Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 PM   #1  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Default Vegan Holiday foods

I can't remember what I did last year exactly for Thanksgiving but I figure its good to hash out ideas. I will probably visit the inlaws for Thanksgiving but not sure. If so, they'll cook a turkey for themselves and I'll take care of the rest.

I remember I did make chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon
http://www.chow.com/recipes/11364

I also did a mushroom gravy, that I got from either Veganomicon or Vegan with a Vengeance

For veggies, I probably steamed some green beans and roasted potatoes. For dessert, I made an apple tart.

I will probably do something similar this year if we decide to spend Thanksgiving with the family.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM   #2  
it's always something

Sounds great! I bought the ingredients for the chickpea cutlets but haven't tried them. Are they as good as everyone says?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #3  
Just Me

From what I remember, yes, they are very good. You should try them! I haven't made them since but that is mostly because I'm lazy. I also ran out of wheat gluten and keep forgeeting to buy some more.

I also plan to peruse blog.fatfreevegan.com over the next couple weeks for ideas. I just looked and she had this awesome looking pumpkin/black bean casserole. I'm so addicted to pumpkin right now, its not even funny.
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/10...casserole.html
Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #4  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

You're awesome Nelie! Great ideas I'm excited!! Every new thing I make is exciting lol
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #5  
it's always something

Oh that pumpkin dish looks fantastic! I'm surprised it has less than 300 cal, too.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/152/140

Height: 5' 6"

All of these ideas look great! I'm planning to make this Hemp Loaf: manitobaharvest.com/recipes/recipe.asp?id=85 using flax as an egg replacement. It's not the most diet-friendly, but you know, it's Thanksgiving, right? Plus, you get all sorts of fiber and omega-3s from the hemp and flax. Other than that, I usually just whip up some veggie gravy and enjoy the rest of the dishes available. The chick pea cutlets and pumpkin dish sound awesome... may just have to change my plan.
Cassidy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

OMG the chickpea cutlets are heaven. I'm making some this weekend. I make a large batch as they freeze pretty well also

I think I'm taking the Pumpkin Ricotta with Cashew Ricotta and Sage Breadcrumbs as a sidedish to my grandmother's t-day dinner. She normally does everything but isn't quite clear on this vegan thing. There will be veggies also that I will eat.
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307/ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I'm making about.com's tofu turkey, mushroom gravy, green bean casserole, cornbread stuffing, wheat rolls, pumpkin cheesecake, and an apple pie, all vegan. I'm not vegan myself, but I want to be one day down the road, and I wanted to see how my family would react to the animal-free goodness (no one will touch the tofu turkey besides me, unfortunately {or fortunately?}).
Gypsy Severina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/163/130

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for starting this thread. My son is bascially vegan (except for chicken) because of his allergies.
htg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/115/120

Height: 5'1"

I am still transitioning to vegan, but have found the VeganDad blog very inspiring so far. Things just look so yummy! I was reading (drooling) last night and worried about Christmas dinner with Mom and Dad and found two recipes that were vegan versions of roast and stuffing:
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/06...-stuffing.html
http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/10...-rice-and.html
nakedmango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:06 PM   #11  
Just Me

I wanted to report back, the black bean/pumpkin casserole is awesome!! I plan to make it often.

I did quarter and microwave the pumpkin a little to make it a bit easier to peel.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Okay, I made the chickpea cutlets the other day, and I have no idea what I did wrong, but they were terrible. I'll probably try them again just to see if it was a fluke. I do know that I didn't mash the chickpeas as well as I could have. Any hints I may have missed?
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #13