far, if you do not have your starting weight yet feel free to post it or email it to me, also if you did not weigh in this week.. no problem... you can weigh in next Thursday I put stars by your name if I do not have yesterdays weigh in
Our stats from Start Nov 3,08
Ooohhh. I was still thinking Friday. Thursday (yesterday) was 148.5.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #85  
Progress not perfection

TheHeather... great goals You can do it

JulieJ.. no problem great job on the loss!

Last edited by jillnicole03; 11-07-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE Heather View Post
Okay ladies:

SW: 326
Mini Goal: 320
Christmas Goal: 310

There. Now I'm officially in.

And through it all I only gained 2 lbs...

Not complaining!
Good job. You caught it early! That's actually very hard to do, so

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-07-2008 at 01:10 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #87  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

And good luck to you all....

Today started out slow. I forgot my lunch, so looks like I'm going to have to get some Pei Wei (love their tofu and it's somewhere that I can get my omni coworkers to go with me).

I've made a goal to work out 15 times this month. I know that doesn't seem like too much, but because I don't work out too much I feel like it's a reasonable goal.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM   #88  
Vegan from Planet Vega

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Good job. You caught it early! That's actually very hard to do, so
Thanks!

Actually I'm amazed that it was so little with as much as I did.

But I'm trying to get this together
Old 11-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #89  

S/C/G: 270/209/170

Height: 5ft 7

I have a son, but he is only 4 months old. My husband is an omnivore and I am a vegan. We decided early in my pregnancy that our son would know and be ok with both diets, but he would eat meat and dairy. OUr comprise was that he would eat veggie alternatives to things like chicken nuggets and wieners. But, now that he is here and I actually have to start giving him solids soon, I am having such an internal struggle accepting giving him meat. I always thought that I was a vegan for personal reasons because I simply hated the texture of meat, but it turns out there are some moral reasons too which I dont feel comfortable telling my husband or family. I havent voiced this with my husband because I know how he would feel about raising our child vegetarian.
So, I guess its not an answer to your question, but more of a rant. I dont know how to deal with giving my son solids because I feel so against what me and my husband had previously decided on.
*sigh*...
Good luck to you though when you cross that bridge! I guess the only answer I have is Its not an easy situation to deal with if your significant other is a meat eater.
erinmagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #90  

Height: 5'2''

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience/thoughts on raising children vegeterian/vegan. I just want you to know I really appreciate all of your input and i respect each of your opinions.

Now on to a rant...
I'm taking a vertebrate comparative structure class at school and it has a weekly lab, which consists of dissection. I'm studying to be a doctor so dissection is necessary but since my switch I still feel guilty that animals had to die for my knowledge. Because of this I'm always respectful in lab and really appreciate the animal (even when its just a fish, or rat, or pigeon). But the other kids in my lab are driving me crazy! They record videos on their cell phones of the dead animals doing different things and today while we were dissecting pigeons one boy kept sticking his pencil up the bird's cloaca (which in birds is the 3-in-1 hole) and everyone thought it was funny how he was "deflowering his bird." I'm just so upset at such blatant disrespect. The bird was killed so they could learn and they are making a joke out of it.... urg... i just had to rant and I knew you all would understand
tigger175 is offline   Reply With Quote